Ideas for a speaker setup?

FIDDYOWNZ

Gawd
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
821
Hey guys.

Well I'm getting a bit tired of my 2.1 speaker setup.

(http://quantumstar.com/RCARTD218/supplier_partno)

So I was looking to get a new speaker setup. I have virtually no experience as far as audio for PCs. I have setup 5.1 / 7.1, but I guess I don't know whats good or not. I'm more of a hardware guy, not much of an audiofile.

So do you guys have any suggestions? I don't mind setting all the stuff up, I really just want to get the most bang for the buck as I can.

Here are a few things I would like to see with my new setup, if at all possible.

× Clarity
× Bass (I listen to hip-hop, metal, ect. So I love my speakers to be LOUD, and full of bass)
× No distortion at higher volumes
× Looks nice
× Easy maintenance
× 5.1 or 7.1, I'm a gamer so I would like to be able to hear someone coming, from one direction rather than through all the speakers.

My sound card is a Audigy 4 GS, or something like that. I know it's compatible with 7.1/5.1 ect. Also, size isn't an issue here, since my desk is pretty decent sized.

I probably sound like a retard to you guys, but if you could please humor me. I am willing to spend $200 on this setup, maybe a bit more if it's worth it. I guess it's probably too little to spend on a system like this but I'm hoping I can get something decent.

Thanks in advance ;)

~FID
 
Harman Kardon HS-100 HTIB's sub will grant you the bass you desire, but you will need a receiver or HTIB which has discrete analog inputs coming from your current sound card or an older Auzentech sound card that will decode the audio stream going to the receiver via toslink. The HS-100 will set you back around $300 at Fry's if they still carry it. You can always go the Klipsch 5.1 self powered route? don't expect chest pounding bass though
 
Harman Kardon HS-100 HTIB's sub will grant you the bass you desire, but you will need a receiver or HTIB which has discrete analog inputs coming from your current sound card or an older Auzentech sound card that will decode the audio stream going to the receiver via toslink. The HS-100 will set you back around $300 at Fry's if they still carry it. You can always go the Klipsch 5.1 self powered route? don't expect chest pounding bass though

Ha ha. You totally lost me somewhere in there. I am NOT AN AUDIOPHILE. But thanks anyways, now at least I have an idea of whats considered ''good''. What is the cheapest route to go as far as a custom setup like the one posted above? I mean, like I don't wanna sound like a cheap skate, but unfortunately I'm 15.

It doesn't have to be super high-end, just something I can turn up and enjoy.

Ideas?
 
If you want a "bassy" system, check out the Logitechs.

X-540 = $100
Z-5300 = $200
Z-5500 = $400

Those are all list prices. Check around for street prices.
 
If you want a "bassy" system, check out the Logitechs.

X-540 = $100
Z-5300 = $200
Z-5500 = $400

Those are all list prices. Check around for street prices.

Hey, thanks for those suggestions. Well I think I'll be going with the Z-5500's, I'll order them next Sunday night or so.

Thanks again for all the help! Those Z-55's look hella sexy! ;)
 
Back
Top