Ideal P4 Temperatures?

Goliath

n00b
I have a new P4 2.8c chip, running at stock speed, and using the retail heatsink/fan. I was wondering what the ideal temperatures for this chip is. I am running around 42c idle, and low to mid 50's during gaming sessions.

For what its worth i have a thermaltake xaser II case with 5 fans, while these keep the system and pci/agp slots pretty cool, it doesnt do much for the cpu. I also use arctic silver 5 thermal compound.

Should i be concerned with the temps, and if so what recommendations do you have to lower it?

I'm sure this has been posted numerous times, but with the search feature being disabled, i cannot find the information.

THX!

That's not too bad, you could lose a few degrees, but i believe the chips are speced up to 70 C. My 2.8c runs at 38C idle and 46C max w/ load.

Since you're not overclocking, the stock hs is fine and your temps are well within the norm.

Those are perfectly fine temperatures. Anything below the mid 60Cs is within specs (IIRC).

However, the ideal P4 temperature range is just above 0 degrees Kelvin. :p

I ran the cpu burn in test on SiSoft sandra and looped it 4 times. My cpu was up to 60.5c when i stopped it. Something doesnt seem right.

Does anyone know how this burn in test compairs to say, some hardcore gaming?

Are there any good recomendations for a new heatsink/fan that can get the temp down a bit?

Just try Prime95. It's what 90% of us [H]ers use to stress test our computers.

With everyday gaming and computing, it'll probably never run as hot as when you run Prime95.

Originally posted by subscience
Just try Prime95. It's what 90% of us [H]ers use to stress test our computers.

With everyday gaming and computing, it'll probably never run as hot as when you run Prime95.

Thx!
After 10 min of Prime95'ing my temps are:
Cpu 64c
system 29c
Pwm 48c

cpu seems a little high!

Originally posted by Goliath
Thx!
After 10 min of Prime95'ing my temps are:
Cpu 64c
system 29c
Pwm 48c

cpu seems a little high!

Hm.. That is a bit high. Try reseating your HSF. Did you apply the thermal conducting grease correctly? You're supposed to spread a very thin layer (almost transparent).

Also, do you use an Abit motherboard? They're known to read temps ~10C too high.

Hm.. That is a bit high. Try reseating your HSF. Did you apply the thermal conducting grease correctly? You're supposed to spread a very thin layer (almost transparent).

Also, do you use an Abit motherboard? They're known to read temps ~10C too high.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, do you use an Abit motherboard? They're known to read temps ~10C too high.[/B]

I applyed arctic silver by putting a drop on the center of the cpu then lowering the heatsink down on it. Is it better to spread it then lower the heatsink, despite what the website says?

Also, i do have an Abit mobo :)

Also added a sapphire radeon 9800pro last night and i'm sure that dont help with the heat :(

***Noob-alert***

My friend just informed me of something that might be the cause of my high temps.

When applying the artic silver, i took off the wax off the bottom of the heatsink, but left that silver foil on there....he told me i need to take that off and also clean the rest of the wax off thats under that THEN use the thermal compound.

LOL @ me....

Thanks for your help guys, you can tell this is my first build.....

Originally posted by Goliath
***Noob-alert***

My friend just informed me of something that might be the cause of my high temps.

When applying the artic silver, i took off the wax off the bottom of the heatsink, but left that silver foil on there....he told me i need to take that off and also clean the rest of the wax off thats under that THEN use the thermal compound.

LOL @ me....

Thanks for your help guys, you can tell this is my first build.....

LOL!

I think we found your culprit. :)

Also, it's a good idea to spread the grease around rather than just apply a drop.

What the thermal grease is used for is to fill the microscopic gaps between the CPU and the heatsink. Therefore you don't need gobs and gobs of it to have optimal thermal transfer -- in fact, too much can be detrimental to heat transfer.

is that a confirmed fact or just some random observation?

and a question on the topic
i pushed a p4 2000 to 2666 (100-> 133 fsb).
the cpu temp is within range (60-62) and prime95 seems to run stable (been running for 40 mins now), but the PWM temp seems to be kinda high (65).
is there a reason to panic? (the winbond hw monitor that comes with abit boards seems to think so).
mobo is abit is7.

Originally posted by asdad
is that a confirmed fact or just some random observation?

and a question on the topic
i pushed a p4 2000 to 2666 (100-> 133 fsb).
the cpu temp is within range (60-62) and prime95 seems to run stable (been running for 40 mins now), but the PWM temp seems to be kinda high (65).
is there a reason to panic? (the winbond hw monitor that comes with abit boards seems to think so).
mobo is abit is7.

More or less a confirmed fact. I'd reseat the heatsink as it seems a little high even for an abit.

more or less :)

does it apply to all temperatures then?
and how does the cpu heatsink temp affect PWM temp?

More or less as in its EXTREMELY common if not a set in stone fact. I believe its calibrated high. I'm not sure about ALL temperatures but I do know the cpu is high. My [email protected] runs at 50C after 24 hours of Prime95 on my asus, but using the 10C typical abit reading that would be 60C. This is on a alpha 8942, one of the best air coolers out there.

You must realize temps are going to also be a little higher than the "typical" as you are using the stock hsf and most of us do not use it.

Theres actually some threads over on the abit support forums about their boards reading temperatures too hot too.

Some of their members have tested the same cpu, ram, etc.....in other manufactueres boards (asus, msi, gigabite) and averaged 7c degrees lower than the same equipment used in the abit boards.

From what i hear abit uses a mathimatical formula to determine the temperatures that their bios displays, rather than boards like asus which use an actual temperature probe under or near the CPU. Now if this is true i dont know.

Interesting read for people who have questions (like myself)
From the ABIT FAQ Site:
Q:
Is the CPU temperature too high? Why is the CPU temperature of my ABIT motherboard higher than some other motherboard with the same chipset? (ABIT P4 mainboards)

A:
The way CPU temperature measured in the BIOS or in the hardware monitor is through an I/O chip on the motherboard. That I/O chip probes a voltage given by the CPU thermal diode, and then BIOS / hardware monitor reads this value and uses some mathematical way to calculate the approximate temperature. According to Intel, there is another temperature sensing diode, which is responsible for the CPU overheating protection. When the CPU junction temperature reaches approximately 135 degrees Celsius (275 degrees F), the processor will turn down itself. That is, we can say the CPU is quite safe if it is less then 135 degrees Celsius (275 degrees F).

Since the temperature is “calculated”, not “measured”, the formula which the BIOS uses will make the outcome different.

Heres the rest of the answer...
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/qa/2003/2003052801.htm

Makes some sense.....if im understanding it like i think i am :)

doesnt that mean that the displayed temperatures are worth diddly squat?
i mean, the mobo can measure the voltare, fan rpm's, processor load, overclocking ratio and whatnot, but it can't possibly measure how much fudge i stuck between the proc and HS or what sort of cooling i'm using at all.
this seems a little far fetched...

and if it displays 7 degrees too much, why wouldnt they just add -7 to their magical divination formula :)

edit: my question from two posts above: how would the processor heatsink affect PWM temperature? if not, how would i reduce it then?

I read the whole thread over at abit re: the temp controversy a few days ago after putting a 2.8c in a ic-7. At first I got all nerved out until I realized: "Hey, I'm running at 37c idle, 53c cranked on prime95,3dmark, and spy-bot! Yes I did say spy bot
;)
This is at 3080ghz on a stock Intel hsf in an Antec 1080amg case with 2 front intakes, 1 side and 2 exhaust case fans plus the 2 on the true power 430psu and the vid, nb and cpu fans.
Temps stay in this range pretty much no matter what I do although I know this is a tame o/c and they could go up if I go nuts. This tells me 2 things: The antec case and fans are doing what they're supposed to do and not to give a crap about what the Abit utility reports for temps.
I do have a shutdown plan implimented in case Intels thermal protection plan fails.
Party on Garth.

My mom's new 3.4C runs at about 63 when Priming with the stock HSF, and to keep it that cool the poor thing has to sound like a fricking blow-dryer. I offered to order a Zalman like my rig has. Man, I thought the Sonata had bad airflow, then I met the Overture. There is absolutely no room for cabling and there's very little intake space. But it looks really cool though :D. Just not an OCer's mobo. Or, it could be, but with additional fans and venting. And yes it's an ABit motherboard so hopefully the temp isn't really that high, at least when compared to what I'm used to.

BTW, this CPU has the whole spectrum of, well, those little brown bumpy thingies on the bottom, unlike my older 2.6C, which didn't have as many. (It's too late for me to try and remember the proper name. Capacitors?) Is this a castrated EE that I have like the M0 stepping of 2.4Cs? Too bad it's in my mom's rig; with the right cooling I bet it'd OC like a beast. Besides, who's going to notice the diff between a 3.2 and a 3.8 or 4.2 in anything outside benchies? That and mine doesn't sound like a hair dryer :D.

My baby 2.6C runs at 30C idle and about 47C when priming, and that's with the exhaust fan on low and on an Asus mobo.

I have the exact same case with a 3.2 and a 9800xt that runs hot.

The cpu runs at 42 c full load and 34 c at rest.

Case temp is alway around 32c. I am using a Zalman cooler but she ran about the same temp with the stock heatsink. I think you may want to revisit your thermal compound application technique.

Clean up your processor and run a bead of your thermal grease along one side of the top and use a credit card to drag it across teh surface. if you used thermal grease or paste in conjunction with the thermal tape that came on the stock heatsink then thats your problem.

You use one or the other.

Also, it's a good idea to spread the grease around rather than just apply a drop.

whats the temp difference between the two? well im getting some AS5 soon anyway, maybe ill test both methods.

Back