IDE configuration help

space_monkey

Limp Gawd
Just bought a WD 2000JB (200GB, 8MB cache),
need advice on how to hookup the 4 IDE drives on 2 channels.
Abit KX7-333 (no RAID). I have read that having a CD drive on the same IDE cable as a HDD can seriously reduce its performance, is this still true, and should I be concerned about this? I will be using rounded dual-connector ATA133 cables.

Here's what I need to connect:

WD 200GB 7200rpm HDD
Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm HDD
Pioneer A06 DVD-RW
Yamaha CDRW-F1

My current thinking is that I could live with reduced performance of hard drive - to - hard drive transfers, and I certainly don't want to burn any DVD or CD coasters, or have my hard drive seize up whenever an optical drive is reading/writing (unsure if this can still happen).

So here is what I am considering:

Primary Master: 200GB HDD
Primary Slave: 60GB HDD
Secondary Master: DVDRW
Secondary Slave: CDRW

Your comments, suggestions please. If anybody has their DVDRW or CDRW on the same cable as their HDD, let me know.

And one more question: I have a Quantum 30GB HDD that I suspect is dying (intermittent read errors). Can somebody suggest a proggie that I could use to test this hard drive before I just toss it out? I know that a certain number of bad sectors can be marked off but is this just going to waste my time?

TIA

here's the thing.
it realy shouldn't matter any more.

most ATA100 and all ATA133 controllers support independant device timings. So you can run a Hard drive at ATA100 speed, and a CD at ATA33 on the same cable.

the only time independent device timing wont work is when one of the drives is in PIO mode and the other in DMA, all modern drives are DMA but can default to PIO if there is a problem, then Independent device timing will default both to PIO on that channel.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html

all that really means is that, you need to veify they are all properly functioning in DMA, and that if an issue develops
you resolve it ;)

Back