id Software's Official DOOM3 Benchmarks

It's important to talk about which cards run better for the ppl who are looking at buying new cards.

As consumers, we'll get better products the more educated we are. It keeps the two vidcard companies in tip-top shape to know they have to compete damn hard to get our dollars.

MadSkills said:
It's important to talk about which cards run better for the ppl who are looking at buying new cards.

As consumers, we'll get better products the more educated we are. It keeps the two vidcard companies in tip-top shape to know they have to compete damn hard to get our dollars.

I agree with that too...however upgrading just for DOOM3 seems very silly to me.

V0ltage said:
rofl, everyone with an X800 just got hardcore RAGED.

Not Everyone with an X800 is playing Doom 3. Wait for HL2; If it ever comes out. But ya. Only people that bought the X800 just for Doom 3 did get owned.

|-Goku-|

mi1stormilst said:
I agree with that too...however upgrading just for DOOM3 seems very silly to me.

Yea i upgrded from a 9600XT but an upgrade was due and now would be the time to do it as far as i can see, and this card should last me at least 8-9 mos...

|-Goku-| said:
Not Everyone with an X800 is playing Doom 3. Wait for HL2; If it ever comes out. But ya. Only people that bought the X800 just for Doom 3 did get owned.

|-Goku-|

People still running a Kyro2 got owned, lets keep some perspective here... :p

I just downloaded the Catalyst 4.9 beta drivers for Doom 3. I have a Radeon 9800, and I have seen a large increase in performance. I wanted to bring this up because, as it has been said before, driver updates can change the way the GPU market runs.
Besides all that, the game is incredible.

P4 3.4C Northwood CPU
1GB OCZ 4200EL Memory
MSI 875P Neo FIS2R System Board
ATI X800 Pro Video Card
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus Ultra 120GB HD
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Sound Card
Plextor Premium 52x CD-R
Plextor PX-708A DVDR
Iomega Zip 750 ATAPI Internal
Sony Multiscan G410 19" FD Trinitron Monitor
Antec Plus 860 Full Tower Case
5 Antec Case fans
Antec True 430 PS
Windows XP Professional with Directx 9.0b and ATI Catalyst 4.7 Drivers

Running slightly overclocked @ 17x206 MHz FSB or 3502 MHz with no heat problems.

X800 pro running in Overdrive mode @ 506 MHz

3DMark03 score 10,400 @1024x768/ 8167 @1280x1024

I run all games including Doom 3 at 1280x1024 with good frame rates.

My system scored 47.4 fps in the Doom 3 timedemo at 1280x1024. Doom 3 settings are 1280x1024, high quality, FSAA OFF. Turning on FSAA causes frame rates to drop significantly with little or no change in display quality.

I got most of the parts at newegg.com. Good service and good prices.

I think I understand why the [H]ard benchmarks for the X800 Pro were so low. Perhaps a poor choice of hardware and poor configuration of that hardware. The Northwood processors have consistently outperformed equivalent Prescott processors for gaming while generating less heat and using less power. The 875P/AGP has also outperformed comparable 9XX/LGA 775/PCI Express systems at lower cost. The OCZ 4200EL memory is the fastest DDR memory available and half the cost of the DDR2 533 memory needed for LGA 775 systems. LGA 775/9XX/Prescott systems will eventually come down in price, improve heat dissipation and performance over Northwood/875 but they have not done so yet. The LGA 775/9XX systems are also much harder to overclock than 875/AGP systems. You also failed to mention the power requirements of the 6800 GT/Ultra and Prescott processors. A 480 watt power supply would be a minimum for your system configuration. I was able to run my 3.4C/X800 Pro off of my existing Antec True 430 with no problems. The X800 pro uses about the same amount of power as the 9800 Pro. A system configured like your benchmark test system is not a good choice for 3D gaming at this time in my opinion. I am not surprised that the X800 Pro performed so poorly in your benchmarks.

+Plague+ said:
do you guys see a 9800 pro doing 40+ fps on 1024?
Wow, this thread is still alive? Yeah, my 9800pro gets over 40fps @ 1024X768 High quality, and rarely dips below 30fps with 2xAA 2xAF added.

t-readyroc said:
Are the timedemo's used in these benchmarks available for download somewhere?

its part of the game.

bring down the command console: ctrl + alt + ~

and type in: timedemo demo1

there's your benchmark...

Back