• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ICH8R: Create RAID 1 without erasing data?

yojimbo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
218
The 250 GB hard drive in my signature is serving as my storage volume for my files and other large programs that take up tons of space. The original intent was to create a RAID 1 volume using two 250 GB hard drives, but, being in a bit of a rush during my recent hardware transition, I had to start utilizing space on the storage volume. Not being terribly familiar with Intel's Matrix RAID utilities, and before I go buy a new 250 GB hard drive for naught, I was wondering if it was possible to create a RAID 1 without erasing the data from the existing drives in the system. If a straight-forward description for set-up can be offered, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
 
99% of the time, going into a raid level 1, does not touch the data on the source drive, it may take a while to sync the data, but after that, everything should be good.
 
I believe that the storage controlling software allow you to chose which disk is the "source". I suggest you know which of your disks has the data on it.
 
gjvrieze: Good to know. Thanks!

drizzt81: I take it that Intel's software is non-specific as to which port a hard disk is plugged in to? The BIOS lists a Primary Master/Slave & Secondary Master/Slave for the first 4 ports on the ICH8R (ports 5 & 6 are called 3rd Master and 4th Master).
 
Back
Top