Relativist
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Nov 1, 2008
- Messages
- 473
So, I'm still on an overclocked Q6600 & my trusty P5E-VM that has served me well - which I added a new video card for last year, a GTX 560 Ti. I am considering three choices, but before I lay them out I want to say that I will be getting at least one GTX680 for gaming and I do not care if it is 'CPU Limited' because I'd rather turn off some goodies for better scores, plus I game at 1920x1200, but I do want to get the most out of my system. (Multimonitor may be something I do once I upgrade) When I do eventually upgrade the GTX560Ti I have in my current system will likely go back into it and it will live on as an extra PC for whatever I can think of to use it for.
So... I noticed there is quite a bit of unloading of Q9550 CPUs out there, probably some people selling their old stuff getting ready to buy IB. So should I:
1. Go with a used Q9550 to get me to Haswell. or,
2. Build an Ivy Bridge ATX system when released. or,
3. Leave my system alone and live with a nice GTX680 running on a Q6600 and try and push the OC a bit more.
My computing is mostly done with my Macbook, iPad, etc. when I'm home I use my PC for graphics intensive gaming and a bit of computational stuff (CUDA related) for my research. It is also left on BOINCing 24/7 (Einstein@home). Also I am interested in trying multi-monitor eventually, but that can wait till I upgrade if it won't work for some reason with a GTX680/Q6600.
P.S. last time I checked my CPU usage while gaming I was at about 80% on all 4 cores while OCed at 400MHz FSB with an 8x multiplier, giving 3.2GHz. My OC is by no means optimized, I just don't spend the time to fiddle with it any longer. Oh and money isn't a big concern for me, it's just that as we all know delaying a large purchase can sometimes be very good for the long term (like using a paid off car as long as reasonable).
So... I noticed there is quite a bit of unloading of Q9550 CPUs out there, probably some people selling their old stuff getting ready to buy IB. So should I:
1. Go with a used Q9550 to get me to Haswell. or,
2. Build an Ivy Bridge ATX system when released. or,
3. Leave my system alone and live with a nice GTX680 running on a Q6600 and try and push the OC a bit more.
My computing is mostly done with my Macbook, iPad, etc. when I'm home I use my PC for graphics intensive gaming and a bit of computational stuff (CUDA related) for my research. It is also left on BOINCing 24/7 (Einstein@home). Also I am interested in trying multi-monitor eventually, but that can wait till I upgrade if it won't work for some reason with a GTX680/Q6600.
P.S. last time I checked my CPU usage while gaming I was at about 80% on all 4 cores while OCed at 400MHz FSB with an 8x multiplier, giving 3.2GHz. My OC is by no means optimized, I just don't spend the time to fiddle with it any longer. Oh and money isn't a big concern for me, it's just that as we all know delaying a large purchase can sometimes be very good for the long term (like using a paid off car as long as reasonable).
Last edited: