i865PE

kovermours

Limp Gawd
Which one of these should I pick for a new system?

Asus P4P800 Deluxe
Abit IS7-G
MSI Neo2-FIS2R
Or, pick another one

Things I like in a mobo:

CSA G-Lan
Prescott support
3 ATA channels (6 drives) or more
No northbridge fan
Lots of room around the zif for a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu
Price

Or, should I wait for PCI-Express and BTX and all that crap?

The Asus one seems your best bet. ie : no NB fan, Giga Lan, but only 2 ATA channels

Originally posted by camay123
The Asus one seems your best bet. ie : no NB fan, Giga Lan, but only 2 ATA channels

yeah, but the Asus doesn't have CSA lan, it's on the PCI bus.

I think Gigabyte had a board similar to the Asus but it had the CSA Lan on it...as well as their dual power gimick.

don't remember what model it was though.

I have the Asus you mention, and like it minus a few problems (cpu voltage seems to be a minimum of 1.6v even if it's set to 1.52 in bios. It won't read ANY chasis fan speed. and it often tells me my cpu fan stopped spinning when in reality it didn't.)

Stefan, that would be nice, but Newegg doesn't ship to Canada.

After checking into that MSI board, the Neo2-FIS2R, I think I'm going to get it. Its only drawback is the NB fan, which I guess I can replace with a Zalman NB cooler. I can only hope it has pin holes near it.

MSI Neo2-FIS2R

Originally posted by kovermours
Stefan, that would be nice, but Newegg doesn't ship to Canada.

After checking into that MSI board, the Neo2-FIS2R, I think I'm going to get it. Its only drawback is the NB fan, which I guess I can replace with a Zalman NB cooler. I can only hope it has pin holes near it.

MSI Neo2-FIS2R

I love my MSI. Does everything Overclocking wise it's suppose to do :)

Camay, how is the nb hsf attached to the mobo? can you take pics? that stupid-ass fan may be the only reason I can think of to wait for a better (ie LGA w/ pci-express) mobo to come along. I'm blowing a lot of cash on making a silent system and I want to be able to get rid of that stupid flashy fan. Here in canadianomanoramaland a Zalman nb heatsink is like eight bucks. eyyy!

I like the Abit board. I've had extremely bad luck with Asus P4 boards lately (specifically the P4P800-VM and P4P800S) so I can't recommend 'em.

Originally posted by kovermours
Camay, how is the nb hsf attached to the mobo? can you take pics? that stupid-ass fan may be the only reason I can think of to wait for a better (ie LGA w/ pci-express) mobo to come along. I'm blowing a lot of cash on making a silent system and I want to be able to get rid of that stupid flashy fan. Here in canadianomanoramaland a Zalman nb heatsink is like eight bucks. eyyy!

I cannot take a pic, I dont have a digicam. But from the photo from the link you posted you can see that there is two metal pins that hook themself to the motherboard.

You would need something like this : (the intel version) or with this type of attachement.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx159.asp

The P4P800 is nice, and it does have PAT.

But PAT does not work at any speeds over 200Mhz FSB without a BIOS hack.

I'm running the P4P800 right now in my main rig. It only has the 3Com gigabit, so its a little bit inferior to the Intel CSA gigabit. The sound is great from onboard stereo, but the center and rear channels are muted (In otherwords great for stereo, crappy for 5.1 movies)

I've got the revision 2.00A mobo with a 3.2Ghz P4 that can overclock to 3.5 with all stock intel cooling :)

Back