• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

i7 CPUs in Servers? --- Issues ??

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
4,017
Anyone used i7 desktop based CPUs in a server environment ?

Having a nice quad core with 24gb RAM in a couple servers on the cheap sure is appealing.

I know it won't handle ECC RAM.

Buy beyond that, if I`m using a RAID Card w/SAS drives, and proper cooling is there anything specifically to watch out for ?

If this doesn't have too big of downfalls, I'd plan to make and use a couple of these for various purposes, some local, some co-located. (Running CentOS)

Opinions/Thoughts please :)
 
There is no problem at all running desktop processors in servers. I have done this at work for my department for many years. Although 5 to 7 years ago the big reason for me wanting server processors was to get more cores and to allow more memory. The more cores part is not a big problem anymore for me however I would still like REG ECC with my servers I do not make it a deal breaker.
 
if you are looking to buy the newer SandyBridge i7s, might make more $-sense to get Xeon E3-1230s, put them on a 1155 consumer motherboard (you lose ECC compatibility), but cheaper over all :D
 
Anyone used i7 desktop based CPUs in a server environment ?

Having a nice quad core with 24gb RAM in a couple servers on the cheap sure is appealing.

I know it won't handle ECC RAM.

Buy beyond that, if I`m using a RAID Card w/SAS drives, and proper cooling is there anything specifically to watch out for ?

If this doesn't have too big of downfalls, I'd plan to make and use a couple of these for various purposes, some local, some co-located. (Running CentOS)

Opinions/Thoughts please :)

The Xeon boards tend to have the IPMI/Remote console and built in video that is useful for servers as well as nice Dual or Quad intel GBE NICs. These features are available on Single CPU boards too so in the main I would just make sure you have an appropriate motherboard, the loss of ECC is not a big issue for most uses.

Also if you are talking about LGA2011 I would wait a couple of weeks until Romley releases. Supermicro and others will release single CPU boards for the E5-16XX Xeons, these will have a very similar price to their desktop equivilents but will support ECC and no overclocking. The server chipset variants will have the option of 8 integrated Intel SAS too which could be a bargain for you if the integrated SAS is good enough for your planned usage.
 
Shouldn't be an issue. I've used many desktop CPU's in servers. Most important thing is using a decent server class motherboard.
 
Thanks for the info guys.

$99 for 24gb RAM is very appealing :D :D thus my interest.

With the prices of i7-9xx and mobos nowdays can get a really nice 24gb setup for dirt cheap.
Could very cheaply get 2-3 of these and use distributed cache for very fast data access :D :D

Wait a couple months, and the newer i7s will probably drop too, but are those Tripple Channel so ram would be dirt cheap too ? If not then could be 2x as much.

I`ll keep an eye on Xeon E3-1230, and see what I can do price wise with that :)
 
I guess my next questions should be:


Which i7-9xx is the best power to cost ratio ?

What about 24gb ram packages sold 100$-150$.. Any kits that overclock decent? Budget would be 100-150$ for the 24gb packs.

What about motherboards with good onboard SATA/SAS controller.
 
if you are looking to buy the newer SandyBridge i7s, might make more $-sense to get Xeon E3-1230s, put them on a 1155 consumer motherboard (you lose ECC compatibility), but cheaper over all :D

Make sure you absolutely want this chip. There is only support for one processor. SMP will not work with this model as there appears to be no QPI for 2 or more.
 
Make sure you absolutely want this chip. There is only support for one processor. SMP will not work with this model as there appears to be no QPI for 2 or more.
Probably because there's not any 1155 dual-socket motherboards out there. ;)
 
I guess my next questions should be:


Which i7-9xx is the best power to cost ratio ?

What about 24gb ram packages sold 100$-150$.. Any kits that overclock decent? Budget would be 100-150$ for the 24gb packs.

What about motherboards with good onboard SATA/SAS controller.

Not trying to rain on your parade at all here, but general rule of thumb is that on hardware purposed for server tasks, you don't really fiddle with the clocks at all. For that matter, on a 9xx series platform (fsb vs sb multi oc), with non-ecc ram, I'd be even more hesitant than normal. But to each their own.
 
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/X58/X8ST3-F.cfm

The question about overclocking suggests this is not a serious server though so you probably arent going to be too picky.

Thanks for the MOBO link, will check it out :)

Correct.

It's for in-office development for some software I need high amounts of RAM.
Working on $1k system vs $5k+ is nice for proof of concept, and not paying $500/month :rolleyes: at least when this is done I can use it for a workstation :) :)


For production use we lease, and buy better hardware :D
 
Looks like I could snag a Xeon E5620 and get some ECC memory for cheap too based on sticking with the i7 tripple channel setup.

So many options, like a kid in a candy store :D :D
 
Back
Top