• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I7-950 attention

Burner27

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Oct 23, 2000
Messages
6,865
I am not trying to be naive or anything but I need a little insight/clarification as to why the i7-950 CPU seems to pop up in many threads here. Is it a good overclocker? Is it at a great price point that seems to make many people purchase it? I am just trying to understand its popularity.

Thx
 
The 920, 930 and 940 have pretty much dissapeared from the market. The 960 costs around twice as much as the 950 (at newegg prices) for marginal gain. The hex cores are also very expensive (though possiblly worthwhile for some workloads) So prior to sandy bridge that left the 950as the fastest CPU availiable at a price most would consider reasonable. The 950 is still the only reasonable option if you need the extra PCIe or ram of LGA1366.

Afaict other than the stock speed/multiplier all the i7-9xx quad core chips are virtually identical and overclock to similar speeds.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, it was $200 at MC for a while and it was $200 at Fry's a couple of weeks ago. Awesome deal at that price. Even I got one. :D
 
Yha everywhere had them cheap. I got a nh-d12 bundled with my 950 for 320cdn.
 
Back
Top