• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 860 overclocking

dnottis used to FS moderator here at H. All these geeks are tight together. Pushing their pencils pointing their fingers like they are authority. lol

Seller is ordering me to take off paypal dispute. Another moderator strong armed me out of their forum because I didn't want to talk to them and wanted to deal with paypal directly.

Honest legitimate sellers take returns. You try to fly that shit in retail or any other place besides these shady forums it's fucking NO NO!!!
 
Completely shuts down. It could be due to extreme cooling damage that is making the CPU throttle than shut down. Prolonged extreme temperature can't be too good for CPU that was designed to run @ 60-70C.

I can even boot to 4ghz just can't get it stable at all.

Before this thread does get locked because of a lot of useless banter, let me see if I can assist the OP in overclocking this chip. If your computer shuts off, it is most likely your PS. Even if it is brand new and rated for 650 watts, it does not mean that it is actually producing the power it should. The i7 860 is perfectly fine running at 60-70C, in fact they do not start to throttle till over 100-105C, even then it won't shut down. I believe but I may be wrong that the chip shuts down around 120C. All of the i7 chips I have had hit 90C while stress testing and it did not cause any damage to the CPU's.

You also have to keep in mind that when you increase your bclock, you are also increasing the speed of your memory as well, unless you change to a different memory divider in the bios to lower the speed. And Lynnfield's are more of a pain because PCI-e controller is also on-die, which is why they take more voltage to stabilize than a 1366 chip.

Also, is your case well ventilated? A overheating motherboard could also cause your system to shut down as well. I have seen some poor overclockers before, but not to the level you are experiencing. That is why I believe it is not the chip but something else in your setup that is causing this issue. If we can get this thread back on track I am sure that we can help you figure it out.
 
Next time buy CPU's new from a good e-tailer like newegg or microcenter. That way you have 30 day return on it.

That's my advice mang.

When people return perfectly working CPU's because they did not OC well, it pisses me off. That is why places like Newegg and MC had to restrict their return policies so they don't get burned.

OC is not guaranteed, whether the chip is new or used. The manufacturer only guarantees the rated speed, nothing more. OC is a bonus, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

I have purchased dud overclockers before, and I sucked it up and dealt with it. That is just the luck of the draw.
 
Of course overclocking isn't guaranteed but when seller advertises as such I expect non-overclocked processor much like a new processor. When I actually researched seller's computer habits that wasn't the case.

Seller custom mods cases, overclocks, uses water cooling like dnottis.

I feel that the seller wasn't completely honest when selling. That is the problem I had not because the CPU wouldn't overclock.
 
I'm with Exeodus.

I have a Gigabyte H55M-S2H mobo here. Worked perfectly fine with a i3 530 in it -- I even managed to overclock it to 5Ghz on air.

Swapped the processor for a i7 860, and now it can't go beyond 3.3 Ghz before shutting down. I still haven't completely ruled out the cause of this, as I swapped the PSU and it still kept shutting down at 3.3 Ghz -- so I'm swapping the motherboard and seeing what happens. The same i7 860 overclocked to 4.8 Ghz on air on a biostar TH55B HD (the $50 mobo from frys) so I know it's not the processor.

I'd say you should do the same.
 
Back
Top