i7 2700K info request

Draugauth

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
302
What would you recommend for cooling to do some decent OC's? Also has anyone put together a guide on the info of voltage per FSB/Multiplier increase?

Thanks in advance.

Oh btw system stats

Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3
Corsair XMS 16GB memory kit (4x4GB)
2 EVGA 560 Ti 2GB video cards
2 Mushkin MX 120GB in raid 0
CM Storm Trooper Case (IE big ass case /lol)
 
It depends on if you want air, water, or all in one water cooling. Also if you have a maximum amount of $$ you dont want to go beyond.

DH-14(a few more that are on par with it) for high end air, Kuhler 920/h80/h100 for high end all in one cooling, water..... well I havnt got into that, but
that would be hundreds easily.. hehe
 
kk thanks Hagrid.

No problem. :)

IMO if you plan to go air or AIO, I would get the best if you have the $$. I wasnt thinking
and got the 620 since I have never tried the AIO solutions. I now need more cooling
and am stuck upgrading. Better to just get the high end and be done with it, at least you can never really have it too cool. :cool:

I am thinking of the DH-14 myself.
 
I have the Corsair H100 and it does a good job on my overclocked Intel® Core™ i5-3570K but I would really like to try the Noctua NH-D14 to see how it stacks up. The H100 is loud at this point.
 
i vote h100 if your case supports its

Has anyone ever compared the NH-D14 to the H100 to have an idea how they perform against eachother? I am thinking the H100 would win but may sound like a jet engine doing so. Do think the difference may be enough to grant you an extra 100MHz?
 
Has anyone ever compared the NH-D14 to the H100 to have an idea how they perform against eachother? I am thinking the H100 would win but may sound like a jet engine doing so. Do think the difference may be enough to grant you an extra 100MHz?

Its been done.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/corsair-h100.html

Although this compares the H100 to the Thermalright Archon, that air cooler is *almost* as good as the NH-D14. So you can use this as a close comparison, secure in the fact that a direct comparison would leave an even bigger gap.

The takeaway quote:

For example, the lowest noise from Corsair H100 with two fans rotating at their minimal speed is equal to the highest noise from Thermalright Archon. And the next two comparison points even farther apart. Therefore, going back to the results chart we can conclude that at about the same level of noise the best air cooler is 14°C more efficient than the new Corsair H100.

Thermalright Archon at 1270RPM = 38dB, 79C loaded.
H100 at 2000RPM x 2 = 55dB, 80C loaded!
H100 at 2600RPM x 2 = 62dB, 76C loaded!

You only save 3C if you crank it to max, and your cooler sounds many times louder.

So, The H100 at max can give you *slightly* better cooling performance than the Thermalright Archon at max, but this requires you crank up the H100 fans to turbine speed. This only works if you're stone deaf :D

Closed loop water cooling has been pretty-much outed by the tech community for the gimmick that it is. The only real efficient water cooling comes with custom loops and waterblocks.
 
Last edited:
Its been done.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/corsair-h100.html

Although this compares the H100 to the Thermalright Archon, that air cooler is *almost* as good as the NH-D14. So you can use this as a close comparison, secure in the fact that a direct comparison would leave an even bigger gap.

The takeaway quote:



So, The H100 at max can give you *slightly* better cooling performance than the Thermalright Archon at max, but this requires you crank up the H100 fans to turbine speed. This only works if you're stone deaf :D

So the moral of the story is NH-D14 > H100? I saw a test where the D14 was beating the Archon by an average of 4-7 degrees on an overclocked processor review by Vortez. That answers my question as long as the answer is directly traceable.

H100 > Archon but NH-D14 > Archon by more and much quieter.
 
So the moral of the story is NH-D14 > H100? I saw a test where the D14 was beating the Archon by an average of 4-7 degrees on an overclocked processor review by Vortez. That answers my question as long as the answer is directly traceable.

H100 > Archon but NH-D14 > Archon by more and much quieter.

This pretty much. It's absolutely stupid that people pay $100+ for the H100 when the NH-D14 slaps it silly for $20 less.
 
As mentioned, the NH-D14 is an excellent choice if it fits in your budget and can fit in your case. One new product that is out and is gaining fame is the Phantek PH-TC14PE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709011 but it's slightly more than the NH-D14 and is even harder to get compatible with.

Budget wise you can't go wrong with say the Hyper 212 Plus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 20$ after rebate is great bang for your buck cooling.

I was looking at those last night. I like the fact that I can get a red one to go with my case. As far as space goes well it is the CM Storm Trooper case. It's freaking huge. I love the space it in and how easily I can hide all the cables etc.

Anyone know if anyone has done a comparison between the NH-D14 and the Phantek PH-TC14PE? Right now I am torn between those two options.
 
I have the D14. I don't really like it. The quality control due to the soldering seems to vary a bit.

I'd get the Silver Arrow or wait for that Deepcool Frostwin if I had to do it over again.
 
So the moral of the story is NH-D14 > H100? I saw a test where the D14 was beating the Archon by an average of 4-7 degrees on an overclocked processor review by Vortez. That answers my question as long as the answer is directly traceable.

H100 > Archon but NH-D14 > Archon by more and much quieter.

I went NH-D14 for my new build for a few reasons:

1) Was on sale for $59 vs. $105 for the H100, about half the price.
2) Noise, fans at 1200rpm are audible but just a smooth woosh of air. Going to be installing them onto a fan header to drop the speed to 600rpm at idle for silent operation. Zero pump noise issues that can occur on enclosed water setups.
3) Same/better performance

Downsides:

1) It's freaking huge, installation is easy but it blocks access to fan headers and RAM so you need to ensure you install in the correct order. I had to take it on/off 3 times because I forgot to connect a case fan to mobo header and didn't realize I couldn't get EPS12V AUX CPU power connected either.
2) Potentially blocks airflow in case depending on setup

Overall I am very happy with my choice.
 
I think I will try the Phanteks. I can get a red one for my main system (all red LED's etc) and a blue one for my secondary gaming system (Blue LED's etc and the new i5 3570K) Will let you know how temps look at stock once I get them in. Will be a couple weeks though as I helped a friend out with some money this week ;)
 
Back
Top