• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

i7 2600k help

E^vol

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 2, 2007
Messages
335
Hey guys, I just built up my nice new machine...YAY!!!

i7 2600k, Asus P8Z68-V, 8gb Corsair Vengeance, Zotac GTX580, OCZ Agility 240gb, Silverstone FT02, Corsair AX850, Thermalright Silver Arrow.

FYI: I updated the bios to 0606. C1E and EIST are off in bios. Manual OC to 4.4Ghz (all cores at 44 ratio and bclk at 100) CPU voltage is at 1.3V

The part that I need help with is this.

In CPU-Z (latest ver.1.58) the core speed keeps switching between 1600 and 4400 mhz !!!! I don't understand why!?!?! What am I doing wrong? I turned off everything I don't need.

Please help.
 
why gtx580 with a stock cooler?

they run hot.

should have picked one with aftermarket cooling.
 
It's the Intel speed step. It's a power saving function; drops to 1600 mhz when the PC is mostly idle, scales up to your max clock speed as load increases. You can disable it in the bios if you don't like it.
 
Normally turning EIST and C1E to disabled/off will stop it from downclocking - not sure why it isn't in your case. You can try turning off C3 and C6 as well, or you can just let it go ahead and downclock since it doesn't cost any performance and it helps keep the chip cool/save power.
 
Ok, so I disabled the C3 and C6 Reporting. Now CPU-Z is always saying 4400Mhz. Does this mean it's always running at the OC speed now, or that it just isn't reporting the actually clock? (Is SpeedStep still working in the background)


@DualOwn, I do plan to change the gpu cooler, just built this new rig, now I have to pay for it. Just have to figure out which cooler to use since this case doesn't like all coolers due to it's 90° rotation.
 
Back
Top