I want to smash that stupid red icon with a hammer (xp64security)

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the little red icon that sits in the system tray whos sole purpose in life to to irritate me with warnings of how I dont have virus protection, firewall, automatic updates, blah blah blah.

HELP!

Is it a service I need to kill or what?

You mean the red shield?

Open it (the Security Center) and on the left side there should be a list saying "Resources." Click on "Change the way Security Center alerts me" and unclick Virus Protection and such so that icon won't sit there in the tray...staring at you with that cold, lifeless red gaze...

Still, should be running an AV, who knows what's floating out there. ;)

damn, I dunno how I missed that. And I do run virus protection, just not on my gaming machine. (remotely scanned)

You can just completely disable the security center, all it does is make sure automatic updates, av, and firewall are on -- essentially wastes recources. IIRC you can disable it in services, or you can use XP-Antispy to disable it, and a number of other things in windows.
Or use nlite to make a custom Win XP build, integrate SP2, and remove the security center, the system file checker (really annoying, when it pops up every time you install drivers for something), and anything else that you dont use and dont want hogging recources (eg System restore)

Back