I still can´t extract sfv volumes!!

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
I can´t use my soundcard properly without them!

I have some files like .sfv .001 .002 etc.

If I rename the .001 file to .zip it start extracting but then it want the .z00 file. Do I have to rename every single file? Aren´t there an easier way to do it. Any command lines or something?

You want us to tell you the same thing again?

sfv is a [stupid] checksum file (open it in a text-editor and check).

The volumes are probably RAR or, less likely, ACE archives (and even less likely, ARJ).

Just open the gawd damned files in an editor and read off the header. Sheeesh.

Originally posted by eloj
You want us to tell you the same thing again?

sfv is a [stupid] checksum file (open it in a text-editor and check).

The volumes are probably RAR or, less likely, ACE archives (and even less likely, ARJ).

Just open the gawd damned files in an editor and read off the header. Sheeesh.

As I said I tried extracting it as a .zip file but renaming every single file can´t be how it´s intended to do it?

Well I think I may have got it to work with HJ-split joiner. Will see.

So basically you're trying the same thing over and over hoping for a different result.

I'm I understanding you correctly?

A pkzip archive will begin with the letters "PK", which you can easily check for yourself. Similarly RAR/ACE/ARJ are easily identifiable, you just have to open the gawd damned file in an editor (even notepad will do, though HIEW is the editor of choice for these things).

edit: If it's a split pkzip-archive just do "copy /b whatever.* bigarchive.zip" (make sure the pieces are assembled in order)

Originally posted by eloj
So basically you're trying the same thing over and over hoping for a different result.

I'm I understanding you correctly?

A pkzip archive will begin with the letters "PK", which you can easily check for yourself. Similarly RAR/ACE/ARJ are easily identifiable, you just have to open the gawd damned file in an editor (even notepad will do, though HIEW is the editor of choice for these things).

edit: If it's a split pkzip-archive just do "copy /b whatever.* bigarchive.zip" (make sure the pieces are assembled in order)

Nope not exactly.

I am trying to do the same in different ways. Trying everything to get the damn files to extract.

I have been successful with one file to rename the first to .zip and then extract to a new directory. But it of course fails since it searches for a .z00 file but all magically I have a new directory with some setup files to burn to cd. Don´t know if it will work but I am trying it now.

Opening any of the files in notepad just gives me blanks. But the filesizes are all identical though.

You can trivially go from 001 -> z01, etc by "rename archive.0?? archive.z??"

The files are most likely NOT ZIP format files!

They are most likely RAR format.

You need WinRAR to decompress these. WinZip is not gonna do it.

The .SFV file is nothing but a text file, you can delete it. Its not needed.

Originally posted by stevewm
You need WinRAR to decompress these. WinZip is not gonna do it.

7-zip is good too. And it's free.
Also, one of the default file assosiations for 7zip is .001 files.

Originally posted by RazeDS
7-zip is good too. And it's free.
Also, one of the default file assosiations for 7zip is .001 files.

I will try it. It´s not winrar I tried that and it didn´t work.

It was obviously some form of .zip file.

Yes as I said I could rename all files to .z01, .z02 etc but I wanted to find a more smooth operation since I expect that isn´t the way it´s meant to do it? Are there any command line that can tell winzip to check for .001 .002 instead of .z01 .z02 or whatever?

Got a link to the files somewhere to see what your workin with.
I've always used WinRar for similar type of files.

Originally posted by oqvist
I will try it. It´s not winrar I tried that and it didn´t work.

Well if renaming a file to *.zip works, then WinRAR will read it regardless of the file extension, therefore you're not using WinRAR right. WinRAR will open .001 files, just use the browse feature in WinRAR then double click *.001 and see what I mean.

Originally posted by Andrew87
Well if renaming a file to *.zip works, then WinRAR will read it regardless of the file extension, therefore you're not using WinRAR right. WinRAR will open .001 files, just use the browse feature in WinRAR then double click *.001 and see what I mean.

Okay I just get the add files to archive when trying to opening them. Will do some more tinkering. I did manage to get it to work but I got a damaged cab-file it seemed :( Tried another and that wouldn´t work.

Anyway I am going to have a friend burn the Audigy 2 driver CD for me. It´s his fault I got a damaged one anyway :eek:

Originally posted by oqvist
Okay I just get the add files to archive when trying to opening them.

For future reference this may help:
Start > Run > type "Winrar" (no "'s) > OK
You're now in Winrars browser; instead of right-clicking to extract a file, simply double-click on it if you're sure it's an archived file, it should open :).

Thanks for the tips everyone and having patience with me :D I think I have got at least a little bit wiser

Back