I need to put a PCMCIA add-in card into my Desktop

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
I have a Verizon PCMCIA card for their cellular internet service. Yeah cellular sucks, but anything is better than dial-up. I need an adaptor to put this into a Desktop PC. Got a card to put it in a PCI slot, but it seems there is a chipset incompatibilty (read: doesn't work). Does another product exist? I've heard there is a TI chipset out there somewhere that is supposedly the defaco-standard, but don't know anything else. Thanks.

sac_tagg said:
I have a Verizon PCMCIA card for their cellular internet service. Yeah cellular sucks, but anything is better than dial-up. I need an adaptor to put this into a Desktop PC. Got a card to put it in a PCI slot, but it seems there is a chipset incompatibilty (read: doesn't work). Does another product exist? I've heard there is a TI chipset out there somewhere that is supposedly the defaco-standard, but don't know anything else. Thanks.

So you got cellular internet and don't have broadband at home? The words Cart and Horse come to mind. Or is this some crazy parental thing?

Maybe somewhere out there there is a USB version, but I have only seen this in mini-itx format (a far as an integrated solution goes).

TheTMan said:
So you got cellular internet and don't have broadband at home? The words Cart and Horse come to mind. Or is this some crazy parental thing?
No, it is for the travel department at work. They have laptops that need internet access, but also occasionally use desktops (which are stashed in offices across the country). So when they go to use a desktop (which is in some remote corner of say Billings, Montana) they can pull the cellular card from their laptop, stick it in the desktop, and have decent internet access. As it stands, they usually wait around for about an hour in the morning while they wait for today's workload to arrive over their dial-up connection.

That, and the fact that Verizon doesn't offer a PCI version of the card. When asked, they told us to buy adaptors (how's that for some customer service :rolleyes: ).

Back