I need to create a wireless network for a small motel... follow up to previous thread

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys...

So I'm setting up a wireless network for a small motel. And by small I mean about 10 users MAX accessing it simultaneously.

I have a wired router creating a 192.168.0.xxx network and the router is the gateway as 192.168.0.1

This is a FOLLOW UP to this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1452790

I actually don't have wired connections available everywhere... so, should I be using some sort of WDS or could i use an AP and then a few Hawkings Range Extenders?

The questions are: can I use multiple range extenders for 1 AP? and, can I extend the range of an extender (i.e. wireld router to wireless ap to extender to extender)?

Thanks, guys!!!

okay, i would use Engenius Gear and do the WDS with them, 600mw antenna.

no drop ceiling in the hallways?

If you have drop ceilings, why not just run cable where you need it? It's not difficult. For bonus points use some form of PoE to power your APs.

WDS will work for this, but since it sounds like it should be easy to run cable, it's not the best choice. If not, well this is what WDS was designed to do, but you sacrifice a lot of performance and if you're not careful it could be much less reliable. Also you need to use the same channel for all APs if you use WDS.

yes if you have drop ceiling, pick up a spool or two of cable and run it and put the AP in the hallway and poke out the antenna.

use the EnGenius ECB-3550 with the POE adapters. We get ours through HDCom.com.

set them up with same SSID, diff channels, and then setup AP isolation so the users cant see other users files. for a router use a RV042 or something similar, could also maybe use like a PFsense box or similar with a Captive Portal if they want.

WDS is lame, your client will be calling you asking you to fix, such a pain in butt, and crappy performance.

How big of a place?

Depending on how big the place is you might not even need more than one AP with some decent antennae.

Every time you extend you cut your bandwidth in half. For required management frames that get sent at a pretty slow rate to begin with (unless modified) you will drag down the entire network with multiple hops.

If you want cheap mesh, check out Meraki. I have a few I play with in the office, but no real deployments.

Every time you extend you cut your bandwidth in half. For required management frames that get sent at a pretty slow rate to begin with (unless modified) you will drag down the entire network with multiple hops.

If you want cheap mesh, check out Meraki. I have a few I play with in the office, but no real deployments.

Crap... I definitely wouldn't want to keep halving the bandwidth.

But 1 extender is fine, right? Even if it cuts it from 54g to 27Mbps (theoretical), it won't be too bad.

Let's just hope 1 extender suffices.

I'll take a look into Meraki... thx!

What's the length of the building that you will be covering? What are the walls made of? How many rooms or even clients do you expect to be connected at any one time?

i think you should get a different consultant.

wireless extenders is gonna fail.

run the wire, not hard, first floor models may hit 2nd floor fine.

Back