I need help deciding on a new motherboard!

pitfall317

n00b
I'm starting to put together a list of parts for my new gaming computer. I won't be buying the parts right now (got to save first) but I want to get a good idea of what to get. My budget is a max of $1500 and a minimum of $1000. I want to build a gaming computer that will play any game out there and can be upgraded as new products come out.

The biggest problem right now is deciding on a motherboard and graphics card. Here is my choice for motherboard: Asus P5K P35+ICH9 Mainboard
I've heard mostly positive reviews for this motherboard but some of the horror stories involve the sound going out so I'm not sure about this one.

I'd really appreciate any advice, feedback, sugestions anyone can give me!
Thanks for the help!!

Hear is the list of parts I've decided on:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case (NO PS)

Power Supply: Rosewill Stallion Series RD600N-2DC-SL-SLV ATX 12V V2.2/ EPS 12V Chromed 600W Active PFC Power Supply

Motherboard (?): Asus P5K P35+ICH9 Mainboard

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU

Graphics Card (?): BFG Tech 8600GTS OC 256 MB PCI-Express SLI Video Card

RAM: 2 sticks of Kingston 1 GB DDR2 PC5300 667Mhz 240Pin Memory

Abit IP35 reg or Pro. Nothing is better in their $ ranges. NOTHING.

8800gts 640mb (Personally I have something cheap until DX10 is more developed)

Fry's has Patriot DDR2 800 and OCZ ddr2 800 for 80 a pair. (4 4 4 Timings)
If you want the BEST get Crucial BAllistix - There are a few sales if oyu look around.

Corsair HX PSU

Get a dedicated Audio card - Personally I don't like Creative but I'm sure ppl will recomend. I would look for an audio card with the Envy Chipset. Chaintech and M-Audio have one (This is cheap but REAL GOOD SOUND)

1 Raptor Hard Drive (74Gb 16mb) and another hard drive of your choice. Depending on what else you do size is up to you 250gb is the minimum I would recommend.

If you have $ left over a Thermalright cooler. If you're going to OC the HR01, Ultima 90 or the Extreme 120 (but pricey)

Heres my wish list for comparison...

MB: Abit IP35 Pro ( was Asus P5K dlx, but trying to keep under $200 )
PSU: Corsair 520HX
Memory: G.Skill 2 x 1GB DDR2 800
Sound: bluegears b-enspire 7.1
Video: eVGA 8800GTS 320MB
CPU: E6750 ( was originally 6420 )

Of course things may change as I get closer to purchasing. :D

Back