I need an entry-level speaker setup...

Alai

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 19, 2008
Messages
2,701
Listed prices:

Swan D1080MkII - $130 (but going to have to add the sub, so $110 for the Dayton sub 10")
Swan M200MkII - $210
Swan M12 - $89

Now, the thing is these will be handed down to my sister once I have the spare money to grab a $700-$1000 setup but these probably should last me about a year or two. So I am looking for the best bang for the buck that is below $300. I don't have a soundcard or receiver since I will grab one of these for my higher end setup. Therefore, I need something that will hold me out without the need of a receiver or soundcard.

I also saw that the M-Audio AV40 was going for about $150 (@ my local Apple store) depending on deals and such and I was wondering about how the AV40 compare.

Edit: On another note, how come Swans fail at being supplid to usual retailers (Bestbuy, Guitar Center, CC?)
 
Edit: On another note, how come Swans fail at being supplid to usual retailers (Bestbuy, Guitar Center, CC?)

Because the "usual retailers" suck, are generally overpriced, and fail at stocking quality gear.
 
Swan (Hi-vi) is a Chinese brand, I really don't think they are going to be big on most (if any) 'distribution chain.

You get Paradigm, Cerwin Vega, Martin Logan, Polk, Klipsch, Athena, Energy, Mirage as your usual culprits in retail outlets (actually I pretty much just named what Best Buy carries). The choices aren't terrible but the price isn't starving-student friendly.

Personally I'd get the Swans. But I'm biased since my bookshelf speakers basically look like the Swan M200 but are much bigger :)
 
Dammit, I just missed the 1080 deal... it now goes for $180 as listed. On the bright side, I see the M-Audio AV40 are going for $135 (including shipping + tax). More worth it to get the AV40 now and take advantage of a nice deal or wait for another hot deal for the 1080's? (which may not come around for a long time).
 
Looking at your first post, the AV40 will work well for you. It has that built in dac so you do not need a sound card or receiver to get decent sound out of them. For $135 new, that is a good buy.
 
It has that built in dac so you do not need a sound card or receiver to get decent sound out of them.

I don't think that part is correct. Note the lack of digital inputs (as far as I can tell) on the back of the speakers.

spav40_big01.jpg
 
Ok, I change my mind. I want your guys' advice. Berhinger or AV40? And I do plan to get a sub with either of them.

Behringer = $130 (including shipping and tax)
AV40 = $135 (including shipping and tax)
 
Well! I guess I paid too much for my M-Audio AV40s! I picked up my pair for $160 at Guitar Center.
I don't have a lot of experience with speakers and hi-fi lingo is very poor but I'll tell you this: These rock compared to my old Klipsc Promedia 2.1 speakers. I can hear the highs and mids very well, and the overall sound is very clear. As for the bass, they don't have that boom or thump but it's passable and good enough for me.
 
Back
Top