I need a networking challenge

Hi Everyone,
Over the last year I have slowly moved away from working in IT. I went away to work on Audio Engineering and had a great time doing so! However its time to come back into the working world.

Anyway. I went for a job interview the other week and there was ALOT of Linux stuff in there. I am by no means an Anti-Linux person, i have used it many times and got by with what was needed but am by no means a linux guru. Infact most of my work has been in Windows Server. So I decided i needed to fill the gaps in my knowledge. To add to this i seem to be suffering from "Network Boredom Disorder" (or NBD for short) So i called a few good friends up who gave me some of their spare Licenses to borrow in an effort to get me back into it.

So, Using my Macbook Pro here (with VMWare) and my PC at my parents house (also with VMWare) I had the idea of creating a large multi location network (even if it is virtual) But i have no clue where to begin.

Thats where i need the help of the networking Horde.

I have access to
Windows Server 2003/2008 (SBS, Standard, And Enterprise) along with Exchange
Apple Server 10.5
Netware 5 (sadly they need the license for 6... damn production servers :p)

Windows XP, OS X Leopard (desktop), And any other Linux distro/freeware i can download.

Also, domain name setup and ready.

The rules are easy. I cant pay for anything (cause im skint). I can download anything, and I have too much free time. Systems can span the 2 locations. and should talk to each other. And can be on Any OS. Migrations can only be done on systems that are setup (which i will keep this updated with).

So, The task of the horde. what should I do? Every time I sit and think of something it just seems like loading up win server runing AD with exchange etc... so point me towards a big ass virtual network!!!

2 server 2008 domain controllers, 2 more server 2008 rodc located in remote locations, linux file server (commaind line only) with ad integration using centos 5.3 (first distro came to mind). isa 2006 for internet filtering (assuming you can get it). and all of your mac stuff has to authenticate against ad. No local accounts except root to access.

Back