I need a good joystick with a twist-handle...

AceTKK

Gawd
Hi all, I've recently gotten into Desert Combat and other flight games which benefit from a joystick with a twist function for rudder control. I picked up a Logitech extreme 3d pro but I'm not happy with the ergonomics or the build quality. Can anyone recommend a superior, solid joystick with the twist fuction supported? I don't mind spending some $ but I want something that works well with XP and is well made.

Thanks,

-Ace-

I just got a Saitex X45 a few days ago at best buy it ROX has all kinds of buttons and its 2 seperate controllers. I use it in DC but theres a trick you have to do to get it to work because this thing had 6 axis and bf1942 only reads 4, more info on this can be found Here. For $75 at best buy it was a no brainer and i love it in ms flight sim.

Saitek X-45 is way overkill for DC. What you want is a Saitek Cyborg3D USB stick really. Absolutely unbeatable for it´s price.

I looked at the X45 and it looks pretty nice. I'm not opposed to spending the $ for it but one thing is turning me off on it: the rudder control doesn't look like it's built into the stick, but into the throttle control. I really like twisting the stick itself to adjust the rudder in the choppers and I don't want to have to adjust to a different system. Right now I'm leaning towards the Saitek Cyborg Evo. I'd read lots of positive things about it and it's very reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experience with it? It's this one here: http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cyborg_evo.htm

-Ace-

I like my logitech cordless freedom. I wanted a wireless real bad because I have wirephobia! (is that word?)

Fear the cheaper joysticks, I got the Saitek ST90 for $15 and I really regret it. The stick itself never centers, I always find myself sliding left and right and unable keep a straight flight path.

Originally posted by AceTKK
I looked at the X45 and it looks pretty nice. I'm not opposed to spending the $ for it but one thing is turning me off on it: the rudder control doesn't look like it's built into the stick, but into the throttle control. I really like twisting the stick itself to adjust the rudder in the choppers and I don't want to have to adjust to a different system. Right now I'm leaning towards the Saitek Cyborg Evo. I'd read lots of positive things about it and it's very reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experience with it? It's this one here: http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cyborg_evo.htm

-Ace-

Believe me it´s better having the rudder on the hotas or even better pedals. You do loose a lot of precision with a twist handle. But again it´s DC so it doesn´t really matter.

But if you are going for real flight sims you may have a racing wheel? You could try using it´s pedals as rudders. I am using my MOMO Force pedals and they work almost better for flight sims than racing games :D

But the best Saitek joystick except the X-45 would be the Saitek Cyborg 3D USB stick. The newer models are just dumbed down versions of it from what I have seen. If I have to pick between a 50$ Saitek Cyborg 3D USB stick or a 50$ Saitek Evo I pick the Cyborg 3D USB anyday. Not that the Evo is bad but Saitek generally competes with the Microsoft and Logitech joysticks and those aren´t very outstanding really.

the Cyborg3D USB looks really nice. I like the fact that the stick is rubberized, I hate the hard plastic of my Logitech. Where can I buy a Cyborg3D?

edit: and is there any difference in quality between the standard Cyborg3D USB and the "gold" version?

-Ace-

yes the cyborg 3d is nice and get the gold one

and i bought mine at circuit city for $30+tax

wow that Saitex X45 looks freaking awesome. I might have to get it when I go buy LOMAC :D

My trusty old MS Sidewinder Precision 2 works great in DC/BF42. I generally own anyone who goes up against me in a Mig. Keeping in mind that the flight engine isn't anywhere near as complicated as something like LOMAC.
Some places have this stick for pretty cheap since MS stopped making them. If you play [H] flight sims like LOMAC, go with the X45 or similar HOTAS otherwise a simple joystick like mine or a Logitech one will be fine.

Back