I just want to pimp LANSweeper again

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
Mentioned it a year ago or so, I began to deploy it at a client but got sidetracked before really turning it on and digging into it.

http://www.lansweeper.com/

A few weeks ago had to get all the computers inventoried here, so I went back to the project. Downloaded latest version, installed, deployed the little executable via group policy, ran into one little error on some workstations...found the KB article on it at lansweepers website and I made an adjustment to the group policy for the windows firewall..and shazzam...it all started working perfectly.
Just need a server with IIS and sql (express is fine)..and that's what Lansweeper runs on.

Holy smokes the details you get far exceeded what I hoped for....such a great FREE network inventory program. Detailed hardware of the client PCs, make, model, blah blah, what's installed, what user profiles are on it, the exact date you joined that workstation to the network, etc (great for approximating replacement cycles), low resources such as free space or RAM, . And the many of the pay for features look sweet.

I'll have to keep these in mind. I've used Spiceworks before, and was impressed by the details provided by that free application.

I'll have to keep these in mind. I've used Spiceworks before, and was impressed by the details provided by that free application.

I've used that in the past...several attempts, and found it a big glitchy, very sluggish, and it misses a lot. Not to mention it's an ad-ware supported app.

Stone you should look into managed products for your clients. Zenith is so cheap, and you get so much more than just this basic info.

Looks interesting. After finals next week, ill probably set up a couple VM's and mess with it.

After playing with the demo, I may have to pimp this at work. We can finally throw away are broken homebrew version of what this does!!!!

Yup, I've been running it for months. Good stuff. I like how it keeps track of my Office and AV licenses so I know at a glance how many I have left. It'll also tell me if any machines have unauthorized admin accounts, which PCs don't have the latest service packs, etc. I also like how it'll report if there is any unauthorized software installed, and if I OK it I can just whitelist it. I don't even use everything it has to offer, but I can say it's excellent for the price. :)

Back