I have these speakers what I can I do?

Dosobye

Limp Gawd
I'm a sound system noob.
Moved into new place previous owner left 4 of these. I have no idea the condition of them. Is there a economical way I can hook these up to my TV?
wN7wI

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_201546964.jpg
    IMG_20180114_201546964.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 41
They look like the old style Bose, back when they were pretty decent speakers for the size. If my memory serves, they should just be a normal + - wire hookup to an amp or receiver. Maybe test them with a meter to check the ohms and start testing at low volumes.

^ yup looks like. should work with anything that uses a +/- just not high wattage.

Thank you
I don't need to buy a subwoofer right?
What does keep it low mean? If I turn it up all the way I could blow them? There is no safety for that?

Need a sub? No. You'll want one though. Those Bose speakers are clearly very small and their drivers are only capable of producing sound down to a certain frequency. And yes, if you crank the volume they might not blow up but its very possible you'll damage the drivers.

Reading a little more about those old Bose jewel cubes, they seem like they might have a built in high-pass filter which means low frequencies won't even be sent to them. You're really going to want a sub but you should come to that conclusion on your own after listening to them.

Reading a little more about those old Bose jewel cubes, they seem like they might have a built in high-pass filter which means low frequencies won't even be sent to them. You're really going to want a sub but you should come to that conclusion on your own after listening to them.

..taking it further bose equipped those speakers with a sub. It was a system designed with the small speakers supplying the highs/mids and a "sub-module" supplying the lows. The previous owner - after selling the house, or leaving - was tired of the sound so just left them. Could be a usefull find, depending on the condition of the speakers. If in good condition, would add some surround to what ever source you drive to them. Not as mains because they are designed as a system to complete a full range experience.....

Thank you
I don't need to buy a subwoofer right?
What does keep it low mean? If I turn it up all the way I could blow them? There is no safety for that?
You’ll want a sub. That set came with a very non-robust horn loaded sub that was fairly decent if you kept it close.

You can blow speakers by sending too much voltage them. Essentially these tiny speakers can only handle up to a certain amount of power before they either bottom out or get too hot and melt/burn. I’d be pretty hard to do that with a conventional receiver though.

Don’t expect THX level output from them but they are still better than TV speakers.

Back