I feel dirty

hignaki

Gawd
Headline got your attention? Good. :D Here's the scoop:

I just broke down. After months, nay, years, of saying "I'll never buy the successor," I just ordered an Xbox 360.

Curses

I couldn't help it. I know it's not as advanced as people want it to be, but damn it has some great games. Does it matter to me that Geometry Wars is on the top of the list? Nope. :p Does it matter that the only HD screen in my house is my 17" Dell LCD? Nope, that doesn't matter, either. What does matter is that sometime next week, I'll be waking up, pressing the silver "X" on the controller, and blastin' some green triangles and red boxes with a 2D ship.

Plus, nothing wakes you up better then some Alpha-152 rapin' in DOA4. I do have some questions, though (Yes, I've read previous threads, but I need something...current)

1: 360 owners: are you satisfied with your purchase? Do you feel the $400+ you spent went towards an entertainment device that heightens your enjoyment?

2: Are the MCE features (I've got XP:MCE2005) robust enough yet? If you do use the MCE features, what exactly do you do with it? Music etc

3: My friends' 360s get quite warm out the back of them, but I've heard this goes away after awhile. Is that true?

4: Average battery life on your controllers? I've got a play 'n charge kit, so I don't think it matters, but still...

5: In your opinion (no flaming, please), do you think the 360 is akin to the PSP, as in, I'll regret it a year down the road? (kinda redundant to #1, but for non-360 owners)

(Oh, and for the record, I don't really believe the disk scratching hubbub. There was a similar "freak out" period with the PS2, but then people realized "OMG, you don't move it while it's on? GENIUS!" I'm well-versed in common sense :) )

The original geometry wars is in project gotham racing 2 for the original xbox, which is now a $10 budget title.

I forgot about that... well there you go. If it's primarily for GW, cancel your $400 order and play it for free or for $10 :) If you're interested in only DOA4 and GW... I wouldn't spend that much... but to each their own :D If you're interested in far more (exclusive) games for the system, that you just must own, that's a different story however.

man i love mine to death i have no idea why people are trying to trash talk it so much.... ps3 i am sure will have it niche as well but the 360 is amazing.

1. Yes. For $400 I have a great system. I haven't been interested in consoles for some time due to the craptacular graphics but the 360 brought me back.

2. Don't have can't comment.

3. Mine gets warm but nothing I didn't expect.

4. Forever. I can charge the controller once every few days if I'm playing a whole lot and once every week or two if I'm not playing much.

5. If you have a HDTV then no. The controller is incredibly comfortable, it has some great games, marketplace games are cool (heard mortal kombat is coming) and it's definitely fun.

make sure you post your gamer tag when you get your system so we can all frag it up.

1. While i spent a lot more than $400 (wireless adaptor, second controller, remote control, play and charge kit) i think it was well worth it. I haven't had a console since the Genesis but the games i have (DOA4, Kameo, COD2, and of course Geometry Wars) are great. It's all about the games, after all.

2. I ended up using the built in media player instead of the MCE because the built in lets you put up a full screen visualization which is nice to stare at when i'm trying to do hw. Neither method works very well with a large library of music like mine. You have to scroll through the list to find something in particular, and if you're at the beginning of the list and need to get to the bottom, you can't scroll up and have it wrap to the bottom. You have to go ALL the way down. I tried pressing the number buttons on the remots to see if you could jump to the beginning letter at least, but that doesn't seem to work. Creating a custom playlist is also very time consuming for the same reason. What i mostly do now is just play all music on shuffle.

3. It gets warm, but honestly i don't regularly check the temps back there.

4. Wireless controller with the batter from the play and charge kit lasts forever.

5. Don't have a PSP.

1. Worth $400? I think so. With my PS2, I really hadn't been playing all the much as of late. There are still lots of good games, but honestly, the graphics have been looking a little dated for a while, with only a few exceptions. The 360 is a definite step up if you have HD. Native 16:9 makes a difference and so does the high-res. If you're on a non-HD set, I'm not so sure, though...

2. I've got XP and I've used it to get to my MP3 collection, but that's it. I'm not sure if non-MCE setups can do much more than that anyway. I don't use it, so I'm not a really good candidate for this question.

3. Yup, the back of the 360 is warm...but then again so is my Sony DVD player's and so is my receiver's, too. It's nothing unusual. Of note, my cats seem to love sleeping on the warm power supply, though :p

4. The plug 'n play kit will keep a controller charged for weeks of pretty regular play. I've never had one drop below 2-bars and I tend to plug it in every 2 weeks for a few hours and it's back to 100%. For batteries, I still have my back-up controller using the set of batteries it came with on release day. Admittedly I don't use it much, but I do use it for 2-player games or randomly when I'm charging the other one.

5. Tough to say. I think the addition of more Live games and even classic arcade games like SF2 will REALLY keep things going. This month we're finally getting a pretty good infusion of new games, too. With the PS3 still non-existant at the moment, it's the best thing going. It's tough to look at a PS2 or Gamecube game after playing Condemned or CoD2. I think it'll definitely be solid for the next year or two...but after that, who knows? It might be that everyone hops onto the PS3 and forgets it. For all we know the PS3 might end up being a flop and the 360 might dominate. It's all speculation for now. I think the main thing is that it's great RIGHT NOW and that's what matters to me. In a year, I'll likely be picking up the competition just in case :)

1. I'm satisfied. The games I have keep me busy, and I like them.
  2. Can't tell you. I just stream music while I play NFS:MW.
  3. Mine gets warm. I got the Red Ring of Death last week.
  4. I got 8 Sony rechargable batteries, way cheaper than the play-n-charge. I get about 40~55 hours on each one (no more than 3~4 hours at a time.)
  5. Right now my PSP gets no play... Lamont needs good RTS or RPG. The 360 gives me what I want with games like NFS:MW because I can play a quick race and then go to work. So the answer is "No".

Holy crap, that's a lot of replies. Thank you! :D

No, the main reason wasn't Geometry Wars; Geometry Wars was just the "final push" over the edge into the "purchase" category. Right now, I'm planning on trading in the sports game it's coming with for DOA4, because I've played hours at a friend's house, and I do believe that I'm addicted to the game. (I had to buy a package, all of the ones available where I bought it were core systems except a pack that game with three games)

Again, I say "thank you," this conversation has been civil thus far :) .

best purchase I ever made. Best system ever made hands down. The achievement system is addictive to me...I keep wanting more. (up to 8900 so far but got a lot of work to do)

I was so happy w/ my purchase that I went out and bought EVERY 360 game. Still haven't even opened Q4 or COD2.

The MC stuff is nice. Don't know what else it could do that it doesn't....but I don't utilize it that much.

HDTV isn't necessary. I do 90% of my 360 gaming on a non-hd tv just because of convience. The HDTV is 250 lbs and is downstairs... I prefer to game in my gaming room upstairs. There is a difference between HD and non (HD games are absolutely gorgeous) but HDTV is not at all necessary to enjoy the 360.

WorldRunner said:
best purchase I ever made. Best system ever made hands down. The achievement system is addictive to me...I keep wanting more. (up to 8900 so far but got a lot of work to do)

I was so happy w/ my purchase that I went out and bought EVERY 360 game. Still haven't even opened Q4 or COD2.

Best system ever made? To each their own, I guess... hehe. I still like the NES.
That said, you should hurry up and go return Q4 before it's too late... you'll regret opening that one.

The MC stuff is nice. Don't know what else it could do that it doesn't....but I don't utilize it that much.
Playing DivX/XViD without hacks would be nice?

HDTV isn't necessary. I do 90% of my 360 gaming on a non-hd tv just because of convience. The HDTV is 250 lbs and is downstairs... I prefer to game in my gaming room upstairs. There is a difference between HD and non (HD games are absolutely gorgeous) but HDTV is not at all necessary to enjoy the 360.

If I get a 360/PS3 I'll probably end up playing them in non-HD as well (especially considering that Sony's console will require most of us to buy new HD TVs).

steviep said:
If I get a 360/PS3 I'll probably end up playing them in non-HD as well (especially considering that Sony's console will require most of us to buy new HD TVs).
I have a feeling most people play their 360s on non-HD screens. I mean, I could play in on my monitor (and I probably will from time-to-time), but the 30" Sony Trinitron in my room is much more convienent.

I'm starting to have a good feeling about this purchase.

I went into a Strawberries today, and they had a sign saying they had 360's in stock, but you could only buy one if you bought games/acessories with it. I don't think anybody much cared because they still had 9 core systems there, and I've seen premiums in all the eb's around here where you're not forced into a bundle.

steviep said:
Best system ever made? To each their own, I guess... hehe. I still like the NES.
That said, you should hurry up and go return Q4 before it's too late... you'll regret opening that one.

Yes...I think it's the best console ever...even "For it's time"

I am assuming obviously that more great games will come and the system will live a long life. If that doesn't happen I'll retract that.

I know Q4 360 sucks. I'm only getting it for the achievement points. That's why I own every game in the first place ;)

hignaki said:

I just broke down. After months, nay, years, of saying "I'll never buy the successor," I just ordered an Xbox 360.

I couldn't help it. I know it's not as advanced as people want it to be, but damn it has some great games. Does it matter to me that Geometry Wars is on the top of the list? Nope. :p Does it matter that the only HD screen in my house is my 17" Dell LCD? Nope, that doesn't matter, either. What does matter is that sometime next week, I'll be waking up, pressing the silver "X" on the controller, and blastin' some green triangles and red boxes with a 2D ship.

Plus, nothing wakes you up better then some Alpha-152 rapin' in DOA4. I do have some questions, though (Yes, I've read previous threads, but I need something...current)

1: 360 owners: are you satisfied with your purchase? Do you feel the $400+ you spent went towards an entertainment device that heightens your enjoyment?

2: Are the MCE features (I've got XP:MCE2005) robust enough yet? If you do use the MCE features, what exactly do you do with it? Music etc

3: My friends' 360s get quite warm out the back of them, but I've heard this goes away after awhile. Is that true?

4: Average battery life on your controllers? I've got a play 'n charge kit, so I don't think it matters, but still...

5: In your opinion (no flaming, please), do you think the 360 is akin to the PSP, as in, I'll regret it a year down the road? (kinda redundant to #1, but for non-360 owners)

(Oh, and for the record, I don't really believe the disk scratching hubbub. There was a similar "freak out" period with the PS2, but then people realized "OMG, you don't move it while it's on? GENIUS!" I'm well-versed in common sense :) )

Welcome to the club :D I've owned my 360 since December 13, 2005 and have never had one problem and love this beast to death. I was an avid PC gamer for the last 15 1/2 years and never dared go near a console. I leaped back with the 360 and am HIGHLY impressed with the features it offers.

To answer your questions...

1. $400 ? Man, my 6800GT OC costs $400 and that just one part of my gaming rig. The average person is going to have to spend another $1000-$1200 atleast in computer hardware to put together something that can compare to the 360 and then they're stuck playing on a computer monitor, lol.

The 360 is the best deal for the money. I feel I made a wise decision investing in a 360, because now I no longer have to upgrade my computer

2. I have MCE setup on a partition on my HTPC. I use it with my 360 to stream video, music and pictures all at once. I havn't ran into any problems yet, and actually need to copy more music to that partition to use while ingame

3. Mine has never been hot, and I keep my power brick off of its side and off of the carpet. Like I said, I have never once had any problems with my unit or accessories.

4. I use NiMH rechargeable batteries for my controllers and I'll average anywhere from 60-200 playtime hours in between charges. Buying good rechargeable is the way to go for sure ... don't do otherwise. But wireless controllers are where its at... finally no more cords.

5. Absolutely not. In fact, I think in a year you'll be so glad you purchased the 360. More and more games are coming out and quite frankly if you spend an hour or two online researching upcoming titles in 2007, you'll probably need to change your underwear. Live offers such a unique online console experience it would be a cold day in hell if either Ninteodo or Sony put together a online system 1/2 of what Live is. Power differences between the PS3 and 360 are very small, and graphic output based on hardware specs we know will hardly differ. The PS3's processor allows it to handle a bit more physics and AI but nothing more graphically. Don't fall victim to CGI, realtime video speed up hype circling the interweb... its uneducated children spreading rumors because they've taken sides with one camp. If you choose to buy a PS3 great! you'll have both!! The rev will be something different, a new experince to say ... and quite honestly I see it as a secondary console. Something to play when not playing my 360... but thats just me.

I cannot imagine anyone a year from now regretting their 360 purchase. The only ones who have something to fear are those we are easliy fooled by internet hype, rumors. Once the PS3 laucnes the world will finally see that hardware in fact, does not lie and it will perform near identical to the 360 but with different game titles. <-- period

Reguarding the disk scratching ? That only happen to morons who were stupid enough to move their 360 while the unit was on and the disks were spinning. They deserved to have their game ruined. You dont' pickup and move your computer when its loading CDs do you ? Heh, I don't lol ...

Anyways... WELCOME to the club. March is going to be a HUGE month for the 360, pickup your favorites, buy a HDTV if you don't already own one and get a few months supply of Depends to help with the mess.

Congrats!

The only bad thing about the 360 is that there are 4 games coming out in the next week or so while I'll be in Mexico.

The real Mexico...not the mythical land where we all get our PC games.

:(

So the first order of business when I get back is to buy GRAW, CH 2k6, The Outfit, and B3.

theNoid said:
Don't fall victim to CGI, realtime video speed up hype circling the interweb... its uneducated children spreading rumors because they've taken sides with one camp.
Before you post something, you should stop and ask yourself, "How ironic is this post going to be?" If the answer is, "extremely," you should maybe rephrase your points.

Answers to possible responses, to avoid being redundant:

I'm not bashing you, or your X360.
I'm also not praising the PS3.
I'm not claiming X360 doesn't look amazing.
I'm not claiming PS3 doesn't not look amazing.

Wow theNoid, that was a...large post :D . Just to be clear, though, I love my PC at the moment (even though there seems to be a slight drought for PC games right now, it happens every year), and I just wanted the Xbox 360 to fill the void my TV's been feeling ever since I picked up my DS and left my PS2 in the dust.

I don't really want to turn this into a PC comparison thread. In fact, from what I read, I believe that they compliment each other nicely. If even that one JRPG that's being released makes it over to these shores, I'll have to change my pants. If not, it looks like I'll have to brush up on my hiragana.

One more question: does it "travel" well? I mean, I'm heading to Boise next week and need something to do in the hotel room. I just sold+shipped my PSP off, and my DS is currently under hostile control by my sister, but I've still got a protective feeling going on about it, and it hasn't even arrived yet.

EDIT (finalgt posted while I was typing): please, PLEASE don't change the subject, take up all matters via PM. I'd like to let all posts be, so I can see all angles and opinions.

hignaki said:
Wow theNoid, that was a...large post :D . Just to be clear, though, I love my PC at the moment (even though there seems to be a slight drought for PC games right now, it happens every year), and I just wanted the Xbox 360 to fill the void my TV's been feeling ever since I picked up my DS and left my PS2 in the dust.

I don't really want to turn this into a PC comparison thread. In fact, from what I read, I believe that they compliment each other nicely. If even that one JRPG that's being released makes it over to these shores, I'll have to change my pants. If not, it looks like I'll have to brush up on my hiragana.

One more question: does it "travel" well? I mean, I'm heading to Boise next week and need something to do in the hotel room. I just sold+shipped my PSP off, and my DS is currently under hostile control by my sister, but I've still got a protective feeling going on about it, and it hasn't even arrived yet.

EDIT (finalgt posted while I was typing): please, PLEASE don't change the subject, take up all matters via PM. I'd like to let all posts be, so I can see all angles and opinions.

The only problem w/ travel is the size of the power brick.

finalgt said:
Before you post something, you should stop and ask yourself, "How ironic is this post going to be?" If the answer is, "extremely," you should maybe rephrase your points.

Answers to possible responses, to avoid being redundant:

I'm not bashing you, or your X360.
I'm also not praising the PS3.
I'm not claiming X360 doesn't look amazing.
I'm not claiming PS3 doesn't not look amazing.

I plan on purchasing a Rev also. At heart I am gamer, and an avid PC gamer who has enjoyed years of upgrading my pc etc.. etc.. I am not easily fooled by marketing hype (ie Sony) and I think its unfortunate most people do.

Its misleading, and wrong so I do what I can to shed light on the situation. ;)

I know sometimes I sound like a Xbot and such, but this is my first console in awhile. Its hard to praise other consoles when they're aren't out yet. And its wrong to mislead the public of what the future holds ... (Sony).

Hope that helps.

hignaki said:

I havn't moved mine much, but I would just take stand precausions with any new expensive hardware. Like WorldRunner said, the brick can be big but other then that you should be fine.

To be safe, I would remove any game you have in the unite before moving it.

finalgt said:
Valid points. I digress. :)

Maybe I should add a disclaimer to my sig to clear things up, lol. I tend to make posts that seem very one sided when in fact I am just a gamer too. I have my likes and dislikes but overall games are what I'm here for :cool:

It's a lot easier to travel with it if you keep the box it came in. Everything packs in nicely (obviously) so it's better than lugging around the individual pieces. I bring it to work a lot and that works well for me.

The only people that are unhappy with the 360 are those that don't have it. I have yet to hear anyone say it wasn't worth it.

There are some really small features that get overlooked that I think really make this system awesome (not claiming they won't be cloned by other manufacturers). I love being able to power up and down the console from the remote. Seems small but this is just great. I really like the user interface too. The other thing that is just awesome is the ability to download actual game demo's. I know the pc has done this for years but I could never do this for my consoles. When you get your 360 do yourself a favor and download the Fight Night 3 demo. Even if you hate boxing you will become addicted to this demo. It sounds like you are a "true gamer" so I think you will fall in love with this system. And chances are you will buy a PS3 down the road too. ;)

Thank you all. I'll be sure to get my gamertag up immediately after I recieve the box.

Oh, that reminds me of yet another question: I used to have a Live! account under a username. I cancelled my Live! account almost two years ago, but when I helped a friend register recently, I decided to, for fun, try to use my old username. it said the name was not available. I called MS about it, and they said the account was under a freeze since being cancelled. I forgot to ask, but do you think it would be possible to re-activate my account with the one year subscription I'm recieving with my 360? I mean, is the 12-month card used the same as the 2 month etc. cards?

To sum it all up: I am totally satisfied with my Xbox 360 right now, and absolutely LOVE it's features. The only downside right now is games...but that will son be fixed. I am SO damn excited about many of the ucoming games in the short term, and the long term. Short term meaning games that have been announced (ie: Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Gears of War, Oblivion, Resident Evil 5, The Outfit) long term meaning games that haven't been anounced yet, but you know will come out (ie: Forza sequel, another Rallisport Challenge etc.)

hignaki said:

Curses

I've had my 360 since Nov 22, and havn't had a single problem yet. This system has probably seen close over 200 hours of gameplay on it, as my friends literally lived at my house for a month and half. The value factor is just amazing, and the list of coming titles is also impressive. Congradulations on your purchase! I don't think I even want to know what's going on your mind with your mention of raping Alpha 152 in DOA4.

My 360 does get very warm, but it hasn't crashed or caused any problems yet. However, it really doesn't seem to get any warmer than those Dell 3.6ghz P4 laptops i've seen.

I don't know about average battery life, as I recharge the plug and play pack after every weekend. I also don't see how you'll regret buying it, especially when 2.5 million other owners have had so much fun up till now.

junehhan said:
I've had my 360 since Nov 22, and havn't had a single problem yet. This system has probably seen close over 200 hours of gameplay on it, as my friends literally lived at my house for a month and half. The value factor is just amazing, and the list of coming titles is also impressive. Congradulations on your purchase! I don't think I even want to know what's going on your mind with your mention of raping Alpha 152 in DOA4.

My 360 does get very warm, but it hasn't crashed or caused any problems yet. However, it really doesn't seem to get any warmer than those Dell 3.6ghz P4 laptops i've seen.

I don't know about average battery life, as I recharge the plug and play pack after every weekend. I also don't see how you'll regret buying it, especially when 2.5 million other owners have had so much fun up till now.
Uh... :eek: I was talking about the other way around...you know how hard she is to beat... Maybe I don't want to know what's going on in your mind. ;) Maybe I was thinking faster than I was typing...

But thank you guys/gals for helping me. I'm going to be very, VERY happy when it arrives next week, I think. It'll change to "very protective" immediately after that, but still happy :D

Oh well, I just spent some time playing single player survival mode in DOA4. Who knows where my mind has gone after spending 2 hours looking at bouncing titties. If it's your style, don't forget to pick up Ridge Racer 6 as it's one of the most underrated titles for the Xbox360.

As long as you don't try to move your 360 around like some of these other people do while it's running, you'll be fine. What's awesome is how you are picking it up with some key titles on the verge of being released.

Back