I don't have write access to my "Progam Files" folder, I am the Admin, why not?

Out50Stang

[H]ard|Gawd
I found that XP enables this by default, but so it's not the problem, why can't I use Live Update to update my Norton Anti-virus, I could before, but not now :confused:

Sounds like Norton isn't shuttings its services down properly before the file update and its maintaining a file lock. Try shutting down the services for it and then updating.

I've seen this happen before with lots of different AV products when they don't release the AV database properly during upgrades.

Ok i tried what you said and it didn't help.....I still have to d/l my definitions from thier website, which is not very conveinent, especially since I don't update it as often now because of this :(

have you changed any settings on your firewall that arent allowing live update to connect

I uninstalled and reinstalled it, and it does the same thing. It's not my firewall, because even if i put my pc in DMZ it still won't update. It's internal to the OS.....I even created another admin account and it does the same thing.....

Out50Stang said:
I found that XP enables this by default, but so it's not the problem, why can't I use Live Update to update my Norton Anti-virus, I could before, but not now :confused:

XP does not restrict the admin account from writing to "c:\program files" I don't know where you got that information from.

Out50Stang said:
I uninstalled and reinstalled it, and it does the same thing. It's not my firewall, because even if i put my pc in DMZ it still won't update. It's internal to the OS.....I even created another admin account and it does the same thing.....

Which AV are you using from Symantec?
Did you uninstall liveupdate from add/remove programs and try to reinstall it?

Back