I can't do it captain... I don't have the power!!

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
Which routers/AP have the msot power for wireless... I currently have a DLink 22Mbps router and it goes up to 17db it says at full power... but at about 70feet in a building(not even through walls it starts losing signal at a great rate... are there any routers/AP with greater strength than this dlink?? Are the newer ones better??

Thanx, QwertyJuan

depending on the distance you could just add a signal booster to the wireless network.

As stated above, get a new router. If you are talking about the 614+ router, the range sucks even with the 6db Dlink antenna.

I have a Linksys WRT54G. THere is a hacked firmware where you can greatly increase the output power. Anywhere in my house is full signal strength and a 4-5 houses down the street it still works too with a Linksys WRT54G USB adapter.

Otherwise, you can always get the stuff that has a mile of range.

But... doesn't more power also come with a risk of more people hopping along for the ride?

I am not sharing internet... this router is only to allow people access to the internal network...

QwertyJuan

Originally posted by QwertyJuan
I am not sharing internet... this router is only to allow people access to the internal network...

QwertyJuan

I'd be happy if all people wanted was to bum off my internet connection. too bad most people want your internal network. so they can rummage through and see what they can find usful or destroy data at the very least =\

with the current power, a person INSIDE the building would have a hard time getting enough signal to hack the server let alone out by the road :D

QwertyJuan

P.S. I did move it to a different location and it seems to be working better... but still not what it should IMO...

I should ask... what kind of wireless card are you using?

At the location I use the 614+ router there is a DWL-650+ PCMCIA card (the one that came bundled with the router) and the DWL-G650. The 650+ has VERY poor range.... it can barely make it one wall and 25 feet. The G650 can go all throughout the house, but with pretty poor signal in some areas.

Originally posted by Intelman34
As stated above, get a new router. If you are talking about the 614+ router, the range sucks even with the 6db Dlink antenna.

I have a Linksys WRT54G. THere is a hacked firmware where you can greatly increase the output power. Anywhere in my house is full signal strength and a 4-5 houses down the street it still works too with a Linksys WRT54G USB adapter.

Otherwise, you can always get the stuff that has a mile of range.

With the hacked firmware that you are useing does it change how the router is administrated? In others words does it change the GUI? And if it does is it better or worse then the Linksys firmware?

Originally posted by Flagg
With the hacked firmware that you are useing does it change how the router is administrated? In others words does it change the GUI? And if it does is it better or worse then the Linksys firmware?

It changes some admin options, but I just use it for the 19.25dbm of power and ping hacks.

It is much less buggy than the Linksys crap.

Here is his site:
http://h.vu.wifi-box.net/wrt54g/

The hacked firmwares are lower on the page.

Originally posted by Intelman34
I should ask... what kind of wireless card are you using?

At the location I use the 614+ router there is a DWL-650+ PCMCIA card (the one that came bundled with the router) and the DWL-G650. The 650+ has VERY poor range.... it can barely make it one wall and 25 feet. The G650 can go all throughout the house, but with pretty poor signal in some areas.

Yes it is the 650+

Maybe that's the problem eh??

Originally posted by QwertyJuan
Yes it is the 650+

Maybe that's the problem eh??

It very well could be the problem.

I would definetly pick up the G650 and try it.

Then no... none exist unfortunately.

It is a VERY short range router :(

I say get yourself a WRT54G when you are picking up a new card :cool:

I think what he's trying to say here is....don't get D-Link, get Linksys. I also have used several Linksys products and all work great. I had 1 Intel AP and it was garbage. Replaced it with a Linksys B Router/AP w/ Booster, and the house has a strong signal everywhere.

Originally posted by oakfan52
I'd be happy if all people wanted was to bum off my internet connection. too bad most people want your internal network. so they can rummage through and see what they can find usful or destroy data at the very least =\

Put your wireless outside your firewall, put your internal (wired) network inside your firewall, and then run a vpn for anything wireless that is allowed to access your internal network. :)

share internet + semi-secure network.
Of course you can just lock down your wireless network by only letting certain MAC addresses connect..

Back