• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

I can cut this, right?

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
1,786
Hey, I have an SI-128 cooler in my HTPC rig.

Problem is, I want to install a glass window but my current fan is too thick.

So, I ordered a 120x12mm fan and my intention is to fit it below the cooler, instead of on top.

The only thing blocking me are what appear to be two steel support columns.

si128se.jpg


Now, I made the mistake a little while ago (just to try it out) of cutting a heatpipe. I found out that it negated the cooling properties of said heatpipe.

Basically, I am here to confirm that it is okay for me to cut this piece of metal with no negative effects as to its cooling capacity.

Thank you.
 
Adding a fan to an unsupported heatsink is asking for trouble...but go for it.

**disclaimer**
This post is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty. it is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. the entire risk as to the quality and performance of the post is with you. should the post prove defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing, repair or correction.
 
Not part of the heatpipe, so you should be fine.:D

Might droop though if the fan is heavy.
 
Another vote for trying to bend first before resorting to ultimate resolution. Grab the pipewrench, cover it in tape to minimize scratches and go for it.
 
Man thats a sexy cooler. I miss it. Gave it away with a build :(

Ker-Bling!


*edit* err, that's a slightly less sexy version of the SI 120. Either way :p
 
Adding a fan to an unsupported heatsink is asking for trouble...but go for it.

**disclaimer**
This post is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty. it is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. the entire risk as to the quality and performance of the post is with you. should the post prove defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing, repair or correction.

LOL

No, guys, I plan on supporting it with something else.

Obviously, I wouldn't leave the heatsink unsupported, even if the fan is under it and thus not really adding to the overall weight.
 
Back
Top