i am going to inherit a "network administrator" job; with -cliff notes-

ok.. i have been working for a small business for the past few months (and my friends parents own it) so.. they made me the "network administrative assistant" .. basically i helped out the network administrator.. i upgraded all the comptuers to winXP, i became the help desk, i physically moved the hardware around, fixed the computers. etc.. i also made the website, but then they hired it to get done with a CMS by someone else since my strong points are in the aesthetics not programming and stuff.. plus it wasn't getting updated enough (because no one was giving me content) but the somehow thing it will get updated more often if they have a cms and appoint people to update certain sections.,,.

blah.. that website stuff is mostly irrelevant..

the "network administrator" got a new job.. friday is his last day.. he is going to show me how to do all of the things he was doing.. i will be responsible for the backup, i need to learn how to install some really old software that is a pain in the ass to get working but we still use it.. i don't really know what else he did..

now.. i am going to write a formal letter to the presidents of the company, and propose that i be the new "network administrator". but i think i need to make a better job title. what would look the best on a resume? something like "IT Manager", "IT Director"... i am going to be doing this for a few months hopefully, becasue i plan on going back to school in ohio, and this job is in DC... but since the owners are my friends parents, i think they will give me a chance to prove myself until them and let me change the job title to something that looks really good on a resume.

i have no formal certifications.. and i know i am far from "knowing my shit"... but i know i can definitely keep the network running, the one thing that i would probably have the most problems with is the exchange server, but i can always make a test one and play with it... but i know i can add new hardware, order toner, suggest new equipment, etc..

so my biggest questions are

what is a good job title to propose?
should i ask for a certain pay rate, or write that they should give me what they think is best?
i don't know what else to ask.. i am going to starting thinking of my proposal and i am sure i will come up with more questions..

cliff notes:
- i have been working as the assistant to the "network administrator" at a small company for the last 5 months or so
- the "network administrator" has accepted a new job and i am going to take over on monday, since they haven't had time to find a new person
- i am going to propose this formally in a letter to the presidents of the company instead of just letting it happen.
- in my proposal i am thinking of proposing a different job title that will look good on a resume
- i want to know how the best way to go about this is...

let's start with job titles. what job titles look best on a resume?

thanks

scott

Network Administrator is a great title. Titles like manager or director imply your time is spent with paperwork instead of technical work. Network Admin is a great step-up title, looks great on a resume.

A title isn't just a name. With a title of Manager or Director you get certain responsibility. A manager manages people. Do you? A Director manages more people and has control over a large amount of the budget. Do you?

With your experience and education you should be very happy with the usual Network Administrator title. It's a great title and well worth having.

i may change it back to "network admin, or network director" the previous person did control a fairly major chunk of the budget.. i know he spent a great deal of money on the servers but that was right when I got here so i am not sure if he proposed it first or not.. but he would easilly drop $700 on a computer without even asking someone first...

how is this for a start?
it is very rough..
also.. any network admins out there... what else is part of the job? it is kinda funny that i am trying to do a job that i know hardly anything about, but i will be able to pull it off...

From the desk of: Scott Snyder
To: James M Griffin
Marcia M Griffin

As you are aware, Alix has accepted a new job and is leaving this Friday. I really regret to see him go. I enjoyed working with him and learned a lot. In his absence I will be needing to re-evaluate my job position here at HomeFree-USA. This gives me the opportunity to establish and prove myself and see just how strong my skills are in the Information Technology Field. I am confident that I will be able to maintain the computer network and its resources and will learn a lot from the experience. With me doing so I will be giving you time to decide what you want to do to find someone to replace Alix on a permanent basis.
I am proposing that I be the “Information Technology Director” here at HomeFree-USA. My key job responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining the integrity hardware resources of the HomeFree-USA computer network and the data resources held within it. This includes:
- Performing data backup
- Maintaining the operation of and updating all of the software on both the Servers and individual workstations.
- Maintaining the operation of the e-mail server and the integrity of the e-mail data.
- Researching, recommending and implementing new software purchases and upgrades.
- Maintaining the hardware resources (computers, printers, copiers, servers) within the HomeFree-USA offices.
- Researching, recommending and implementing new hardware purchases and upgrades.
- Assisting employees to best use the computing resources to best advantage them. This includes:
- Answering employee computing questions
- Listening to employee suggestions on how to help them best meet their computing requirements.
- Training and assisting them on how to most efficiently use the computing resources they have at their disposal.
- Maintaining the operation of the HomeFree-USA Website and assist in improving, expanding, and marketing it. Included in this is:
- Updating the content of the website or working with someone whose responsibility it will be to do so.
- Renewing contracts for the URL and hosting services of the website.
- Maintaining the connection of the internal network to the resources of the internet.
- Administering the HOMS database.

I have enjoyed being a member of the HomeFree-USA family and hope that I will be able to continue being an asset to the company in its pursuit of meeting and exceeding its goals.

Sounds like a network admin to me. I don't want to be a jerk, but if someone that is currently a junior type admin sent this to me I'd tell them to get out. You also need to look down the road. If I saw those items on a resume with a title of Director I'd think you worked for a tiny place with 10 people and just gave yourself the title. In the corporate world Director means something. From the dictionary:

1. director, manager, managing director -- (someone who controls resources and expenditures)

Was the last guy a Network Admin? Why should they instantly give you a higher title when you have less experience? My point here is this: You obviously want to move up and take this job. Don't overstep your bounds. To be honest, I'd skip the letter and do a sit down.

How big is this company?

A little bit about me.... I'm a Team Lead for the Network Team at my company. We're about 250 users. My team has 4 people in it. I've been in the field 10 years and have 5 books published. At some point I plan to make Director but I won't until I finish more school and get more business experience.

the network admin just gave me this:

Network:
1. Backup
2. Add/Delete User
3. G-Share Search
4. Antivirus
5. Add new workstation
6. Outsourcing

Internet
1. Connectivity
2. Outlook
3. Webmail
4. Terminal Service
5. Mass E-mail
6. Web Site Change

MSS
1. Setup
2. Connectivity with DU
3. Report
4. Re-indexing data

Credo-Fastweb
1. Setup

Copier/Printer
1. Connection
2. Paper Jam
3. Cartridge change
4. Clean up the queue

Fax
1. Cartridge change
2. Jam
3. Resetting the Configuration

PowerPoint Presentation Class
1. Connection of the LCD projector, VCR and Sound
2. Fixing the image on the screen

Merchant Machine
1. Connection

HOMS
1. Add/Delete User
2. Report
3. Adds product and classes

He also told me to ask for $17 - $20 an hour.. and i will probably get $15.. (i am thinking that he made less than $20, which is why he got a new job)

Sorry - everyone here is slamming you. Nothing wrong with being a Network Admin.

NONE of the responsibilities that you have detailed even remotely come close to being what would be defined as roles and responsibilities of a Manager or Director.

If you are not happy with the title (not that you even have the job yet - this sounds like putting the cart before the horse), I think you have bigger problems. Resumes are supposed to reflect continual experience, jumping from Assistant to the Network Admin to Information Technology Director will ring warning bells with a future employer and not benefit your case at all.

I love going to trade shows where every 18 year old is CEO, CIO, Director, or Manager. Get more experience, supervise (ie MANAGE) some people, then try again for a fancier title.

How is this slamming him? If he wants to move up in the world (when he's done with this place) the worst thing that he can do for himself is give himself some bloated title that isn't relevant to the position really.

Given the responsibilities listed there's no way in hell I'd allow him to have a Manager or Director title.

Go with something like Senior Network Administrator or something like that.

Even "Senior" is a bit of a stretch... Given the pay rate and level of experience, "Network Admin" is what you want.

As someone else already said, skip the letter, and just talk it over.

Why not just make yourself the IT Surpeme Being?

all jokes aside, you'd be making a mistake by requesting that title. I promise the owners will think you're some kind of asshole and so would any "real" IT director. A garbage man is not a sanitation engineer. I'm not saying network admin title :: garbage man. I'm saying you're a garbage man.

did any of that come out right? :eek:

I am kinda in your situation. My company that i am interning at whats to hire me full time. this is what i came up with for my role as IT Manager:

The responsibilities shall include but are not limited:

1. Managing all issues regarding technology which shall include:
a. Inter-office systems
i. Windows workstations
ii. Windows servers (2003 server/exchange)
iii. Networking equipment
iv. Computer software
v. Computer peripherals
vi. Phone equipment (does not include management of PBX, only regular maintenance)
vii. Development servers
b. Globix Systems

2. Project Manager that oversees all technology projects which include:
a. IT related projects

3. Initiate projects that use technology as an aid in business functions

Sorry, cut and paste from word.

ok.. no one is slamming me at all.. i tottally understand what you are saying..
i haven't been in the "real world" too long (and i am going to go back into my bubble of a college soon hopefully) but i dind't realize the disticntions between, manager, administrator, director, etc... i was just going off of some advice my friend gave me which is to get something that looks good on a resume..

now... should i acutally ask to the "interim network administrator" ? since that is all i am planning on being right now... also, i will be payed as a consultant.. (that is their way of not giving me benifits) so something like "resident interim network administrative consultant" would be the most apporopriate job title.. i am actually a modest person, but figured that my friend was talking sense at 11 pm last night when i was typing this up at 9 am.. and he is..

more about my company..
founded in 1995
in total it is 2 offices.. a non profit organization with affiliates and shit..
i would only be responsible for 1 building which contains about 30 - 35 employees
the former network administrator was there since 1997 or 1998.. and was a "consultant" the entire time.

now.. yes i could just sit down with a few people and discuss the job.. the biggest problem with that they are not really all on the office and available at the same time.. i figure that i could put the letter on each of their desks.. and then put a the bottom that they can feel free to arrange a meeting with me to discuss it in person..

also.. there is a woman that works with me who wrote a letter requesting a job when someone left, and she got it.. so that works..

but yes.. it is a small company.. and i was thinking that i could just give myself a bloated title just so it would look good on a resume..

ok.. i am just repeating the same shit over again...

i am going to start working on a revied, abridged version...

thanks for the advice everyone, and keep it up, i really appreciate it..

This gives me the opportunity to establish and prove myself and see just how strong my skills are in the Information Technology Field. I am confident that I will be able to maintain the computer network and its resources and will learn a lot from the experience.

Cut this out or reword it entirely. Employers do not want to hire someone to have to teach them. They want to hire someone knowing that the person can do the job. Let them know that you CAN do the job.

Also, the letter is a good idea. I would write up the letter and then arrange for a sit down with them where you can hand them the letter and talk it over.

Don't get caught up in the title. Just make sure that they know you're shooting for the old guy's job.

good luck :)

--KK

the formatting was lost but here is draft # 10 or something

To: Marcia J Griffin, James M Griffin
CC: Earlene Fields, Marvin Adams, Carol Seabrooks

Alix’s resignation from HomeFree-USA last week came to me as a surprise as it most likely did to you also. This coming Monday I will be left without an official job position as a result of this. I really enjoyed working with Alix these past few months. I learned new things every day and had fun at the same time. Alix’s position will be a hard one to fill. The decision on how to best accomplish this should not be rushed. Therefore I am proposing that I resume Alix’s position as the “Interim Network Administrator” here at HomeFree-USA. While working alongside Alix I was able to view first hand his methods and approach in administering the computer network at HomeFree-USA. I am confident that I will be able to maintain the integrity of the computer network and its resources. The acceptance of my proposal would give me the unique opportunity to see first hand how strong my skills are in the Information Technology Field. Most importantly I would be able to learn a great deal about computer networks and the workplace in general from this experience.
Below you will find an outline of the job responsibilities that I will be planning on performing as the “Interim Network Administrator”. This list is not meant to be exhaustive but does cover all of the major areas or responsibility that need to be considered.
1) Maintaining the integrity hardware resources of the HomeFree-USA computer network and the data resources held within it. This includes:
a) Performing Data Backup
b) Maintaining the functionality of all software used by the HomeFree-USA computing resources
c) Maintaining the functionality of the hardware resources inside the HomeFree-USA Riggs Rd. Office and keeping it technologically current.
2) Assisting HomeFree-USA employees to use the computing resources available to them to the best of their advantage. This includes:
a) Answering employee questions and listening to their suggestions on how to help them best meet their computing needs
3) Maintaining access and connectivity to internet resources and the H.O.M.S database
4) Assisting in keeping the website current and functional
5) Maintaining the functionality of E-Mail resources on the HomeFree-USA servers
6) Keeping all user accounts functional and current
7) Setting up the projector and laptop for use with power point presentations
8) Possibly assisting in the search for a new Network Administrator
Although it is a formal way of submitting my proposition, writing a letter is also impersonal. I would like to request that I schedule a sit down meeting with whoever wants to be involved to discuss my proposal. This is when pay rate, hours, and a more comprehensive list of responsibilities could all be discussed.

Sincerely,

Better but you still need to cut out everything about "wanting to learn".

If you were applying for an internship position or a student position then it'd "might" fit. But you're moving into the net admin job. Don't list anything about wanting to learn. You are there to DO. Let them know that you can DO!

Also, I don't get why you want to label yourself as a temp worker. Take the job from the perspective that you will work there permanently. There's no point in giving them a chance to fire you for someone else a week after you assume the position.

--KK

scottatwittenberg said:
ok.. i have been working for a small business for the past few months (and my friends parents own it) so.. they made me the "network administrative assistant" .. basically i helped out the network administrator.. i upgraded all the comptuers to winXP, i became the help desk, i physically moved the hardware around, fixed the computers. etc.. i also made the website, but then they hired it to get done with a CMS by someone else since my strong points are in the aesthetics not programming and stuff.. plus it wasn't getting updated enough (because no one was giving me content) but the somehow thing it will get updated more often if they have a cms and appoint people to update certain sections.,,.

blah.. that website stuff is mostly irrelevant..

the "network administrator" got a new job.. friday is his last day.. he is going to show me how to do all of the things he was doing.. i will be responsible for the backup, i need to learn how to install some really old software that is a pain in the ass to get working but we still use it.. i don't really know what else he did..

now.. i am going to write a formal letter to the presidents of the company, and propose that i be the new "network administrator". but i think i need to make a better job title. what would look the best on a resume? something like "IT Manager", "IT Director"... i am going to be doing this for a few months hopefully, becasue i plan on going back to school in ohio, and this job is in DC... but since the owners are my friends parents, i think they will give me a chance to prove myself until them and let me change the job title to something that looks really good on a resume.

i have no formal certifications.. and i know i am far from "knowing my shit"... but i know i can definitely keep the network running, the one thing that i would probably have the most problems with is the exchange server, but i can always make a test one and play with it... but i know i can add new hardware, order toner, suggest new equipment, etc..

so my biggest questions are

what is a good job title to propose?
should i ask for a certain pay rate, or write that they should give me what they think is best?
i don't know what else to ask.. i am going to starting thinking of my proposal and i am sure i will come up with more questions..

cliff notes:
- i have been working as the assistant to the "network administrator" at a small company for the last 5 months or so
- the "network administrator" has accepted a new job and i am going to take over on monday, since they haven't had time to find a new person
- i am going to propose this formally in a letter to the presidents of the company instead of just letting it happen.
- in my proposal i am thinking of proposing a different job title that will look good on a resume
- i want to know how the best way to go about this is...

let's start with job titles. what job titles look best on a resume?

thanks

scott

I'd go with Network Admin. or Director of Networking, or Director of Information Systems

ok.. more history on the job..
i originally got the job becasue i needed one, my friend's parents own this business and he told them.. they actually made a job for me.. i was only supposed to have it until the end of the summer... then i went to europe for over a month and left thinking that i was going to hvae to find a new job when i got back here.. so i came back here and his mom called me and said "can you put some songs on my ipod, i will pay you..." so i did.. while i was in the office all kinds of people were asking if i was working here again, the same people that told me that i wasn't going to have a job here after i came back from europe.. so 2 weeks ago... i got rehired as the assistant netowrk admin, for 18 hours a week.. i worked 6 hours on the ipod and 18 hours at the job that first week.. the 2nd week was columbus day.. and on tuesday the network admin told me that he was about to give them his resignation.. that week i worked 4 days.. and now we are in this week.. i have been working full days becasue the network admin is making sure i know how to do everything needed to keep this place running after he leaves... so it is almost assumed that i am just going to kinda take over.. even though i have only been back for 2 weeks.. i am going to take a proactive approach though, even though that isn't my style..

so this is why i say interim, and learning and shit.. they know i am not technically qualified.. they no i have no certifications.. they are hoping as much as i am that i get back into school by january.. they only gave me the job to begin with as a favor almost.. i could just as well leave out the work interim and the two sentences about learning and only mention it if it comes up in conversation though...

i am going to make sure i show the final copy to the network admin as well as a few other people that have worked here a long time before handing it in.. to see what they think..

scottatwittenberg said:
so this is why i say interim, and learning and shit.. they know i am not technically qualified.. they no i have no certifications.. they are hoping as much as i am that i get back into school by january.. they only gave me the job to begin with as a favor almost.. i could just as well leave out the work interim and the two sentences about learning and only mention it if it comes up in conversation though...

i am going to make sure i show the final copy to the network admin as well as a few other people that have worked here a long time before handing it in.. to see what they think..
Do whatever it takes to get back into school (I am sure there is a story there as well - and it wont look good on your resume ...).

If your job is maintaining the wifes iPod as part of your duties, you are not a Director of anything (perhaps music director?) ... you are a Network Admin, or perhaps Systems Support Engineer (and people with engineering backgrounds will give you grief over having engineer in your title).

You are actually in a good position here, you just need some guidance. When talking to the owners, if they are willing to take you on full time, negotiaite time off for school, and go back to school part time in January. That will probably be a win/win for both of you - you get experience and some extra cash, they get someone to look after their systems. It will probably be an hourly rate (which will mean time sheets), or a defined 20 hours (whatever) per week role. Have them buy a laptop, cellphone, and cellular modem (eg T-Mobile Gc97) so you can be "on call, and work remotely while at school if an emergency arises.

DO NOT go in as a smartass. You have no qualifications - they hold the cards. Clearly write down the point you want to bring up with them, but don't email it - talk to them, be prepared to negotiate your position. Know what concessions you can give up, and which you can't. Be strong, but don't be arrogant. Its just as easy for them to say "bye, bye."

school is in ohio, i am in DC.. i would much rather go to school full time in ohio, than part time here.. but things don't always go how you want them to..

and the ipod is actually the president of the company's..

If I got *that* letter from an employee that was in the same spot, I would probably fire them.

Why so harsh?

1. the truth is your not qualified to be the network admin, much less the director of IT
2. because of #1, I would assume you have a hard-on for titles and could care less about what you actually do
3. never say you want to learn or your not qualified. you say that way too much in your letter. I dont know about your bosses, but I would know what my employees qualifications are if ive worked with them a while...this is NOT contradictory to #1, people might know your strengths and weaknesses, but never shed light on your weaknesses unless they specifically ask for them
4. just say you are looking forward to taking on more responsibilities, and that you have positive attitiude that you will be succesfull, forget the title, until you learn the job, the title is nothing but hot air

scottatwittenberg said:
To: James M Griffin
Marcia M Griffin

As you are aware, Alix has accepted a new job and is leaving this Friday. I really regret to see him go. I enjoyed working with him and learned a lot. In his absence I will be needing to re-evaluate my job position here at HomeFree-USA. This gives me the opportunity to establish and prove myself and see just how strong my skills are in the Information Technology Field. I am confident that I will be able to maintain the computer network and its resources and will learn a lot from the experience. With me doing so I will be giving you time to decide what you want to do to find someone to replace Alix on a permanent basis.
I am proposing that I be the “Information Technology Director” here at HomeFree-USA. My key job responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining the integrity hardware resources of the HomeFree-USA computer network and the data resources held within it. This includes:
- Performing data backup
- Maintaining the operation of and updating all of the software on both the Servers and individual workstations.
- Maintaining the operation of the e-mail server and the integrity of the e-mail data.
- Researching, recommending and implementing new software purchases and upgrades.
- Maintaining the hardware resources (computers, printers, copiers, servers) within the HomeFree-USA offices.
- Researching, recommending and implementing new hardware purchases and upgrades.
- Assisting employees to best use the computing resources to best advantage them. This includes:
- Answering employee computing questions
- Listening to employee suggestions on how to help them best meet their computing requirements.
- Training and assisting them on how to most efficiently use the computing resources they have at their disposal.
- Maintaining the operation of the HomeFree-USA Website and assist in improving, expanding, and marketing it. Included in this is:
- Updating the content of the website or working with someone whose responsibility it will be to do so.
- Renewing contracts for the URL and hosting services of the website.
- Maintaining the connection of the internal network to the resources of the internet.
- Administering the HOMS database.

I have enjoyed being a member of the HomeFree-USA family and hope that I will be able to continue being an asset to the company in its pursuit of meeting and exceeding its goals.
Sounds like what I used to do at my high school.

scottatwittenberg said:
but yes.. it is a small company.. and i was thinking that i could just give myself a bloated title just so it would look good on a resume..

That's the problem. You would commit career suicide very early on if you did that.

It doesn't sound to me like writing a letter is appropriate. I'd just talk to them. No reason to be formal, it sounds like you know these people and they know they are doing you a favor, so just go in and ask for the Network Admin job that is now vacant.

Be honest with them about your plans, if you want to go back to school full time, they'll need to find someone else when you go. Don't commit to stay just to get the job, unless that's really what you want.

scottatwittenberg said:
school is in ohio, i am in DC.. i would much rather go to school full time in ohio, than part time here.. but things don't always go how you want them to..

and the ipod is actually the president of the company's..
You see, this just gets worse ... so you are not even thinking of staying around. You have tickets on yourself. I think the best your "employer" can do is have you stick around long enough to train a new Systems Admin person.

Work the hours you can between now and the end of the year, but don't expect any committment. You just aren't sticking around long enough.

Sorry that sounds harsh, but its reality.

Wolf-R1 said:
That's the problem. You would commit career suicide very early on if you did that.

IT administrator is just fine. Titles are just words. What matters is what you accomplish at your job. That will seperate you from the rest of the group.

new first paragraph... no sense in pasting the rest as it hasn't changed...

I came through the doors of HomeFree-USA this February looking forward to the opportunity I had to apply some of my talents and skills in a workplace environment. Working with Alix these past few months has given me the opportunity to refine and expand my computer networking skills, all the while making a positive contribution to HomeFree-USA. Alix’s resignation has left a void in this organization that will need to be filled. The decision on how to best fill this void should not be rushed. Therefore I am proposing that I assume Alix’s position as the Network Administrator on an interim basis in order to prove myself as being capable of fulfilling all of the responsibilities required of this position. While working alongside Alix I was able to view first hand his methods and approach in administering the computer network at HomeFree-USA. I am confident that I will be able to maintain the integrity and functionality of the computer network and its resources.

Its a sad day indeed to see a director, or even a "network admin" title on someone who spent close to 10% of their time at the job setting up an iPod.

Your description to me sounds like a Desktop support with light administrative duties.

But what do I know. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, this letter just isn't representing you very well.

I don't think you've quite grasped what it is that we don't like about this letter, so let me lay it out for you. I'm going to be completetly honest, as I think this is the only way to help you. Please don't be offended.

Here's what you wrote, and what runs through my head if I'm your employer when I read it:

scottatwittenberg said:
... the opportunity I had to apply some of my talents and skills in a workplace environment.
The opportunity to get some work experience. (Why is he using fancy language?)

Working with Alix these past few months has given me the opportunity to refine and expand my computer networking skills
He's learned a lot from Alix.

all the while making a positive contribution to HomeFree-USA.
Oh, boy, a "positive contribution." Fantastic.

Alix’s resignation has left a void in this organization that will need to be filled. The decision on how to best fill this void should not be rushed.
Are you telling me how to run my business??? OUT!!!!

...While working alongside Alix I was able to view first hand his methods and approach in administering the computer network at HomeFree-USA.

Years of networking experience isn't something you can "pick up" by watching someone else do it. I wonder if he really did learn anything or if he's just bullshitting me.

...And so on for the rest of the letter. If I got a letter like this, I wouldn't necessarily fire you. I'd consider it pretty tacky, but I'd write it off to youth and inexperience. Most likely I'd sent you back a short email offering you the job with the existing title, on a provisional basis, for less than whatever the other guy was getting paid. Which is probably what they'd do if you just sat down with them and asked, and (hopefully) you wouldn't come across so badly in person.

HTH.

Ask for a raise - see what they give you.
If it's decent stay.

If not - look for another position and leave as soon as possible.

Either they value you and will pay you accordingly, or they don't and won't.

So many times in this situation- the employer just puts you into the new positions and responsibilities by default, and doesn't offer a pay raise. Bargain for them.

Like I said - ask for a raise - skip the explaining - they know what you are worth - or should. Stick to your guns. Accept what they do or don't give you.

Then try to find another position. If it's better - use this as a spring board to get there.

I.e.

My previous position was network admin after our primary Net admin left. I took over ALL responsibilities and did my job with excellence. Yet, quite simply, my employer did not adjust my position appropriately.

Thus, I am here applying for this position where I can apply my skills professionally, and solve your problems.

Then switch over to how all of your experience and skills can solve their headaches every day. Make yourself sound like the perfect fit, with how you can solve the headaches they are having now.

Ask THEM - what problems do you struggle with now - then let them know that you know how to solve it.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

I have to ask this - What program/school are you enrolling in in Ohio?

Get whatever experience you can, take whatever the employer will pay you, but just be clear that you are going to Ohio for school in January.

wpd7 said:
Its a sad day indeed to see a director, or even a "network admin" title on someone who spent close to 10% of their time at the job setting up an iPod.

Your description to me sounds like a Desktop support with light administrative duties.

But what do I know. :rolleyes:

that is what i did when i was the assistant network admin.. it was more of a help desk.. and doing the leg work that the admin didn't have the time to do..

as far as school goes.. i am a communication major at wittenberg university.. nothing computer related at all.. and they know i am going back to school.. their son is in attendance at that shcool and that's know i know them...

scottatwittenberg said:
as far as school goes.. i am a communication major at wittenberg university.. nothing computer related at all.. and they know i am going back to school.. their son is in attendance at that shcool and that's know i know them...

From the Wittenberg University academic catalog:

Communication is the study of how people make meaning. At Wittenberg, the Department of Communication adopts a broad perspective on this topic by challenging students to examine the nature, processes, and effects of human symbolic interaction in a number of contexts. These include the study of rhetoric (persuasion, public speaking, public discourse), media (media literacy, media criticism, computer-mediated communication), and culture (relational communication, intercultural communication, gender and communication).

Have you done a business communication course yet? If you are going back, you have very little chance of a full time job. There are a lot of costs in employing someone full time that the employee never sees. I can see you staying on in a part time basis at a level below that at which the Dept of Labor requires benefits be paid until you leave to go back to school.

Work while you can - save up some $$$. Gain as much experience as you can, but remember that these people are running their business on these computers, and it is not your personal playground to experiment and learn on.

If you want to do something different, look into starting an "S" corporation, with you as a sole proprieter (then your title can be whatever you would like it to be). Contract back to the folk you are working with until you leave. Use them as a reference site. Take the business with you to Ohio, and try to pick up similar work. I am guessing this is a Home Mortgage business - every town has them. Your current employers might even give you a couple of direct referrals, or access to a membership list that you can write some letters of introduction to to start up in Ohio (part time while you are studying).

Good luck. Stretch targets are great, but don't over extend yourself.

i get no benefits, they have been paying me as a consultant and will continue to no matter what my position here is..

the only work i plan on doing for this company when i go back to ohio is update the website.. that can be done from anywhere.. but they need to find a new network admin.. i am only proposing that i am one for the next few months...

scottatwittenberg said:
i get no benefits, they have been paying me as a consultant and will continue to no matter what my position here is..
Then why do you want a title?

scottatwittenberg said:

the only work i plan on doing for this company when i go back to ohio is update the website.. that can be done from anywhere.. but they need to find a new network admin.. i am only proposing that i am one for the next few months...
If you are currently a consultant, there is nothing wrong with that appearing on your resume.

STRONGLY suggest you look into the S-corp deal though. It gives you a level of legal protection, and will allow you to legitaimately work for multiple employers as a consultant - and might earn you more money than pulling coffee at the local Bigbucks, or flipping burgers at the local scottish restaurant.

I am biased here - I have a strong science background - but where are you hoping on taking a communications degree? You really want a resume that helps make you look as strong as possible when you graduate from that program into the "real world", not one that is just filler with fancy titles. Consultant works - just remember to put a list of what you did in a file so you can refer back to them later, also grab a letter of reference before you leave, and file that away for later as well.

I am trying hard to be as constructive as possible, and not be a complete ass. So, I apologise if I have offended you ... just trying to wake you up a little.

yeah, this is insane. i'd be pissed about this letter too if i was the owner. let me make a numbered list of the problems with both the letter, and the situation in general.
1) you should not "propose" anything. not being network admin. not being IT director. nothing. go to the bosses or email them and say "look, alix is leaving (and doesn't know how to spell his own name ;) and i want you to know that i am here to provide whatever help you need to make a transition to a new network admin as smooth as possible. if you want me to take over for a couple weeks till you can find someone then i can do it. if you want me to teach the new guy everything i know about this place i will."

2) you are not an IT director. i am not an IT director. you are unqualified for the job and fail to realize it. unless you have 5 years of experience you aren't telling us about the minimal time you've logged on these forums and at that job do not qualify you to take over that guy's job in any type of permanent capacity. it is gobs more difficult than you think. when you come in at 8:30am one morning, still groggy for lack of coffee and the receptionist greets you with "email is down" what technical background are you going to draw upon to fix the problem.

you are sitting there watching this guy install MS office for someone and label tapes and you think it's the easiest job in the world. it's not. symantec antivirus is going to download an update one day that causes it to recognize your exchange logs as viruses and you are going to be up shits creek. do you have a paddle? do you get the thing back online in 15 minutes? or do you curl up in the fetal position in the corner and suck your thumb.

3) you have devoted all your effort so far to the title you are going to have. devote your effort to logging as many hours in there as possible. turn your attitude 180 degreees from pompous expectations of title bestowment, to humble servitude. you will win the favor of people who run the business. you will also make friends with the new guy by helping him out. these personal relationships will give you something else you are going to need and use more than a title- strong references.

4) as everyone has said, you are a temporary worker. no one is going to plunk down all their chips of their business on the back of a guy who could care less because he's off to school in 5 months.

as others have said- this is not meant to be derogatory to you. but you are approaching this situation all wrong. you need to be glad you're making money there and not expect to have some golden resume because of this one job. even if you put IT Director on your resume future employers are going to look at it and say "wtf?? you were IT Director for 4 months??" either they will know it's BS or they'll say "sorry, we're looking for someone who we can count on for longer than that."

ok, i know nothing about owning, running, a business.. i have no experience, or background in it..

so consulting.. S corporation... what does that mean?
does me being a self employeed consultant mean that i am a small business? i already know that i have to figure out how to file my taxes and tha twill be interesting...

why wouldn't one be able to work for multiple companies at one time?

would i have to make a consulting firm? scott snyder consulting group llc?
would i have to specialize in some area? or do anything from hardware, to software, to setup, to websites?

how do i list being a consultant on a resume? say i go from charging $10 an hour to $50 an hour over the period of a few years? how do i reflect this pay raise on a resume?

this is going off topic fast..

thanks everyone for the suggestions.. i am going to turn in the letter i wrote the most recently.. basically saying.. i want to assume the job on a interim basis in order to prove my abilities to you.. i know these people personally.. they are not even going to read it half as closely as all of you have.. it is just a means of opening a dialogue with them so i can discuss the matter personally.. they know i am going back to school. but i am pretty sure they will give me a chance, becasue they know that they can just hire smeone else if i don't live up to their expectations.. and i will still have a job, i will just be demoted to being the new person's assistant again, and i will probably have to help them figure out how to do everything anyways since it is so disorganized...

i really would like to know more about being a consultant though.. it really doesn't fit appropriately into the forums here aside from possibly the genmay section somewhere.. but i could possibly talk to all kinds of companies in springfield oh once i get back and offer help anywhere from fixing spyware, to setting up networks...

i guess i should look into the business courses that my school offers and seeing if i can pick up something as an elective that could help me.. i really am coming close to barely even finishing a communication degree on time however since i spent the first 2 years ther e taking every general requirement under hte sun while i tried to figure out what i even wanted my major to be..

thanks for the advice everyone, i learned fro this experinece and i will report back to all of you how this all goes when i know in a couple of days...

feel free to keep commenting.. especially if you have useful info on me being a consultant instead of saying i work for "homefree-usa" even though i am really technically working for myself..

big daddy fatsacks said:
yeah, this is insane. i'd be pissed about this letter too if i was the owner. let me make a numbered list of the problems with both the letter, and the situation in general.

<snip>
Very well put. Everything you said is exactly right.

To Scott:

Don't worry about the business end right now. Just keep doing what you're doing, and get some experience. You can worry about an S corp later, for now you need to focus on, as was already said, putting in the hours and actually learning what you are doing.

Also, quit worrying about your resume. That should be the last thing on your mind right now. If you know what you're doing, your resume will write itself, and if you don't, it won't matter. A resume is a way to summarize what experience you have. If you find yourself trying to plan your career around what it will make your resume look like, you're already sunk.

Back