Hyperthreading enabled causes XP Pro to lockup

rusek

Limp Gawd
Hello, after recently upgrading my computer with a new motherboard, a MSI 865PE Neo-2PLS, I reininstalled XP Pro w/SP2 and isntalled all of the latest drivers for the mobo and the videocard, ect, and the latest BIOS for the mobo.

When booting into windows without hyperthreading on, everything loads and works fine. When loading windows with hyperthreading enabled, the system freezes when it gets to the desktop. But, when booting into safemode with hyperthreading enabled, the system also works fine. When I boot into windows w/HT enabled, and i have even disabled all programs that will boot up at start by using MSCONFIG, the system will still freeze.

Everything else in the system works fine.

MSI 865PE Neo-2PLS
2.8C Pentium 4
4x512mb Corsair Value Select (200mhz, 2.5-3-3-8)
Hitachi Deskstar 80gb 7200rpm
eVGA 6800 AGP 8x

Any ideas what is causing the computer to freeze, probably something that is starting when the PC starts, but even MSCONFIG didnt stop all of the programs that boot up apparently.

Because it works in safe mode, it sounds like something is loading that you didn't manage to disable.

What processor driver do you have installed? Do you have the right HAL installed?

Back