Hundreds of EMAILS being sent

Confederate

Limp Gawd
Ok a buddy of mine has this problem ,He has windows xp and somebody i think is using his pc to sent hundreds of emails how do i help him and stop the Culprit??? :confused:

Either a virus of some sort, or that pc is becomming a zombie. Run an anti-virus, and some sypware software. Not sure about how you would stop it though.

well ive researched alittle and found out its a zombie attack, using pcs to host spam ,ill have to see if he has a firewall setup. but i had him run microsoft defender and he said it didnt help but did find a worm virus or trojan ..does anyone have a good program i should use to fix it then have a firewall setup, He is going straight from a modem to 1 pc .No router or other pcs

I'd change the Administrator password (it is probably <blank> anyways...a major no-no)
Then..get a quality antivirus scanner...such as NOD32, Kapersky, or BitDefender..run a scan. I'd also get a few second opinions..at some free online scan sites, such as Trendmicro.coms Housecall

Download, update, scan (in safe mode), and remove what they find......
Spybot Search and Destroy
Lavasoft Adaware
Ewido

Perhaps since you've very suspicous...go for a software firewall for a bit to monitor...such as Comodo (it's free)

All windows updates hopefully (should do this anyways)

Is this PC behind a firewall of any sort?

I used to love Microsofts Antispyware back when they first got it from Giant...but since they changed it..to Defender..not so impressed with it anymore.

Back