Humor me. Quote me a 1 or 10gigabit fiber optics network for 2 clients&1 "switch".

JediFonger

2[H]4U
meaning:

1. a "switch" (from the copper-world) equivalent that can connect 4 clients with fiber "nic". how much?
2. two "nic" for 2 PC's with PCIe or PCI-X.
3. how much for all the fiber optics wiring?

we all know what copper version costs, how about fiber versions?

guestimate:
$500. 4port fiber "switch" for 1gigabit and $1,000 for 4port 10gigabit.
$200 ea./nic PCIe or PXI-X version.
$3/foot for fiber?

a 4 port 10gigabit switch? I don't believe any exist. If they did, to get 4 ports on them you'd be looking at a min of 10k. Next the nics....there aren't alot of companies that make 10gig nics for pc's, chernobol(sp?) makes them but they aren't very good and have big issues. 10gig connections are ment for uplinks and routers, most PC's even if they have a 10gig functioning card won't be able to push that kind of traffic....just not possible.

One has to ask.....what could you possibly be doing in that you'd need a 10gig link.

Heh, 10GigE has more bandwidth than PC-133(Real world).

the question isn't usage (although HD editing and raid arrays of SAS, SATA, SCSI can easily saturate those bandwidths), the question is technical possibilities and market availability. as DIY'ers, we're always looking for the "next level" for bragging rights. with 3007 high res LCD's, 2407's, and multicore CPU/GPU's, i think one of the "next levels" is in network realm.

a raid0 of 10k rpm drives can write pretty fast (50-100mb/s depending on how many HD's). i believe that can saturate a 1gigabit connection easily. i mean just copying/moving 4.xGB DVD-R's take too long!!! i want it just as fast as my hard drive copying DVD's onto itself.

i'm not talking about a connection to the internet, just internal network in general. 1gigabit isn't good 'nuff for me.

[H]exx said:
Really though...what would you do with that bandwidth???? Like it was said before PC-133 isnt even that fast...your computer would cry....AND you would probably never use that bandwidth with just one system....nor would you have a file big enough to keep it at full load long enough to matter.
Here's a hint: networks can have more than one computer connected to them.

[H]exx said:
Really though...what would you do with that bandwidth?

Random thought - may or not apply.

Second Matrix movie - they hacked a couple of high end Sony digital cams to output the raw video feed instead of converting it to a compressed file to save on the SD card (or whatever the media was). They were pushing out insane amounts of data doing the base modeling of Keanu Reeves and Hugo Weaving for the Burly Brawl.

*decided to look for the article that mentions this*

Found it:
The massive datastreams from these cameras - one gigabyte a second - were treated like holy water; even the cameras' color-correction software was disabled to prevent any loss of data. Instead of recording to tape, which requires compression, the cameras were modified to send uncompressed data to a bank of high-end PCs that stored it on a huge disk array. "The scene in that room was surreal," Gaeta recalls. "There's this guy onstage, and his face is surrounded with this fucking Cape Canaa-averal backup system."
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.05/matrix2_pr.html

So yeah, since that was 3 years ago I can imagine someone needing a 10gig switch today.

i get into HD editing. right now it's just HDV, which is just extending MPEG2 spex from DV very far, but once i try to play around with SDI-out, we're talking 125-200+MB/s. thus, 1minute=12,000MB/s and let's not imagine 1 hour's worth. this is all just raw 1080p footage without compression and before applying fx and possibly 7.1 24/96 soundtrack.

that's where i'm headed towards, but i'd like to build the "backbone" now.

that's years down the road, but as of right now. i can't transfer a 4.xGB of DVD-R across my 2 PC's @1gigabit network as fast as when make a copy of it on my PC. ultimately i'd like to achieve that speed.

JediFonger said:
but once i try to play around with SDI-out, we're talking 125-200+MB/s. thus, 1minute=12,000MB/s and let's not imagine 1 hour's worth.

How do you get 12gigabytes/second from 200megabytes/second?

Now, had you said 1minute = 12gigabytes, then yeah, but that is irrelevant.

Lets say you could actually do this: that would mean you need an array to write 200megabytes/sec. That means, minimum, of six SATA drives in Raid0(overhead, plus minimum write speeds of around 40MB/sec), maybe more. Guessing you are looking at 300gigs or more, that gives you 1668gigs, divide that by 12 and you get 139 minutes of capture.

So, doable, yeah, easily. But, have you considered what you are really looking at? The maximum datarate for HD-SDI (1080P) is 3gigabits/sec. That's 375MB/sec. In order to capture that you need TEN or more drives in Raid0.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Digital_Interface#Bitrates

The only 10G items I have priced recently are 1 and 2 port modules that plug into higher end managed switches. I know that some companies do offer really high end multi 10G port switches but they will cost quite a bit of money and is likely much, much, much, more than you would be willing to spend. To give you an idea of pricing, a 24-port 3com gigabit switch, 2 port 10G module, and fiber transceivers will cost around $16k list price. Then you would need 2 fiber 10g PCIE or PCI-X cards, if they are even available right now. Those would run you at least 1k a piece so now you are up to 18k at that's just 2 computers.

$800 each for cheapest 10GB nics.
$4,400 for a 6 port 10GB switch.
$70/meter for cable.

thx for the heads up. obviously 10G network isn't affordable yet. :(. i'm one sad panda.

a followup question would be 1gb all fibre be faster or slower than 1gb all copper network?

dew. simple math. that was a typo. should be 1min. as for the array options you're talking about, that's doable using either SATA, SAD or SCSI.

JediFonger said:
a followup question would be 1gb all fibre be faster or slower than 1gb all copper network?

What weighs more - a pound of feathers, or a pound of bricks?

Fint said:

Damn you Fint, I read the question and was all ready to jump in with the feathers/bricks line.
:)

I wouldn't worry about 10Gbit Ethernet for a while. It's use will be servers that need a ton of bandwidth for a few more years. Most people don't even push 1Gbit enet yet, which can push 125MB/s each way at the same time in theory. I'm sure you can mux a couple of them together for even greater bandwidth if you have the hard drive system to actually use it.

Give it a few years, when 10Gbit will have a copper standard(with a shorter length than 100m, I've read 40m is the target for Cat7), and hard drive speeds catch up. I doubt it will be mainstream for at least 5 years, and possibly more. There simply isn't anything that can effectivly use that transfer speed currently with hard drive read/write speeds where they are currently.

take home cinema for example. given the avg. size of a room (13-20' x 16-30'), 30-40w can easily satisfy all levels of volume requirements for the consumer. but a lot of home theatre enthusiasts have 100w or 500 or 1,000w. is it neccessary? no. bragging rights? absolutely.

same with lots of people's PSU's. on my older Abit AN7, i don't need 510SLI. do i need it? nope. do i have it? yes. why? always get more power than you need.

Fint said:

Back