Humble Monthly Bundle - September 2017 - Review And Discussion Thread

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
It's that time again, the next Humble Monthly Bundle has arrived! For those unaware of Humble Monthly Bundles, please see my more in-depth introduction here during my first thread from April 2017 - https://hardforum.com/threads/humble-monthly-april-review-and-discussion-thread.1929347 - I'll just get right into it again!

September Humble Monthly Titles

The Banner Saga 2 ($20, Win/Mac ) - Much like its predecessor, The Banner Saga 2 is a story-based RPG with strategic combat and a beautiful hand-animated aesthetic. Inspired by Scandinavian mythology, The Banner Saga 2 continues the story of the first title: if you played the original The Banner Saga you can import your save to ensure story continuity, but if you did not you can also start the game deciding a handful of plot points to give you a starting point. Much like the Mass Effect series, I read that you get the most in depth continuity by actually playing the first game, whereas the new-start retroactive choices are only on the main plot points. The Banner Saga 2 borrows both from Western and Eastern RPGs and includes such features as perma-death for various characters and the ability to make choices that change enemies to friends if you make the right moves, talk to the right people etc..., so thinking before you move and saving often is important. Post launch updates have granted new modes and content, but there doesn't seem to be paid DLC. Alas unlike its predecessor it does not have a Linux client as of yet, but there is a push for a port to be added soon. Its noteworthy that the indie developer behind the series is crowdfunding The Banner Saga 3, so we can expect the saves from 2 to be imported. A solid entry to this month's bundle for fans of tactical RPGs!

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight ($10, Windows) - The fourth in the long-running Momodora series from Japanese indie developer Bombservice, Reverie Under the Moonlight is actually prequel to them all and tells the tale of a shrine maiden/priestess to save the land from total destruction. Using well animated 2D pixel graphics, it could most lilkely be described as a "Metroidvania", but touches on many other genres from RPG, to shmup/bullet hell to action platformers and even the modern "souls-like" descriptor. Definitely a bright spot this month for fans of the genre and very well reviewed by professionals and players alike.

Killing Floor 2 ($30, Windows) - Though titled as a sequel, Killing Floor 2 is more of an enhanced remake of its predecessor, a very popular co-op zombie FPS. KF2 takes place in the UK after biotech company Horizon accidentally release "Zeds" as bioweapons, ranging from the standard lumbering "clot" to invisible "stalkers" and the titanic "fleshpound". Players work together in rounds, clearing all of the zeds through a wide variety of weaponry that must (aside from starter gear) be purchased in between each round from the vendor that spawns. These weapons, as well as tools and special skills and abilities are balanced for co-op use and to play into the well-crafted "perk" class system. Picking a class grants passive bonuses to certain abilities (ie Support welding doors faster, Sharpshooter doing more headshot damage) as well as costs of weapons favored by each perk. All of this encourages cooperative play with various perks working together, Medics healing everyone with their med-tech dart enhanced weapons, Commandos using their assault rifles to take down hordes of weaker zeds, while Supports use their shotguns against heavy targets and pass out extra ammo etc. Successful play grants XP allowing each Perk to level up, granting new special bonuses and abilities which a choice every 5 levels or so. This is saved globally/account wide and XP is accrued on any "ranked" servers. I should mention that there is also a "versus" mode allowing players to inhabit the bodies of the heartier "special" zeds, as well. There is a wide modding community and dedicated servers available, but another major focus is on character customization. Along with various player avatars, there are tons of collectable cosmetics that customize both their appearance and the appearance of weaponry. Awarding these use the Valve-style "Crate + Key" style mechanic, where as you may be awarded a "crate" of cosmetics, but will need to buy or trade for a key to unlock it. Of course, some cosmetics can also drop directly after rounds of play without the need for crates. Like CS:GO / TF2 etc... there is an integrated market where players can buy/sell/trade keys/crates, as well as directly buy certain items. DLC-wise there is very little save for a Deluxe edition upgrade ($10) which unlocks some notable cosmetics, but there are many free updates and special events with each content patch and KF2 is still progressing and supported at a steady rate. I can hope Linux/Mac support will come in time, as it did for the first Killing Floor game. Killing Floor offers many rounds of co-op zed-killing fun and if this is your interest, then it is a strong asset this month.

Worms W.M.D ($30, Win/Mac/Linux) - The newest version of the long, long, long running physics-powered, turn-based tactical shooter starring the titular Worms, W.M.D has a ton of new features that look to revitalize the series. Crafting, enterable buildings, mounted weapons, various hats, vehicles, and even fortresses have all been added to the classic format. Also on display are a wealth of options for play from solo training and campaign missions, to co-op and competitive modes both over the Internet and local multiplayer, all rendered in humorous animated aesthetics. This is the kind of game that allows you to take your turn to fire a very surprised sheep in a graceful arc over the map, falling right on an enemy's bunker before detonating into a massive explosion! I'm curious to see how all these new features will change the classic formula of gameplay. Its worth it to note that there is Steam Workshop support now, but no paid DLC. However, even a year after launch there seems to frequent updates with new content including maps, missions and features - good on the devs forsupporting the product!

Stories Untold ($10, Windows) - For those who want a less combat centric title this month comes this independent project from a Scottish studio (who's key devs include those working on Alien: Isolation - so be ready for some tension!) described as an "anthology of visual storytelling". Containing 4 episodes (plus a bonus one added later as free DLC), that combine text, point-and-click, puzzle, and other forms of adventure gameplay , Stories Untold seems inspired by Myst, 7th Guest, and older titles as well as newer inventive games like Event[0]. Claiming elements of mystery, to sci-fi, to horror, and with a nod to 80s nostalgia, there isn't a lot of other info on the linked narratives of Stories Unknown, but I suspect that is to preserve the experience. Oh and because someone asked, no - I do not believe this is a "walking simulator".

Hacky Zack ($10, Windows) - A colorful indie puzzle platformer, Hacky Zack looks simple, but perhaps looks are deceiving!. The titular Zack has to hacky-sack/juggle various balls as he progresses through the level as the chief mechanic, using them to solve the puzzles that impede progress. Sounds simple but we know from Slime-San (truly excellent and a former Humble Monthly title) and Super Meat Boy that a simple goal doesn't mean an easy time! It advertises over 100 levels, especial collectibles to extend your play, and 8 characters to unlock; I'm curious if they each play differently. This seems like the kind of title that most wouldn't go out of their way to pick up, but perhaps that's the magic of Humble Monthly dropping it in your lap. Will it be inspired, a dud, or meh? Will you give it a play?

Eterium ($5, Windows) - If you're excited about the resurgence of space games such as Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous, take a look at this indie throwback to the 90s! Inspired by Xwing and Wing Commander, Eterium is a single player, story based 3D space combat sim where the player is defending the Earth Alliance from an alien threat! Blending classic cockpit graphics with anime-inspired NPCs, Eterium places you into a variety of ships all with differing visual cockpits that will look very nostalgic to those who enjoyed the golden age of space combat sims. It does have some modern touches, like procedural generation for some missions/parameters and full Xbox/XInput controller support. I wonder if the advertised minefield is just as frustrating as the one I remember from Xwing....

Volantia: Kingdom in the Sky ($??, Win/Mac, Humble Original) - This month's Original has the player managing a floating kingdom. Hexes of land must be connected to provide resources, keeping the kingdom floating and thriving instead of breaking apart and falling to its doom. Scouting for new chunks of land, optimizing, and balancing this "green punk" kingdom gives some depth to the mechanics. Like most Originals, this is an experimental indie title, but I've seen some great products come out of Originals before (ie Gunmetal Arcadia Zero ) so I am curious to see how it plays and if it will eventually be released onto Steam for a larger market. A nice little bonus.

October Early Access Title

Rise of the Tomb Raider ($30-60, Windows ) - The second and latest in the "modern" Tomb Raider series since 2013's "Tomb Raider" rebooted things to great acclaim, Rise goes even further and expands the dynamic in just about every way. From single player survival adventure with a heavy reliance on story, to co-op and competitive online play, Rise of the Tomb Raider gives lots of options in modes as well as mechanics. Like "TR 2013" it brings in collectibles, missions, and other features, as well as a multitude of new adventure aspects the go far beyond the old Playstation era jumping, shooting, and mazes. Right now on Steam the game is sold as the "20 year celebration" edition which is $60 and includes the considerably content heavy Season Pass. I am unsure if Humble Monthly subscribers will be getting this version or if they'll be getting the "base" game, but even if they do they will have the option to stepup to the complete edition for $30 max by buying the Season Pass. In the event it isn't included, I hope Humble negotiates a discount on the Season pass sold on the Humble Store, as they did for titles in the past like XCOM2. Rise of the Tomb Raider is often treated as one of the most inspired elements of the series, so if you enjoy the genre at all this archeological adventure will make the October Monthly Bundle well worth its price of admission!

Don't forget that aside from each month's games, you also are granted a global 10% discount (that even stacks with other discounts!) in the Humble Store , access to the Humble Trove of downloadable titles, and extras like discount coupons! If you enjoyed any of this and wish to subscribe, feel free to use my referral link https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly?refc=02L8o8 ! Enjoy!

Back