Humble Monthly Bundle - October 2017 - Review and Discussion Thread

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
It's that time again, the next Humble Monthly Bundle has arrived! For those unaware of Humble Monthly Bundles, please see my more in-depth introduction here during my first thread from April 2017 - https://hardforum.com/threads/humble-monthly-april-review-and-discussion-thread.1929347 - I'll just get right into it again!

For those interested, here are all my back Humble Monthly reviews

May - https://hardforum.com/threads/humble-monthly-bundle-may-review-and-discussion-thread.1931795/
June - (Missed writing one)
July - https://hardforum.com/threads/humble-monthly-bundle-july-2017-review-and-discussion-thread.1939318/
August - https://hardforum.com/threads/humbl...st-2017-review-and-discussion-thread.1941294/
September - https://hardforum.com/threads/humbl...er-2017-review-and-discussion-thread.1943055/

October Humble Monthly Titles

Wargame: Red Dragon ($30, Win/Mac/Linux) - I've been meaning to check out this RTS series, of which Red Dragon is the latest. Set in a near-realistic world where a conflict between Capitalist and Communist bloc nations rages, with around 90's era technology. Realistic units from up to 17 nations (without expansions) are included and encompass total war on land, sea and air. Battles occur in RTS formats, but there is also a significant strategic map where you decide which units you're sending to which locations etc... that will govern where battles occurr and who will be fighting, as well as a "setup deployment" of sorts phase before the battle begins. Thus, this title straddles grand/turn-based/RISK-type strategy and more active RTS. There are many modes available including a lengthy single player experience including "dynamic campaigns" and online multiplayer which claims to be able to host 20 players simultaneously. I'm interested to see if a campaign can be played "co-op" style, but I know multiplayer matches can be set up with one or more players versus the computer etc. Linux support is welcome as well There is a little DLC available, both paid and free. The free DLCs are considerable offering new nations and units, as well as full campaigns such as the "Second Korean War! Paid DLCs include those to bring in the Netherlands and Israel to the roster, fully fleshed out for $6 each and Double Nation Pack: REDS for $10 which grants Yugoslavia and Finland! Especially on sale, picking them all up will likely be affordable and provide new options and playstyles. Wargame: Red Dragon seems to have a bevy of content and is well reviewed on Steam and elsewhere. As is the case with many RTS, despite its age there is a solid following so you'll likely find others to play with...bolstered by its Humble Monthly inclusion I am sure!

Furi ($20, Windows) - One of this month's highlights, Furi is an indie game designed around the principle of "do few things, but do them well!"; very positive reviews abound are evidence of success in this endeavor! Furi is a cell-shaded sci-fi tale of an imprisoned swordsman and his adventure breaking out of captivity told near exclusively through "Boss Fights". Each level is comprised of a singular antagonist in an "arena" of sorts, who has a variety of attack patterns. You will need your laser sword, pistol and agility to shoot, dodge, parry, and slash your way to victory. Each fight has multiple phases including at least one that is more "long distance" where the enemy attacks in "bullet hell" style,. and "sword-only duel" styles where split second parries, dodges, and counter attacks are your only way to survive. There is significant variation between each boss with their mechanics and aesthetics alike, which play into the story told in a minimalist sense with a bit of "Japanese weirdness" thrown in as well. The soundtrack is notable for its electronic beats crafted by (i'm told) genre luminaries and how they mirror and add to each battle; aficionados can purchase it digitally or even on vinyl! Some battles may be controller-throwingly "Nintendo hard" and others may be less taxing - which in particular vary from player to player, with the exception of the final boss(es) which requires mastery of what you've learned all along. For DLC at the moment there is a single $4 item titled "One More Fight" and that's what it is - a new boss, accessible from the main menu...but there is also a cryptic description that there may be even more included! I hope the devs create more DLC - I'd certainly pay for an expansion of similar length to the original title. They are also open to Mac and Linux support, as the game is built on Unity, but it hasn't arrived as of yet. If you enjoy the satisfaction of a bullet dodging, sword swinging boss fight from Mega Man to Dark Souls, Furi will be to your liking!

Rise of the Tomb Raider ($30-60, Windows ) - The second and latest in the "modern" Tomb Raider series since 2013's "Tomb Raider" rebooted things to great acclaim, Rise goes even further and expands the dynamic in just about every way. From single player survival adventure with a heavy reliance on story, to co-op and competitive online play, Rise of the Tomb Raider gives lots of options in modes as well as mechanics. Like "TR 2013" it brings in collectibles, missions, and other features, as well as a multitude of new adventure aspects the go far beyond the old Playstation era jumping, shooting, and mazes. Right now on Steam the game is sold as the "20 year celebration" edition which is $60 and includes the considerably content heavy Season Pass. I am unsure if Humble Monthly subscribers will be getting this version or if they'll be getting the "base" game, but even if they do they will have the option to stepup to the complete edition for $30 max by buying the Season Pass. In the event it isn't included, I hope Humble negotiates a discount on the Season pass sold on the Humble Store, as they did for titles in the past like XCOM2. Rise of the Tomb Raider is often treated as one of the most inspired elements of the series, so if you enjoy the genre at all this archeological adventure will make the October Monthly Bundle well worth its price of admission!

Orwell: Keeping an Eye On You ($10, Win/Mac/Linux) - Out of the same vein as "Papers, Please" and "Beholder" comes investigative thriller, Orwell. As the name portends you are an agent with a "totally not the NSA" style agency tasked with utilizing a digital surveillance network of unparalleled scope and depth (not to mention few if any real checks to your, or its power) to investigate a terror attack. You have the latitude to delve int anyone's information you choose, from their social networks, , emails and phone calls, to their historical location via biometrics, and even medical records! It is up to you to decide what/where/who to investigate and what to do with the info you find, which will lead to different outcomes and consequences; it is unclear from the descriptionif there are multiple "real" (non-failure condition) endings, but I'll look into this a bit as it seems likely. Clearly the game has a message or at least wants the player to think about the role of pervasive surveillance and digital privacy, so I will be eager to see how open ended things may be in terms of gameplay and ending. There is already a second "Season" in the works that will tell another perspective, with the player as a different Orwell user. Very interesting and perhaps a way to get people to think about current events and privacy from different perspective, if done well.

Seasons After Fall ($15, Windows) - An indie puzzle-platformer with a nature theme, Seasons After Fall puts the player in the role of a fox-like creature investigating what is happening to its forest home. With a hand-painted aesthetic, the title makes the titular seasons a major mechanic with the ability to change them at will, thereby changing the environment. Too much brush in the way? Change to Winter and watch all the leaves drop off. Need to raise the water level of a pond? Switch to Spring and watch it rain etc. It isn't quite a Metroidvania from what I read, but you also need to seek out the Guardians of the forest (one of them a bear another an eel etc) and gain their powers as well as find out their role in the story. If you're looking for some platforming action or a Metroidvania-lite with a charming atmosphere Seasons After Fall may be for you!

Scanner Sombre ($10, Win/Mac/Linux) - Trapped in a cave in total darkness, Scanner Sombre's design, aesthetic, and functional mechanic hinges upon your sole lifeline in the pitch blackness - a handheld LIDAR scanner and helmet display. Equipped, your view is populated with the data from the scanner, rendered in a rainbow of colors against the dark. Some may call it atmospheric horror and others may consider it a "walking simulator", (especially as the devs cited it as inspired by Dear Ester and Gone Home), but you will investigate the mystery of your surroundings, explore, and watch the story unfold, hopefully making it out alive. This doesn't seem the kind of title for those who wish combat, nor is it like the more "pure" horror driven experiences of the Amnesia series, but its theme and hook could have potential if executed well. Oh, the Linux version is currently in beta so you'll need to enable it / opt-in via Steam once you've installed.

The Shrouded Isle ($10, Win/Mac )
- A perfect Halloween season game! The Shrouded Isle is steeped on Lovecraftian mythos, positioning the player as a leader of a settlement on the titular Isle. As the head of a cult in service to eldrich horrors from beyond, you must manage the settlers with the help of representatives from 5 prominent families, each with their own quirks, strengths, and weaknesses. In preparing for the awakening of the dark lord, you need to deal with the backstabbing and social climbing within your lieutenants, guide the settlement and common folk away from heresies , and be sure to keep all the cult-y business like human sacrifice on schedule. For this "cult simulator" the graphics are suitably 1700-1800s gothic and Lovecraftian, with everything rendered in shades of two contrasting colors in an etched style of sorts. Tis the season!

Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy ($??, Windows, Humble Original) - I'm just going to copy verbatim the developer's description of the title first of all.... " Why did I make this? This horrible hike up an impossible mountain. I could have made something you would have liked. A game that was empowering, that would save your progress and inch you steadily forward. Since success is delicious, that would have been wise. Instead, I must confess: This isn't nice. It tastes of bitterness. It's capricious, it sets setbacks for the ambitious. It lacks lenience; It's bracing, and inhumane, but not everyone's the same. I created this game . For a certain kind of person .To hurt them . " So yeah.. you play a man sunk to his waist in a cauldron with an axe in hand that he must use to pull himself over various terrain. It appears to be physics platform puzzler mixed with a clearly "artsy" them. I am guessing by that description it is intentionally difficult with few if any save points. Hm. Sure its weird, but I guess that's why it is an Original

November Early Access Titles

Next month offers a 3 starter/item packs for various titles with item shops.

Quake Champions - Instant Game Access, 50 Shards , 100 Platinum , 2000 Favor , Ranger Champion, BJ Champion

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
- Game itself, 750 Crowns, 15 Days of ESO Plus, Vanity Pet: Bristlegut Pig

The Elder Scrolls: Legends - 2 Card Pack (Skyrim), 1 Event Ticket, 100 Gold ,100 Soul Gems

Nice bonuses for those who play such titles, I suppose.

Don't forget that aside from each month's games, you also are granted a global 10% discount (that even stacks with other discounts!) in the Humble Store , access to the Humble Trove of downloadable titles, and extras like discount coupons! If you enjoyed any of this and wish to subscribe, feel free to use my referral link https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly?refc=02L8o8 ! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back