HT Omega

oliveash

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
82
It's been a very long time since I've purchased a sound card. I long ago gave up on Creative for Turtle Beach (the last card I bought). I find myself starting to consider an offboard card, but having ignored this part of the computer for so long has left me somewhat confused.

Anyway, in browsing Newegg for sound cards, I came across a surprisingly well-reviewed (by users) group of cards from a company called HT Omega. I've never heard of them. I've never seen a review of their products (though I admit a rather lazy effort at finding one). Browsing this subforum casually didn't help too much either.

The one I'm considering, the Striker, seems to be a pretty solid midrange board. My question to you is do you have any experience with HT Omega products, and if so how'd it go?

My intention for the sound card is for gaming primarily, though a fair amount of music listening and movie playing is undoubtedly in its future. There's a good chance for light audio recording/editing and Reason work too - definitely not enough to warrant a high-end solution. If you have any other suggestions, I'd warmly welcome the advice.

Thanks. And yes, this is my first post (though I've lurked anonymously for a while). Be gentle with the newbie hazing.
 
Omega striker is a great all around card for anyone.

I have an xplosion by auzen and they are all but identical.
 
If you are going for pure gaming, the Xtreme Gamer X-Fi will be the best budget card for you. It also sounds decent for music.

Otherwise, the Striker is a great purchase as well.
 
I use an external receiver to decode so I use the spdif out only, and the striker is awesome, I think it has very good drivers. I can spdif passthrough using ffdshow for dvd so that I get original bit perfect output to receiver and in gaming it's using the dts to encode 5.1 signals to output.
The only thing I could not have it "automatically" do is use only 2 channel when I play an mp3, I have to manually change it to 2 channel from the tray icon if I only want 2 channel output pcm.

You will not regret going with the striker, it's cheap too. Like the above posters said, you could get better cards for gaming but I think they do cost quit a bit more.
 
Get the striker, it has done everything I could ever ask with it with better sound quality than creatives garbage. The drivers work and are small.
 
Omega striker is a great all around card for anyone.

I have an xplosion by auzen and they are all but identical.

Identical as in same design or same physical part with different branding?

If you are going for pure gaming, the Xtreme Gamer X-Fi will be the best budget card for you. It also sounds decent for music.

Otherwise, the Striker is a great purchase as well.

While gaming is certainly a focal point of my use; other media is significant enough to warrant considering a card for more than just its gaming prowess. Not to mention I had enough bad experiences with Creative to never go back.

Get the striker, it has done everything I could ever ask with it with better sound quality than creatives garbage. The drivers work and are small.

Is there a significant detriment to gameplay without Creative's EAX junk?
 
IMHO, EAX gives the full effect of surround in gaming. Thus, EAX = Environment Blah Blah.
 
How many games really use that anymore tho? I'd like to see how audio positioning and quality compares on the Omega, Auzentech, Asus, and Creative cards in popular multiplayer shooters like COD4 and L4D.
 
EAX to me just sounds like a ton of reverb so I never found it to be needed or anything compared to aureals stuff. I find the ht omega's stuff to be great for gaming still imo.
 
Back
Top