HP NC364T Quad Gigabit Ethernet PCI-e 4x Card questions

GreatOcean

n00b
Dear everyone,

I have aquired 3 NIC's, HP NC364T, Intel PRO/1000 PT Low profile gigabit cards.

They are inserted into three different servers (home use - general hardware) and are connected to a Netgear GS724T-300 V3 switch.

One of the cards are showing odd behaviour in ESXI, 2 ports are going down very quickly, both ports are not on the same controller on the NIC.

The NIC in question is inserted into an ASRock Z77 Pro4 motherboard. Other equipment inserted into the motherboard is (top to bottom)

Onboard NIC on ASrock Z77 Pro4 is enabled
All USB ports etc is enabled.
Onboard graphics is used.

Intel PCI-e 1x CT Adapter in x1 slot (physical x1 port, x1 speed) - usage: x1 PCI-e lane
IBM M1015 flashed in IT-mode (works perfectly) - it's inserted into the PCI-e x16 (3.0 slot) - usage x8 PCI-e lanes (or is the x16 port default on x16, not lowering?)
HP NC364T in physical x16 port (x4) (should use x4 pci-lanes)
Intel PCI GT Adapter in PCI slot 2 (and also tested 3 -same behavior)

My initial questions is:
1. How can I tell if I am having the latest firmware for these cards, if there is an issue there. I have found the information how to update, but not sure where to check for latest firmware and where to download it?
2. ASRock documentation is poor about the PCI-e lanes. Am I using up the PCI-e lanes by using both the x1 and the second physical x16 (x4 speed)? Is the second x16 port defaulting back to x1 speed aswell, resulting in the HP NC364T NIC dropping 2 ports?

EDIT:
Seems like Port C and D are the culprits. Moving the card around to different computers shows the same behaviour.
Now after reboot, the boot rom for port C and D no longer shows up either.
Moving the card to a Win8 machine, find the card but only 2 ports aswell.
All things points to the card being NOK, any chance the NVRAM on it is somehow bricked and can be repaired?
Card was bought on E-bay and is probably not covered by warranty.
Suggestions?

/GreatOcean

Last edited:
Back