HP laser takes 15 minutes/page but Canon inkjet less than 1 minute/page

x509

2[H]4U
I have an HP 2055dn laser printer connected directly to my LAN, set up with the Postscript driver. To improve performance, I added the optional 128MB of printer RAM.

My system is an i3 with 4 GB RAM, running Win 7 Pro 64 bit. I am trying to print PDFs that were created by scanning printed pages. On my Laserjet, even a small doc is not downloaded all at once to the printer. The doc seems to be downloaded one page at a time, usually several hundred KB a page, even though I have over 128 MB of printer RAM.

Why does printing take 15 minutes a page on a high speed laser printer and less than 1 minute a page on a relatively slow inkjet printer? Is this a printer config issue, a network issue, or an Adobe Acrobat issue?

Under your printer driver properties "Advanced" tab, check to see how/if it is spooling.

Check your postscript drivers to make sure they are the right ones. Try the PCL drivers.

Hmm, why didn't I think of that first. :( It's midnight right now, so I'll try that tomorrow.

Can I ask you how you found this page? I did any number of searches and didn't find this link.

What's odd is that the problem only seems to occur with PDFs. For orderinary text, web pages, or MS Word or MS Excel, this printer is a real champ. Much better than the POS Samsung printer I had before this one, which kept on needing repairs. ( = $$$) :mad:

Under your printer driver properties "Advanced" tab, check to see how/if it is spooling.

Check your postscript drivers to make sure they are the right ones. Try the PCL drivers.

I used the "universal" drivers which I downloaded from the website only a few weeks ago.

Previously I had used PCL drivers, same thing.

Is it the same with all pdfs, or just 'vector' ones (i.e. can you select text in them), and are you printing these pdf's with the Adobe reader?

Try checking the 'Print as image' in the advanced section of the print dialogue. It shifts the heavy lifting to the PC. No idea why only your laser would struggle while the inkjet doesn't, could be the laser drivers leave more work to the printer.

I have to use that option at work sometimes to print large vector pdf's (A1 engineering drawings reduced to A3) or the printer has a breakdown.

(If it does work, I've no idea how to set it as default, but hopefully its a good starting point.)

We have this issue every so often in my office.

It has to do with the handling of Postscript jobs.

Basically due to how .pdf and other such files compress themselves when they spool out to the printer they will increase in size to 10 megs or more per page, I have seen some that jump up to 100 meg per page.

While you might have 128 MB of RAM, PS drivers will only recognize maybe 16 of that, IIRC. From what I have seen there is no way to fix that.

We have printers here with 512 MB of RAM, and they still choke on certain .pdf files.

Its an HP driver issue I think.

The issue happens so infrequently here that it's not much of an issue.

Let me see if I have some emails with HP about this.

Funny enough we just had this issue pop up last week.

Here is the last email I got. I can post ss when I get home if you need them.

Since the issues is only related to certain PDF files and it does not extend to the rest of file formats, we need to gathered the following information regarding Adobe softwere (if any) used to create the PDF files causing the slow printing:

o Adobe Acrobat version? (Depending on version needs to be either upgrade or downgrade)
o If original file created in MS Word: which version of MS Word used and method to convert to PDF
o If original file is a scanned file then saved as PDF: which software is used to scan and scanner model (if applicable)

Also, find attached a PDF file we have created for your model available online here. Please proceed to print this file before making any of the changes proposed below in order to test printing speed.

Here are some testing steps provided to fix issue related with PDF slow printing on HP Color LaserJet CP4525XH Printer:

• On Driver preferences for PCL driver:
 Under Advanced tab  Change Raster Compresion to Maximun Compression
 Under Advanced tab  Change Print Optimization to Enabled
 Under Advanced tab  Change Send True Type as Bitmap to Enabled

• On Printer Preferences for PS driver:
 Under Advanced tab  Change PostScript Output Option to Optimize for Speed
 Under Advanced tab  Change TrueType Font Download Option to Automatic

• On Printer Properties on PS driver:
 Under Device Settings tab  Change Mopier Mode to Disabled
 Under Device Settings tab  Change PostScript Passthorugh to Disabled

• On Printer Properties either PCL or PS driver:
 Under Advanced tab  Select Print directly to printer in order to bypass Print Spooler (Windows Service)

Please reply back with results in order to document your case accordingly

Regards

I've had weird issues like that with both HP and Xerox machines. It has always ended up being a driver issue.

Try a different driver.

Try clearing out the print spooler in windows. (different ways of doing this depending on the version of Windows) Not just making sure that the printer shows no pending documents in the queue.

How do you have the TCPI/IP port setup on the driver in Windows? May need to change to LPR mode.

Are you spooling or "printing directly to printer" If spooling, is it set to "start priniting immediately" or "wait until entire document is spooled"?

Lots of different stuff to try. Could be a singler thing or a combination of two or more things that fixes it.

Wow, I just opened up this thread and three useful replies. That's why I just love [H]. Let me thank you guys and say that I try to contribute as much as I can in different areas. I'll reply to each of the three new messages after this one.

We have this issue every so often in my office.

It has to do with the handling of Postscript jobs.

Basically due to how .pdf and other such files compress themselves when they spool out to the printer they will increase in size to 10 megs or more per page, I have seen some that jump up to 100 meg per page.
Wow. I thought that PS was preferable to PCL because it was "more efficient" in communicating a document to the printer.

While you might have 128 MB of RAM, PS drivers will only recognize maybe 16 of that, IIRC. From what I have seen there is no way to fix that.

That's a real bummer, considering that HP sells printers with a built-in memory upgrade slot. Do you know if the PCL drivers have the same stupid design issue.

We have printers here with 512 MB of RAM, and they still choke on certain .pdf files.

Its an HP driver issue I think.

The issue happens so infrequently here that it's not much of an issue.

Let me see if I have some emails with HP about this.

Funny enough we just had this issue pop up last week.

Here is the last email I got. I can post ss when I get home if you need them.

Since the issues is only related to certain PDF files and it does not extend to the rest of file formats, we need to gathered the following information regarding Adobe softwere (if any) used to create the PDF files causing the slow printing:

o Adobe Acrobat version? (Depending on version needs to be either upgrade or downgrade)
o If original file created in MS Word: which version of MS Word used and method to convert to PDF
o If original file is a scanned file then saved as PDF: which software is used to scan and scanner model (if applicable)

As far as I know, the problem exists only for PDFs that were created with a scanner. The original docs were either a Word doc or in some cases a fax, and I don't know if Acrobat or some other program was used to create the PDF. That's completely out of my control.

Also, find attached a PDF file we have created for your model available online here. Please proceed to print this file before making any of the changes proposed below in order to test printing speed.

Did you attach a PDF to this message. I didn't see any attachment. I'll PM you about the PDF.

Here are some testing steps provided to fix issue related with PDF slow printing on HP Color LaserJet CP4525XH Printer:

• On Driver preferences for PCL driver:
 Under Advanced tab  Change Raster Compresion to Maximun Compression
 Under Advanced tab  Change Print Optimization to Enabled
 Under Advanced tab  Change Send True Type as Bitmap to Enabled

• On Printer Preferences for PS driver:
 Under Advanced tab  Change PostScript Output Option to Optimize for Speed
 Under Advanced tab  Change TrueType Font Download Option to Automatic

• On Printer Properties on PS driver:
 Under Device Settings tab  Change Mopier Mode to Disabled
 Under Device Settings tab  Change PostScript Passthorugh to Disabled

• On Printer Properties either PCL or PS driver:
 Under Advanced tab  Select Print directly to printer in order to bypass Print Spooler (Windows Service)

Please reply back with results in order to document your case accordingly

Regards
Did these instructions come from HP? I'm going to guess that they would also apply to my printer because HP follows a "universal driver" strategy. However, before I try any of these changes, I am going to update the firmware, as Tawnos suggested yesterday.

I'll post results, and thanks again everyone.

I've had weird issues like that with both HP and Xerox machines. It has always ended up being a driver issue.

Try a different driver.

Try clearing out the print spooler in windows. (different ways of doing this depending on the version of Windows) Not just making sure that the printer shows no pending documents in the queue.

I will definitely try your suggestions after I do the printer firmware update.

How do you have the TCPI/IP port setup on the driver in Windows? May need to change to LPR mode.

Are you spooling or "printing directly to printer" If spooling, is it set to "start priniting immediately" or "wait until entire document is spooled"?

Lots of different stuff to try. Could be a singler thing or a combination of two or more things that fixes it.

I agree. There are actually two issues here. First off, it's that the printer needs 15 minutes a page just to print. Second, it's the "Error - sent to printer" message I get in the printer queue window for every one of these print jobs.

Microsoft apparently changed in Windows 7 how network printing is done. I use the Add Printer wizard, and instead of creating a standard TCP/IP port, it creates a "WSD" port, with a name that starts with WSD and include a very long string of letters, numbers, and dashes. Reminds of me of a network device MAC address. And there is no way to configure that port, unlike a standard TCP/IP port.

Are you suggesting that I should manually install the printer, by creating a TCP/IP port?

I've seen this occur with pdf printing using some HP pcl 6 drivers. If there is a pcl 5 driver try that. That has always resolved the problem in my case.

Here is that link I don't think I ever used it.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3965798

Yes, the instructions are from HP, I will note this really didn't solve the problem, but it did decrease print times.

Honestly, after we came to this resolution my boss and I discussed and we decided it wasn't really worth it to spend any additional time on it.

For the other comments, PostScript is just another way to send data to the printer, from my experience its slower than PCL, but you can get the fancy fonts I think. I am not a printer expert by any means.

From my experience the PCL drivers are not limited by the same factor, now this might not be a real limitation, this is just something that I observed with how the printer would handle the print jobs that were slow.

Yes, update the printer firmware for sure it was the first thing that we checked, followed by the drivers when I was troubleshooting with HP.

Always use a PCL5 driver if available. Use a PS or PS3 driver as last resort. It will create a much smaller job and get to your printer quicker. Sometimes the fonts aren't correct, and you have to use a postscript driver (maybe report was designed on a postscript driver?), then you just have to live with it.

First thing I would do is pause the print queue and send the job. Determine how long it actually takes the job to get into the print queue and look at the size.

Now send the job and see how long it takes to print.

This will tell you where your problem is -- either in the spooling of the document (print driver) or sending the document to the printer (printer speed, file size, etc) and you can go from there.

You might have a small PDF (~10MB), but when it spools it has to create an image that the printer can understand (except for fonts, *unless* you have configured the who job to print as an image, then that could be your problem!). I've seen small PDFs grow to hundreds of MB when they are spooled.

However -- that firmware updated sounds like a great start.

Guys,

I did the firmware update successfully, even though the README file said to set the RFU option on, through the printer control panel. With my old version of the firmware, there was no such option!

I still have the same problem. Print job goes to the printer, ready light blinks forever, and then nothing.

I'm out of time today, because I'm a consultant and need to do some billable work for clients. But tomorrow I'm going to review all the suggestions today and try to get a fix.

My desperation move is to try these print jobs on an inkjet printer that is directly attached to my wife's system. That driver has no such problem, although the cost per page is a lot higher.

I will definitely try your suggestions after I do the printer firmware update.

I agree. There are actually two issues here. First off, it's that the printer needs 15 minutes a page just to print. Second, it's the "Error - sent to printer" message I get in the printer queue window for every one of these print jobs.

Microsoft apparently changed in Windows 7 how network printing is done. I use the Add Printer wizard, and instead of creating a standard TCP/IP port, it creates a "WSD" port, with a name that starts with WSD and include a very long string of letters, numbers, and dashes. Reminds of me of a network device MAC address. And there is no way to configure that port, unlike a standard TCP/IP port.

Are you suggesting that I should manually install the printer, by creating a TCP/IP port?

Definitely make a TCP/IP port manually.

You should not have to re-install the printer. Just go to the ports tab and create a new port. You will want to set the TCP/IP settings on the printer to a static address first.

I haven't used the "WSD" port thing before and would not really trust it, but that part of it may be working fine.. just not configurable.

Definitely make a TCP/IP port manually.

You should not have to re-install the printer. Just go to the ports tab and create a new port. You will want to set the TCP/IP settings on the printer to a static address first.

I haven't used the "WSD" port thing before and would not really trust it, but that part of it may be working fine.. just not configurable.

OK. I'll try that, and then I'll follow the other suggestions in this thread. But I have to say, one of the comments in this thread really resonated with me. Something like, "It's just not worth the trouble to fix this issue."

As a consultant, I get paid only when I work on client projects. I work out of a home office, so I am "the IT guy" (actually for the whole family :D ) My wife had a good idea, which isn't scalable but would work here, because there are only a few pages that stubbornly refuse to print: She suggested that I take a screenshot of the non-printing pages and past that into a Word doc, full-scale, and then print the Word doc. I have never had any issues with printing Word docs (or PowerPoint), no matter how complex the graphics are.

Always use a PCL5 driver if available. Use a PS or PS3 driver as last resort.

I think that's a good tip with the smaller HP printers but on the larger ones and other brands such as Lexmark, Xerox, etc IMO the PS3 drivers work better.

Hmm, why didn't I think of that first. :( It's midnight right now, so I'll try that tomorrow.

Can I ask you how you found this page? I did any number of searches and didn't find this link.

What's odd is that the problem only seems to occur with PDFs. For orderinary text, web pages, or MS Word or MS Excel, this printer is a real champ. Much better than the POS Samsung printer I had before this one, which kept on needing repairs. ( = $$$) :mad:

Bing... http://www.bing.com/search?q=2055dn+slow+pdf+print&form=MOZSBR&pc=MOZI

There are a ton of results, all with different proposed solutions. I just chose the most obvious (the first link).

I'm the OP here, and I owe all you guys a brief update. I've been too busy last few days to futz around but I did one test that was very revealing.

In addition to my desktop I use a laptop (essential for any consultant). Both systems are running Win 7 64 Pro, both fully patched up, and both running with the same PS print driver using a WSD port. Both have Acrobat Pro 10 plus the latest ACrobat Reader 11 installed. (I probably need to verify all this, but I'm pretty sure about it.) I printed the last page of all the various scanned PDFs that had been giving me all this grief, and they all printed off right away. The jobs appeared and then disappeared in the printer queue just as if they were MS Word jobs.

The difference between the two systems. The desktop is an i3 with 4 GB of RAM (until I upgrade) but the laptop is an i5 with 16 GB of RAM. Can these differences explain the performance differences?

I probably need to run some more comparisons, but I think my short-term fallback is to use the laptop to print scanned PDFs.

When I have some time, I still want to do all the changes suggested here, notably switching to PCL drivers.

I'm the OP here, and I owe all you guys a brief update. I've been too busy last few days to futz around but I did one test that was very revealing.

In addition to my desktop I use a laptop (essential for any consultant). Both systems are running Win 7 64 Pro, both fully patched up, and both running with the same PS print driver using a WSD port. Both have Acrobat Pro 10 plus the latest ACrobat Reader 11 installed. (I probably need to verify all this, but I'm pretty sure about it.) I printed the last page of all the various scanned PDFs that had been giving me all this grief, and they all printed off right away. The jobs appeared and then disappeared in the printer queue just as if they were MS Word jobs.

The difference between the two systems. The desktop is an i3 with 4 GB of RAM (until I upgrade) but the laptop is an i5 with 16 GB of RAM. Can these differences explain the performance differences?

I probably need to run some more comparisons, but I think my short-term fallback is to use the laptop to print scanned PDFs.

When I have some time, I still want to do all the changes suggested here, notably switching to PCL drivers.

lol.
HP printers crack me up.

lol.
HP printers crack me up.

Guys,
I know this is an old thread, but I finally had (or was forced) to revisit this issue.

Upon closer examination, I noticed that my laptop had PCL drivers, not PS. And the laptop was printing these scanned PDFs much faster than the PS driver-based system.

So I was "forced" to re-examine this issue when my HP 2055 dn printer suddenly stopped working. I replaced it with an HP 401dn printer. First thing I did was to clean out all the old HP printers and drivers. Then I did some test installs on a scratch box that I keep around for this purpose. My intention was to test both PS and PCL 6 drivers.

The PCL 6 driver installed quickly. It prints those scanned PDFs very fast, no issues here. And unlike the PCL driver for the 2055dn, this driver supports automatic double-sided printing. Clear win here.

The PS driver would not even install. Got some weird error message about not finding a suitable driver. I should mention that the download site offers both "universal version" and 401dn-specific versions of each driver and I chose the 401dn specific versions because they were newer.

So with the new PCL 6 drivers, I no longer have an issue.

As a side note, I discovered that Windows 7 Administrative Tools cpl has a print management tool that makes it easy to completely remove printers and drivers.

Back