How to use two PC's and one set of speakers?

Kraco

n00b
I use a 2 computer with one monitor type setup which I really like but I only have it setup to use the speakers going to my main computer. What would I need to be able to use the same set of speakers for both computers and is there any problem with doing this? Thanks!

You could get yourself a set of Klipsch ProMedia speakers or some other speakers that have an iPod input then hook the second PC's audio out into the iPod input. This is how I run my two PC's off of one set of ProMedia's 2.1 speakers. I'm sure RadioShack has some sort of switch that could do it for you too.

Run a cord from the audio out on the computer without speakers to the line-in on the computer with speakers. Of course, you would have to keep the one with speakers always on.

Its called Radioshack and adapters.

Or buy a KVM with audio built in, and just use the audio portion of the KVM....

All you need is one of these and one of these.

Take one of these from the output on each computer and plug those two into the double plug end of the splitter, plug the coupler into the other end of the splitter and plug your speaker input into that.

You can probably do it with less parts than this, but just as an example, all you really need is the splitter and the rest is just adapting the plugs to fit what you're plugging in.

I used to just use a reverse Y connector with extension cablels on the ends to allow a singular output with two inputs. The only thing you have to do then is remember to turn off the sound on one before switching over to the other.

Back