How To: Setup Spamassassin on RedHat Firewall with earthlink email?

computadorka

[H]ard|Gawd
So here is my situation. I have a RHEL Clone (CentOS) as my firewall directly connected to my cable modem.

I use iptables and have internal computers. I use earthlink POP mail @ smtp-east.earthlink.net or something like that. I want the linux FW to receive the mail from earthlink, run it through spamassassin and then my internal PC i guess would point to my linux FW box to then recieve the spam-stripped mail.

I suppose this is the way it should work. Has anyone any experience on setting this up? wether it be spamassassin or some other product?

I already have spamassassin installed but yet to configure it.

tia

There are several ways to do this, as spam assassin can be placed at different parts of the mail server, which usually resides on the receiving end of an SMTP server. But given your requirements, I would suggest setting up an inline pop3 proxy that scans your mail when you download it from the earthlink server.

There are several pop 3 proxy programs that employ spam assassin for heuristic detection. I've used pop3proxy with some success, though it requires a bit of tweaking of the weights to filter exactly as you want it.

I would also highly recommend one called http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl which uses baysean filtering and "learns" based on interactive feedback.

Both are pop3 proxies that can run as a daemon on your linux server, proxying POP3 requests from your email client and rewriting message headers as they are sent back to you.

You could use fetchmail to download the mail from Earthlink. Fetchmail hands the email to a local MTA (such as exim, postfix, or sendmail) which then delivers it locally (usually to a post-processor like spamassassin or procmail).

Back