How to setup a Netgear router w/ out internet?

willr

n00b
I would like to setup a Netgear Wireless-G Broadband Router Model WGR614NA but I do not have internet access at this time. I won't have internet until next week but I would still like to setup the wireless network to share files. When I insert the Netgear CD-ROM it says "detecting internet connection" and then ends the installer when no connection is detected. Is there a way to set this up without internet?

Thanks

Just use the switch. No need for a CD. I wouldn't think so anyway. If you can pull the card drivers off the CD just go get them from the website. What you have, a router with nothing plugged into the WAN/INternet Port, is a switch/Access Point. Both will work fine without an internet connection.

Yup, a router is a router. More or less mostly used with a high speed connectivity to the net, but else it works exactly the same with out internet. Well techanlly, the router is the part that goes from the WAN to the LAN, and you either have a switch or hub in the router. So relistly your not using a router if not connected to the internet, just the hub/switch part.

Correct me im wrong guys...

-Kyle

kjm2003 said:
Yup, a router is a router. More or less mostly used with a high speed connectivity to the net, but else it works exactly the same with out internet. Well techanlly, the router is the part that goes from the WAN to the LAN, and you either have a switch or hub in the router. So relistly your not using a router if not connected to the internet, just the hub/switch part.

Correct me im wrong guys...

-Kyle
Hubs and Switches do not serve anything, they simply take data in and put data out.

If you are using the Router to serve the DHCP (Which everyone most likely does), then you are using the "router" portion of the hardware. Also, any feature that is configured within the router setup screen is part of the router circuit, so you will be using the router functions for anything from network security to web access to wireless SSID broadcast.

vmerc said:
Hubs and Switches do not serve anything, they simply take data in and put data out.

If you are using the Router to serve the DHCP (Which everyone most likely does), then you are using the "router" portion of the hardware. Also, any feature that is configured within the router setup screen is part of the router circuit, so you will be using the router functions for anything from network security to web access to wireless SSID broadcast.

Yup...just plug the computers in, they'll all obtain a 192.168.0.XXX IP address from the routers DHCP service...and a standard class C 255.255.255.0 SNM....and THAT...will give you the ability to setup your local peer to peer network. So what if the gateway address (192.168.0.1) leads to nowhere because there is no WAN connection.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Yup...just plug the computers in, they'll all obtain a 192.168.0.XXX IP address from the routers DHCP service...and a standard class C 255.255.255.0 SNM....and THAT...will give you the ability to setup your local peer to peer network. So what if the gateway address (192.168.0.1) leads to nowhere because there is no WAN connection.
Well, the router hardware is actually the 192.168.0.1 address at all times. The client computers still communicate with the router even if there's no internet connection. Imagine it like this: You have a shirt and on the front it says "Bob" and on the back it says "Jim". You're Bob and Jim, but it depends on who is talking to you which name you use. If the person behind you wants to give something to the person in front of you they say "Hey Jim! give this package to Gary over there." Gary (in front of you) would say "Hey Bob, give this package back to Shaun behind you." Additionally, you give the names out to the people behind you, so anyone that is behind you has to ask you what their name is before they can even communicate with the people in front of you.

I hope I confused someone. ;)

If you're using the wireless you will 99% probably have to use the wired Ethernet to connect to the router to set up the wireless before it will work.

vmerc said:

Well the SSID is a function of the AP. Has nothing to do with the router. The DHCP is a function of the all in one solution. Doesn't belong to any specific part. I guess you could say you use the router for DHCP. That's the only function that would be used by the OP. There is no default gateway even necessary as there is nothing on the WAN side. It may assign it to the client but the client never communicates with it unless of course the user actually tries to hit an internet/web site. Without that attempt the client does all the work. The stack decides if the IP the user is trying to get to is local or not. Only when not is the gateway involved.

The guy is using the switch and if wireless, the AP. The router in this scenario is a non issue.

" hope I confused someone"

Actually it just sounds like your confused.

"you will be using the router functions for anything from network security to web access to wireless SSID broadcast"

Might want to do some research on what a router is and does.

lol well, i guess i explained that in a diffrent way that was way wrong...woopseys.....

you guys are saying as if u just had a swich or hub you couldent share files....poor switchs and hubs..:(

lol kyle...

ktwebb said:
Well the SSID is a function of the AP. Has nothing to do with the router. The DHCP is a function of the all in one solution. Doesn't belong to any specific part. I guess you could say you use the router for DHCP. That's the only function that would be used by the OP. There is no default gateway even necessary as there is nothing on the WAN side. It may assign it to the client but the client never communicates with it unless of course the user actually tries to hit an internet/web site. Without that attempt the client does all the work. The stack decides if the IP the user is trying to get to is local or not. Only when not is the gateway involved.

The guy is using the switch and if wireless, the AP. The router in this scenario is a non issue.

" hope I confused someone"

Actually it just sounds like your confused.

"you will be using the router functions for anything from network security to web access to wireless SSID broadcast"

Might want to do some research on what a router is and does.
I like how you had one response, then went back to edit it and made it more offensive. That's a great idea.

You know I made a mistake.
I shouldn't have butted the two thoughts together like I did. Actually the story being where it is makes it look like I was trying to say something that I was not.

Refute this: "Well, the router hardware is actually the 192.168.0.1 address at all times."
and refute this: "The client computers still communicate with the router even if there's no internet connection."
The rest in that post is superfluous.

Should we define the word "router" before we continue? I think we should, because I am sure we would be talking on different levels. Is a router the box that sits on the shelf and has linksys molded into it's face? Is a router a chip that has logic on it? Is a router software that processes data and translates it over a "bridge"?

If the item is sold as a "router" It's pretty much a router to me. I don't care if there's one chip or 100 chips inside the box. I bought a "router" therefore the whole thing is a "router". If you're going to nit-pick this and that function, then you'll have to explain that you are not talking in consumer grade terms and accept the fact that others ARE talking in consumer grade terms.

Oh and in the statement: "Actually it just sounds like your confused." You would want to use the word "you're" in place of "your". Because seriously I didn't know I own a confused, and I really wouldn't know what it sounds like. :p

vmerc said:
Well, the router hardware is actually the 192.168.0.1 address at all times. The client computers still communicate with the router even if there's no internet connection. Imagine it like this: You have a shirt and on the front it says "Bob" and on the back it says "Jim". You're Bob and Jim, but it depends on who is talking to you which name you use. If the person behind you wants to give something to the person in front of you they say "Hey Jim! give this package to Gary over there." Gary (in front of you) would say "Hey Bob, give this package back to Shaun behind you." Additionally, you give the names out to the people behind you, so anyone that is behind you has to ask you what their name is before they can even communicate with the people in front of you.

I hope I confused someone. ;)

Yes...you're pretty much correct...but what lost you where you seem to be trying to correct something I said? When I said "So what is the gateway goes nowhere?" Because if there's no active WAN, the gateway is a dead end...therefore it goes nowhere. I realize the routers LAN is still there, 192.168.0.1 unless someone changed the default LAN IP..but it still leads to nowhere besides the typical boring Netgear web admin or even less exciting telnet session...the gateway will have no other side.

vmerc said:
Refute this: "Well, the router hardware is actually the 192.168.0.1 address at all times."

That one is easy to refute...because one can change that default LAN IP...therefore if it can be changed...and someone goes and changes it to something like 192.168.69.1....well...it's no longer 192.168.0.1 "at all times".

The LAN IP can be changed..therefore logic dictates that it cannot be the same "at all times". "Defaults"? Yes. "Most likely if nobody screws with it?" Yes. But 100% cast in stone, never wavers? Not true.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Yes...you're pretty much correct...but what lost you where you seem to be trying to correct something I said? When I said "So what is the gateway goes nowhere?" Because if there's no active WAN, the gateway is a dead end...therefore it goes nowhere. I realize the routers LAN is still there, 192.168.0.1 unless someone changed the default LAN IP..but it still leads to nowhere besides the typical boring Netgear web admin or even less exciting telnet session...the gateway will have no other side.
Yes true. After reading your post again I see what you mean. I thought you meant that the 192.168.0.1 would "be" nowhere. In a sense, connected leading nowhere to being nowhere. Silly on my part.

For the OP: You do not need a router or DHCP to have a LAN network. You can always manually assign IPs at each client. It sucks, but it is possible.

YeOldeStonecat said:
That one is easy to refute...because one can change that default LAN IP...therefore if it can be changed...and someone goes and changes it to something like 192.168.69.1....well...it's no longer 192.168.0.1 "at all times".

The LAN IP can be changed..therefore logic dictates that it cannot be the same "at all times". "Defaults"? Yes. "Most likely if nobody screws with it?" Yes. But 100% cast in stone, never wavers? Not true.
Well I was using the default as an example.

vmerc said:
Yes true. After reading your post again I see what you mean. I thought you meant that the 192.168.0.1 would "be" nowhere. In a sense, connected leading nowhere to being nowhere.

It's "potentially" on the way to somewhere....but with no active WAN connection, the only place it leads is an admin interface of A) Web, and/or B) Telnet, or on a rare few...possibly a print server IP.

A router is a device which connects two networks...in "home broadband routers"...the term "router" has become a common household term which is really an all in one device.

Some have built in DSL or cable modems...which are really "bridges"..but have been marketed as modems

You have the router itself...running as a gateway. Go back 7 or so years...the term "router" was really only known by IT guys in charge of wide area networks, or some large corp network with a T of some sort.

Typically a built in 4 port switch

Sometimes a built in access point too

DHCP service to make things easy, plug 'n play-like

And a few have a pathetic attempt at a built in print server

You guys are making this way too difficult.

Router - Routes traffic Via Protocols
Hub/switch - Pass data

USE THE OSI Layer model
Since a router > hub/switch it also acts as a hub/switch.

Router cares what the data says
Hubs switches just want activity.

Routers can double as access points, print servers, switchers, hubs, and your mom! Wait throwing you offguard.

Banner Motd ...> ( >_< ) Mom get in the kitchen and make me some PIEEE!

vmerc said:
I like how you had one response, then went back to edit it and made it more offensive. That's a great idea.

You know I made a mistake.
I shouldn't have butted the two thoughts together like I did. Actually the story being where it is makes it look like I was trying to say something that I was not.

and refute this: "The client computers still communicate with the router even if there's no internet connection."
The rest in that post is superfluous.

Should we define the word "router" before we continue? I think we should, because I am sure we would be talking on different levels. Is a router the box that sits on the shelf and has linksys molded into it's face? Is a router a chip that has logic on it? Is a router software that processes data and translates it over a "bridge"?

If the item is sold as a "router" It's pretty much a router to me. I don't care if there's one chip or 100 chips inside the box. I bought a "router" therefore the whole thing is a "router". If you're going to nit-pick this and that function, then you'll have to explain that you are not talking in consumer grade terms and accept the fact that others ARE talking in consumer grade terms.

Oh and in the statement: "Actually it just sounds like your confused." You would want to use the word "you're" in place of "your". Because seriously I didn't know I own a confused, and I really wouldn't know what it sounds like. :p

I'm absolutely talking in consumer terms. That defines this conversation. If your talking enterprise typically a router has one network interface for each network. There is not integrated switch. no integrated AP. Generally speaking of course. It's in the SOHO market that people get confused about what their (is that right? wouldn't want to use incorrect grammer) device is. A router is used to route. An AP is a wireless hub. A switch is just that a switch. A wireless router combines all these things but if you have nothing plugged into the wan interface then it is not routing, therefore it is not being used as a router. That's about the end of it. If you can't understand that logic then I am incapable of explaining to you. Which is ok. Your not the only one that says "my laptop couldn't talk to my router" when they are talking about wireless connectivity and associating to an Access Point. No big deal. My apologies if you were offended. I'll stand by my statements since they have been said but I really should of just exposed your statement and left the digs out of it.

TeamStrykerCore said:
You guys are making this way too difficult.

Router - Routes traffic Via Protocols
Hub/switch - Pass data

USE THE OSI Layer model
Since a router > hub/switch it also acts as a hub/switch.

Router cares what the data says
Hubs switches just want activity.

Routers can double as access points, print servers, switchers, hubs, and your mom! Wait throwing you offguard.

Banner Motd ...> ( >_< ) Mom get in the kitchen and make me some PIEEE!

Actually we are just trying to explain the differences. Not in an acutely technical way from what I have read and written myself. Your getting a little carried away in fact referencing the OSI model. relevant for a technical debate perhaps, not so much for this thread.

And your last statement about routers is fallacious. Along the same line as vmercs. Routers can only be routers. Why? Because routers route. That is what they do. They cannot be AP's or switches. Anyway, this is really getting tiresome. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Back