[how to]Set up a domain in Win2k3

ashrack

Limp Gawd
At home I have 4computers. 3 of them are clients running WinXP,Win2k,Linux. And one is server running Win2k3.
The server has the following roles: ICS,File Server, has direct ADSL connection(no router present), FIREWALL.

ATM I have my network set up as workgroup because Ive never tried DOMAIN B4.
But now I would like to set up a DOMAIN. So I would ask U all if U could help me out as to what I will have to do and change... Or perhaps a guide would be great too

network.jpg

you need to run the "Configure You Server" wizard on the 2003 Server box, and set it up as a domain controller, with active directory and dns

Is it possible to set up a DC at home, where DHCP is handled by my router, and DNS is handled by my ISP?

You will need to have DNS on the DC. At home, I would have the DC run AD, DNS, and DHCP.

MorfiusX said:
You will need to have DNS on the DC. At home, I would have the DC run AD, DNS, and DHCP.
There are a few other options...I'd probably let the router handle DHCP, but give the server a static.

As for DNS, the Win2k3 server has to be a DNS server (note: make sure its network card's primary DNS is the IP of the server), but from there you could choose your DNS structure. Most likely, you'd tell the server to forward all DNS requests either to the router, or to an outside DNS (like your ISP's) and leave it at that.

LoneWolf said:
There are a few other options...I'd probably let the router handle DHCP, but give the server a static.

As for DNS, the Win2k3 server has to be a DNS server (note: make sure its network card's primary DNS is the IP of the server), but from there you could choose your DNS structure. Most likely, you'd tell the server to forward all DNS requests either to the router, or to an outside DNS (like your ISP's) and leave it at that.
Windows DHCP support Dynamic DNS registration of Windows DNS. If he ever hooks up something like a printer or an Xbox, then this would be helpfull.

Also, a forwarder is not required as Windows DNS comes with root hints. I didn't mention a forwarder as it would be easier for a beginer not to use one. With only a handful of clients, he will not see a performance difference using only root hints is easier because they are set by default.

I set the server up in a workgroup, named the same as what my Domain will be, right? And then, if I remember right, the local admin account becomes the domain admin account?

djnes said:
I set the server up in a workgroup, named the same as what my Domain will be, right? And then, if I remember right, the local admin account becomes the domain admin account?
It will ask you what you what to name the new domain. And yes, the account you use to run DCPROMO (which must be an member of the local administrators group) will becomes a Domain Admin and Enerprise Admin. It will ask you what password you want to give to your domain "administrator" account as well.

Back