How to remove AMD 939 retention guide?

bhw752k

n00b
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
32
Hi, I've gotten a Zalman 7000B CPU cooler, and I'm trying to install it on my motherboard. I've got a Gigabyte board, and the problem is that the retention guide is held in place by 2 white plastic pins, instead of screws. It looks like this: http://www.amdzone.com/pics/motherboards/gigabyte/k8nsnxp-939/socket.jpg

I need to remove the retention guide to install the new cooler, and the instructions don't have details on how it's done (well, if there were just screws it would be obvious)

Does anyone know how to get these pins out?? The back plate obscures access to the bottoms of the pins, so the bottoms of the pins can't be squeezed. My motherboard is listed on Zalman's site as being compatible, so there's got to be a way to do it...right?

Thanks so much.
 
Look at the retention-pins from the bottom of the motherboard.

Usually the pins are secured by either a split-pin with a wedge-spreader to expand the pin and perhaps a retaining collar. Close inspection should make it obvious.

If a collar is used, pull it off with needle-nose pliers. Pull the wedge to allow the bottom of the retention spin to collapse. Squeeze the bottom of the pin, and push it through.

Hope this helps!
 
Back
Top