how to piggyback Linksys WRT54GL to my ADSL modem/router?

exe

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, could someone help me or point out a website/guide on how I can piggyback my Linksys WRT54GL (running Tomato 1.27) on to my Dreytek (model 2500we) ADSL modem/router? The Dreytek itself is one unit and it does have WAN and LAN, but the WAN is wonky, would always drop all wireless connected computers and the only way to solve that is to either diasable the wireless from a computer wired to it via LAN or by shutting the power button and turning it back on.

There are so many menu settings I don't know what to enable or select on both the Dreytek and my Linksys. I did manage to get the Linksys working just by plugging the 'to internet' plug directly to the Dreytek LAN port, but after about a month of use, it no longer would allow me to do that.

The other option is for me to upgrade the firmware on the Dreytek, but I have problems doing that as well.

Any assistance much appreciated. I can provide snapshots of the menu of my Dreyteck modem/router if required. Thanks again.

2x choices that I come up with.

***Flip that Draytek to run as just a bridged modem, and use your Linksys to do the PPPoE and obtain the public IP on its WAN interface.

***Leave the Draytek as is, and use your Linksys as an access point only. Set the Linksys to be in the same IP range as the Draytek but not .1..set it to a standard AP IP. Say the Draytek is 192.168.1.1, set the Linksys to 192.168.1.245 or 192.168.1.253. Next...disable DHCP on the Linksys. Now...uplink the Linksys to the Draytek using a LAN port of the Linksys to a LAN port on the Draytek, you will not use the WAN/Internet port of the Linksys. Now the Linksys is not running as another router, but just as an access point.

YeOldeStonecat, thank you so much. I had a little difficulty following choice #1 (maybe I had to not use the 'to internet' port of the Linksys?), but I got it to work using choice #2!! Thankfully now I don't have to go spend money on buying another adsl modem/router. Thanks again.

Ops, ok spoke too soon. It seems I can only connect my 1 laptop wirelessly to the linksys. I can't connect any other computer through wireless to the Linksys.

Also it seems that I have to set WAN/Internet Type to "Disabled" (the other choices are DHCP, PPPoE, Static, PPTP, L2TP) and I also have to under LAN, disable DHCP Server to get this lone laptop connected to the Linksys (wireless) and working. I tried only disabling one or the other setting, but it's a no go, I have to disable both.

Help appreciated, thanks.

Back