How to monitor network speed

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
My current network is 10/100 and I'm going to upgrade it to gigabit. My question. Is there some way I can monitor the current speed of my 10/100 network and then monitor the gigabit (when I get it all changed over) to see if there is much of an improvement?

I already have a gigabit network at home and everyone said just try transferring large files and compare to time. But I want something that will really show the actually through put so I can really know the difference.

Suggestions?

I run a 10/100 network, and AFAIK the difference in speed when upgrading to gigabit will be very small. Other limiting factors such as hard drive access time and such will bottleneck the system way before the connection speed does. Instead of wasting money on gigabit, why not upgrade your hard drives or something. Upgrading your file server to 15,000rpm SCSI RAID drives will make a much bigger improvement than gigabit ethernet. :D

Gigabit is only useful in very large networks when connecting servers etc.

I use a little util called DU Meter. It has an EKG like interface with UL/DL o.okbps text on the bottom frame bar. But you can change that. You can also change which NIC or modem you want it to monitor. Very handy util if you wanna know if wares are callin home to mama.

Well, actually I don't really have a server. I'm just transferring files back and forth across my LAN. Some of those are fairly large audio files. Just looking for a way to speed things up a little :D

Thanks for the input!

Back