how to make a master master clone

leeroy

Gawd
i build many many systems a week and the most annoying thing is, is install an o/s.

i installed a fresh copy of xp pro onto a hd and did not install no mothernoard drivers and imaged it stragiht to a file via ghost 8. however when i build a new system and clone it. that new system with the clione will obviously fail to start due to different hardware such as chipset, onbaord , etc. like right now it keeps reboot just after verify dmi pool data.

how do i exactly sysprep it, so next time i can just clone it, re detect the os as new hardware etc... is it manfucturer seal or that other one?

and for the smart ppl who r gna rant about 1 licence per machine activation. i am fully aware of this. usually i go to acvtivate via telephone and then i change the cd key to the matching cd key label for despatch (also can use jelly bean) as well as change the netowk pc name.

as a manfucaturer who build these sysyems for end customers, r we meant to actiavte it or let customer acitvate it?

YOu can load a basic basic image of XP on one of the machines, and then extract the deploy.cab from the XP CD. In it, you'll find a sysprep.exe file. Run that, and for help on the options, check Microsoft's site, or the sticky at the top by Phoenix86. Then you can ghost that image and re-use it.

tks

but upon the next start up it asks me to enter cd key and activate machine via telephone (dont get 28 days trail) and agree all that stuff. i dont want that

plus sysprep reamins on the hdd? can i get it to auto delete itself as well?

i done it, it works perfect with IDE hdds but there seems to be an issue wen i load a master iamge onto a SATA hdd. it will boot half way, show windows splash scren and keep restarting.

this happens on the older mobo which didnt recognise sata properly and u had to press F6 at xp install in order to install the SIS driver to contniue.. it didnt happen on the newer mobos which reognised SATA hdds stragiht off in the bios.

its because thers no driver for the SATA, so how would i install the SATA driver via ghost explorer?

but upon the next start up it asks me to enter cd key and activate machine via telephone (dont get 28 days trail) and agree all that stuff. i dont want that
Sysprep resets the license. I only do this with VLA keys, but I would expect what your seeing to be normal for OEM/Retail keys. The whole point is you are loading this on new machines, that would require licensing/registration anyways. Sysprep doesn't automatically register the OS.

plus sysprep reamins on the hdd? can i get it to auto delete itself as well?
The sysprep folder should delete itself after running the mini-setup. Is this not happening?

About the drivers, look into the adding drivers to sysprep setups. I haven't messed around with it, but the options appear to be there to build in both Mass Storage drivers as well as PNP drivers for different hardware such as NICs, audio cards, etc (I have done the PNP drivers, just not the mass storage ones). I'll get you a link in a sec.

edit: Technet is your friend.

Just remember, when you extract sysprep.exe, put it in a SYSPREP folder in the root of the drive. When you run it, select "shut down", not "restart", then make an image of it as you wish. Try to make a list of the hardware your different computers you build use, and look into instructions for slipstreaming them into a windows install CD, which you can then burn, install, sysprep, and then image out. Either that, or you can extract the driver files directly into the installation from the recovery console, and then image it.

From there you can distribute it out to your newly-built systems, and go through the install process. You should have a key for every install, or else your sytem building is not legal, so inputting one on the first bootup should be fine, unless you're trying to do something against the "System Builder OEM" license agreement.

i did the first option, and let it shut down. compressed to a ghost image and every new pc i build i will extract image to that hdd, then i use jelly bean to change to prodcut key. this is legally fine right?

although on the first start up it will have the orignal cloned cd, i do change it straight away since i have to since i stick a coa sticker on the case itself. this is ok right, not illegal right? i also change the pc network pc name.

yes sysprep is in c:\ and doesnt seem to be auto deleting itself on every new image i roll out to a new hdd.

leeroy said:
i did the first option, and let it shut down. compressed to a ghost image and every new pc i build i will extract image to that hdd, then i use jelly bean to change to prodcut key. this is legally fine right?

although on the first start up it will have the orignal cloned cd, i do change it straight away since i have to since i stick a coa sticker on the case itself. this is ok right, not illegal right? i also change the pc network pc name.

yes sysprep is in c:\ and doesnt seem to be auto deleting itself on every new image i roll out to a new hdd.

Assuming the keys your using are legal, then yes, I believe your ok.

djnes said:
Assuming the keys your using are legal, then yes, I believe your ok.
Agreed, should be OK. Remember, when it comes down the the nuts and bolts of licensing, installs must < paper licenses on hand.

The key is not relevant to legal aspects of licensing.

The key is relevant in activation, registration, windows updates, etc.

ok i conclude im clean :D so do u lot have network images on a server and everytime u build a pc u network clone it down and your sorted

im trying to build a network clone server to hold iamges of all windows so i can just use boot from lan in bios to download the clone image. i cant use ghost tcp boot disk since i got to create boot disks for every network realtek, intel and braodcom network card out there which i obviously can not do.

leeroy said:

The OOBE (out of box experience) is setup in such a way the customer enters their CDkey, choose to register, setup the computer name, logon accounts, etc.

As an OEM builder, your system should be configured so that the *customer* enters the CD key, not you as the OEM builder unless you have a specific agreement with MS that says otherwise.

really are u jk abotu this?
i have always fully built alll systems i sell to my customers, meaning i install, confugire date time region, etc as wel as install all drivers for motherbaord, vga, etc and maybe the bundled softwre when i feel like it. and sometimes i even activate for the customer as well since sometimes i forget to set date and time during setup and bios says its like 2004 therefore i have to activate the system in order to install all relevant drivers for the custoemr

leeroy said:
i have always fully built alll systems i sell to my customers, meaning i install, confugire date time region, etc as wel as install all drivers for motherbaord, vga, etc and maybe the bundled softwre when i feel like it. and sometimes i even activate for the customer as well since sometimes i forget to set date and time during setup and bios says its like 2004 therefore i have to activate the system in order to install all relevant drivers for the custoemr

No, I am not joking. The OEM EULA for the manufacturer (you) of the PC has very specific terms.

From MS OEM section of their website:

"Q. What is the OPK and why do I have to use it?
A. System Builders who distribute Windows software on a fully assembled PC must preinstall the software on the PC's hard drive using the OEM pre-installation kit (OPK) included in the OEM System Builder Pack.

Preinstallation using the OPK ensures customers can experience the intended "Windows Out of Box Experience" or OOBE and they receive the opportunity to accept the EULA.

Additionally, the OPK is easy to set up and use and will save you time versus manual installation. It enables you to add shortcuts and branding of your business to the operating system, enables you to test preinstalled PCs without interrupting the preinstallation process, and much more.

For more information on the OPK, please see https://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?pageid=512592 "

The specific text of the OEM EULA for the manufacturer (you) :
"If you distribute a desktop operating system with a fully assembled computer system, you must (a) preinstall it on the computer system’s hard drive and (b) use the OEM Preinstallation Kit ("OPK") provided in this package, if any. Preinstallation is limited to one copy of each individual software license. You may not copy or modify the OPK or OPK instructions provided in this package, if any. You may not distribute the OPK or OPK instructions to an end user. For updates regarding OEM preinstallation tools and support, see http://www.microsoft.com/oem. If you distribute a hardware unit with a fully assembled computer system, you must preinstall the associated software drivers and programs supplied in this package, if any, on the fully assembled computer system’s hard drive."

Furthermore, the OPK kit also provides some customization features that allow you to include your business name and support number as well as other things for branding purposes.

You may want to consider reviewing the OEM section of Microsoft's Website if you plan on doing this as a part or full time business.

leeroy said:
The first bolded part is still possible, you just need to provide sysprep with all the files for the drivers your loading. See the link I provided or search technet for more info. The activation part isn't possible because of OEM restrictions.

ok so if you was a customer, and i built a pc for you and u had to enter all the coa liecencse cd key and isntall mobo drivers, etc. your telling me you wouldnt be pissed off?

leeroy said:
ok so if you was a customer, and i built a pc for you and u had to enter all the coa liecencse cd key and isntall mobo drivers, etc. your telling me you wouldnt be pissed off?

Your missing the point... The bolded section, no, you enter a number, and activate via the internet, should take 3 minutes and a monkey could do it. If I had to install the mobo drivers, yes, I'd be upset. However...

The user will not have to install any drivers if you have sysprep setup, read the link I provided.

leeroy said:

As for the EULA and CDkey, the customer must be the one to accept those terms and perform the activation. If you preinstall everything correctly, the customer *will not* have to install any drivers.

You really need to take a look at Microsoft's OEM section of their website and you will find the information you will need to properly preinstall the OS.

All we are doing is providing you with the correct information on how your supposed to do things, whether you choose to do it that way or not is your business.

SJConsultant said:
All we are doing is providing you with the correct information on how your supposed to do things, whether you choose to do it that way or not is your business.

And whether you chose to do things the legal way or not is your business. But, if your ever found to be in violation of Microsoft's policy, don't say you weren't warned.

If it was up to me, if I was going to be a system builder, I would do it right, or I wouldn't do it at all.

Back