How to handle a lost package via fedex

Status
Not open for further replies.

watertown28

2[H]4U
I am the buyer here, and barring the contents of package not working he did get the package out the door in a timely manner.

Heres the story:

I bought a few items form a guy here and he used fedex to ship items. this was in the system on tuesday sept 2nd 2008. The time for delivery was on friday Sep 5 2008

Come home from work on Friday, no package. I check the tracking and it said
Delivery exception ...problem with my addy. Its funny because I am PP verified, have me name and addy in the Tele book and get mail delivered here. Im like fine , my door can be a bit hard to find, but asking anyone on the block ( i live downtown and every one knows me for the most part ) and they could have figured it out.

Well I call them and explain to them that i do indeed live here and that the addy is correct. I explain how to get the package to me. They tell me monday...which ticked me off but okay whatever.

Come monday They ( fedex ) calls , the old lady answers cuz I am at work ( shes stays at home so shes here all the time unless i am home and i tell here to go out and get some sun ) She once again explains how to get to the door ( go to back of building, down the ally , and there is a door with a DOOR BELL on it, that is our door )

Soooo I get home tonight... check the status, and it says "Left at front door. Signature Service not requested. "

Whhaaaaa??? so where is the package? I checked every place on the block and NOT one person has the package...I call up fedex and they are telling me 3 MORE DAYS so they can backtrack with the driver....well if its not anywhere around me on the block where is it?

Sooo.... what to do now? I contacted the seller, he knows of the situation.... needless to say he is mad. It is not really his fualt that fedex cant seem to get a package to me yet USPS and UPS never have issues.

Would it be rude to just bounce the package to him again and have him reship ( if the package is found that is ) if i pay him the shipping cost?

If the package is not found, should I ask for a refund right off? I am not sure what responsibility I have as a buyer here on issues like this. All the buying and selling I have done, I never ran into this issue ever ( i ship USPS and have received both USPS and UPS )

I just need some advice on how to handle this matter.... How long to wait, ect ect. I must stress that this is not the sellers fault here...

Interesting question as I always thought of this scenario but I guess I'm lucky that I have not ran into this issue prior.

I'm also unsure of how it should be handled outside of you getting your money back if lost as It's considered the sellers responsibility to get the product to you. Hopefully fedex finds the package, if not hopefully fedex will reimburse the seller instead of him being out both.

Unfortunatly Fedex is one of the cheaper shipping methods with tracking, but I have selected signature required and they still leave it on a door step depending on the area. The one I recall is a PC (500$) I sold on here and had it shipped to this persons business. He told me signature confirmation was not needed, but I still chose it due to the value. He later told me when he arrived to work it was just sitting there in front of the store on a busy street.....

Still I end up paying the extra for indirect signature just incase the delivery company tries to pull this stunt. I'm interested how this pans out to see if fedex will reimburse.

Someone could have stolen it off your doorstep. It happens. Was signature required?

No I dont think that would happen. They are fixing the roof next door so there are there was about 5 to 7 guys in that area . they are all aware that im looking for the package and would have noticed if someone took it.

Okay so if they did indeed leave the package there.... why on earth would they not burn the 3 calories to push the doorbell? Sara was home like she always is in the morning and afternoon

may I ask what the package was? lol

It was a PSU, mobo, Video card, I got a steal on the items too. The value of said package was 200.00

After being able to catch the seller at the same time when me and him both had idle time at the same time, he filled out a dispute form for the package, the nice thing is he did declare the value of 200 for the package.

I am just pizzed cuz if they did indeed leave it at my door why on earth like i said they not ring the doorbell?

This all and all has put a really foul taste in my mouth for fedex. This is the worst issue I ever had getting a package, as for the seller never had this issue with getting stuff delivered on time from them, so this is pretty much the first for the both of us.

( okay I had one problem with UPS...they took a package across town and dropped it at the wrong house.... but they had it figured out withen 2 hours and the package was in my hands 2 hours later )

I hate fedex too.

fucking fedex didn't leave a package on my doorstep today, because it was "signature confirmation" and I wasn't here.

Fair enough, right?

WRONG. the motherfuckers didn't leave a door tag. I tracked the package- and it said "delivery exception." Wouldn't have known otherwise, cause there as no tag on my door.

Called Fedex, they were like "hmm strange, they are supposed to leave a tag...."

douchebag ♥♥♥♥s...

all I want is my corsair 620HX :(

edit: we can't say ♥♥♥♥? lol

I had this same type of problem with FedEx probably five months ago. Bought a printer online, retailer shipped it nice and speedy. I'm sitting down expecting FedEx to deliver my box before i go to work only to read that it was delivered to and signed for by another person in my building. Well, i asked my mailman who in the building with the signed last name lived where. He gave me two apartments, one wasn't home, the other was an old lady who had not received my package. Called up FedEx pissed off and told them they F'ed up big time, find my package. So they had the driver go back to the place where he dropped it off and redelivered it two days later.

Long story short, call FedEx, tell them to get in contact with the driver who was out for delivery that day and have him retrieve the package and redeliver it to you. Also, be stern with them, there's no excuse for that BS.

I left a signed note for the FedEx driver on my door this morning, and he left the package. standard problem, standard solution. Happens to people everywhere.

HOWEVER

that was my buy.com order (just the PSU).

my UPS newegg order was split into 2 shipments - 1 big box, and 1 tiny box for my heatsink bracket.

the tiny box- was supposed to be delivered today. Hell, the tracking says it was! But guess what??

FUCKING UPS DELIVERED IT TO THE WRONG ADDRESS ACROSS TOWN. They claim it probably got stuck between some bigger boxes, because it went out with the wrong driver.

They are telling the driver to go back and try to recover my package, but they told me he can't deliver it to me, because I'm one zip code away. So, I'll have to meet him somewhere.

Then, the dumb UPS bitch tries to deal with me, so "we don't waste the driver's time" lol

FUCK THAT!! How about UPS does their fucking job! I told her to call me when he gets the package. Then we'll talk.

WTF is this? Talk about bad shipping luck in one week! lol

fucking couriers.....

I have had problems with all of them time to time.

Fedex: The placed I used to live was in a popular suburb of San Jose. It as a populated area but they needed to drive up a hill, about 10 minutes from the rest of the city. I always received problem with no door tags, but I also wasn't home prior so figured they guy was just to lazy to leave one. After I went tellecommute I worked out of the garage right next to the front door. I started noticing "out of delivery" followed by "business was closed", "Not ready for delivery", "Not at Home", "Signature Required" when I was clearly home, never left for the day, and most of the time a signature was never required. This was with Fedex Saver packages mostly so I rarely got my package on the 3rd, 4th day, but would usually get them by day 5 and 6. I called fedex to complain but it was never resolved.

UPS: I had 2 packages go from 5 day to 10 day ground as there was a "Train Delay".

USPS: I had one package that took 15 days via priority. USPS then informed me the 2-3 day priority was not a guarantee, just best effort. With the poor tracking of USPS, or I should say non-existant, we didn't know where the package was. USPS will also only track the package down after 15+ days so it was a very trying time for ther buyer and I. Eventually it showed up but I go with UPS or Fedex for the tracking option.

DHL: I had a RMA with AMD. They lost 2 processors in the process. One showed signed by the receptionist. I was at home that day and I can tell you there's no receptionist and nobody ever came by that day. They tried to track down the package and wasn't available so AMD shipped out another. 2nd attempt same story but a last name I never heard of. I checked with the neighbors and nobody had that last name nor seen a package. 3rd attempt it was on my door step.

Update:

Nope still no package and status still says deilivered.... I am waiting till Thurday to call them again to give a nice 2 day overlay on the situation.... More then enough time to contact the driver and get package to me

The seller has not been on yet today , but he said that he got the paperwork to fax in to fedex. I am sure once the claim gets in that fedex will get on the horse to find this package or pay up

this sucks

Maybe you don't order enough boxes, both the fedex and ups guys know me by name... lol... Never have an issue receiving. Had an issue sending a box before though (FedEx Home Delivery) but 99% of the time everything works out fine...

Nope still no package and status still says deilivered.... I am waiting till Thurday to call them again to give a nice 2 day overlay on the situation.... More then enough time to contact the driver and get package to me

Have you been talking to the 1-800 number, or someone from your local hub?
Also, which FedEx service was used?

Maybe you don't order enough boxes, both the fedex and ups guys know me by name... lol... Never have an issue receiving. Had an issue sending a box before though (FedEx Home Delivery) but 99% of the time everything works out fine...

lol well I've moved around a lot, and now that I'm back in Texas, I should develop those relationships :D

Gotta say though, the UPS guy was really cool today. It wasn't his fault - it was someone else's- there were TWO labels on the package.

One, with my address, tracking number, etc.

The other had Home Depot on it lol - it got labeled like that and put on his truck by mistake. We met in a grocery store parking lot a few blocks from my office, and he gave me the package.

Cool guy. UPS really dropped the ball though...

Have you been talking to the 1-800 number, or someone from your local hub?
Also, which FedEx service was used?

no it was not local it was the 1-800 # so if there is a way to figure out the number ( i can tell what sorting area it went to via the tracking right? )

This place by no means was even local lol... more or less 50+ miles away...heck madison is tons closer than that place.

It was fedex ground 2-3 day delivery.

Another intresting note on this....

When I called them and they said that there was a "apt #x 100" on the label. SO they had the apartment correct but for some reason the number 100 came on it also after the apt #

When I asked the seller about this , he told me that he had the addy correct , but thats what the fedex office lable thing printed out on its own...

If they shipped it from FedEX kinkos, they usually slap the label that the shipper wrote down on the shipping form on the box, but if it's lost there is no way to verify that.Except if the shipper has the receipt in which they staple a carbon copy onto.

I work at FedEx, we caution drivers not to driver release packages in apartment buildings due to high traffic in the hallways/walkways of apts and the high possibility that someone will walk by and take the package. They'll just leave a door tag and if the Customer signs it, then the signature releases the driver(contractor...FedEx ground/home delivery uses contractors) of liability and the next day the driver will release the package if the customer is not home. Though, this isn't FedEx official policy but contractors are typically charged when a package is released at an apartment. It up to the driver to use his or her discretion. At my apt. there isn't heavy traffic and I have a small hallway leading to my front door where packages can be released out of sight of people walking passed.

If they shipped it from FedEX kinkos, they usually slap the label that the shipper wrote down on the shipping form on the box, but if it's lost there is no way to verify that.Except if the shipper has the receipt in which they staple a carbon copy onto.

I work at FedEx, we caution drivers not to driver release packages in apartment buildings due to high traffic in the hallways/walkways of apts and the high possibility that someone will walk by and take the package. They'll just leave a door tag and if the Customer signs it, then the signature releases the driver(contractor...FedEx ground/home delivery uses contractors) of liability and the next day the driver will release the package if the customer is not home. Though, this isn't FedEx official policy but contractors are typically charged when a package is released at an apartment. It up to the driver to use his or her discretion. At my apt. there isn't heavy traffic and I have a small hallway leading to my front door where packages can be released out of sight of people walking passed.

well see the problem with that if he did indeed leave the pacakge is that it was not inside the building but instead left outside / there are 2 apartments in this building. In order to get in he needed to ring the doorbell which would make sense instead of just dropping the package by the door and leaving . Like i said sara is always home so there is no excuse saying no one was home when ringing the bell. So there are two possible options in he left the package outside without even attempting to ring the bell to get it inside, or he left it at the wrong house

Heres what the site says:

no it was not local it was the 1-800 # so if there is a way to figure out the number ( i can tell what sorting area it went to via the tracking right? )

This place by no means was even local lol... more or less 50+ miles away...heck madison is tons closer than that place.

It was fedex ground 2-3 day delivery.

Next time you call the 1-800 number, request that you get a call back from the local hub regarding this.

fedex pisses me off ... the one time i get something through them , cause they're usually the slowest/most expensive, what do they do to prove the extra money is worth it for the service... they leave it IN .... not around or on but IN my trashcan , which is nowhere near teh front of my house, 3 days pass and im like where teh hell is teh package ... call them and they said it was delievered argue for about an hour with them .... go to take out the trash only to find a new package unopened sitting in the bottom of the trashcan

SWEET DEAL FEDEX!!! KEEP UP THE GENIUS WORK

^^^ LMFAO at the package in the trashcan! that sucks dude, but its hilarious.

do these guys ahve brains?! i mean, what logic would cause a man to put a box with stuff in it IN THE TRASH!?

Do yourselfs a favor and dont use FEDEX ground. They dont even have a pickup facility if they cant deliver your package............your stuck!!!

Yeah, the best thing now to do is to file a claim. The shipper should reimburse you with the insured amount hopefully it's fully insured as fedex only covers $100.00 by default.

Do yourselfs a favor and dont use FEDEX ground. They dont even have a pickup facility if they cant deliver your package............your stuck!!!

While this might vary depending on your location, I find it very hard to believe that they were 100% unable to accommodate a pickup request at any of their local facilities.
Around here, even FedEx Home Delivery has their own hub and pickup location, along with hubs for both Ground and Express.

closest fedex we have here is in san diego ... about 75 miles round trip ... better than teh next alternative tho ... riverside ... about 250-300 miles round trip

After my ordeal with FedEx, I try to avoid them at all cost now... Even selecting the more expensive UPS Ground (ughh...).

Long story short, tracking said item was left at front door. Shipping address is a convenient store with open doors. Shipping label has the business name on it as well. Go figure... After calling FedEx repeatedly, I get connected to the local shipping hub who tells me to just file a claim (they also gave me the "We will contact the driver to repeat his shipping route..."). After a week, I finally get my package... re-taped because it was opened... If it was mis-delivered, not seeing their own name on the box should be enough to stop them from opening it?

This really leaves a sour taste for me because if it were delivered to a residential address, I can't really fight it and just hope for it to work out. Can't prove that I was home all day where as with the business address... well... the doors are wide open during business hours. At least with UPS Ground, you get your package... just not in the condition you want sometimes...

Okay guys I found the package myself. There are 2 apartments in the building next to ours ( 306 1/2 not close to 308 is it ? guess it was close enough for fedex ) Found the packages, and not only was my package there... but another item shipped via fedex that we ordered around the same time ( child tracker... only about 250.00 ) was also left at the other addy also.

When I got the packages ( I found them they were not bought to me ) the packages were both opened. Im was tempted to file charges for opening clearly address package that were not addressed to those people... but ehhh i was happy I got my stuff.

So everything worked so its all good.

Should I try to get shipping back at least? was 2 weeks almost, and they technically didnt find the package lol...

This is why i insure EVERYTHING I ship out for 'brand new' insurance. Meaning if im selling a mobo that i sold for 100 bucks, but the newegg price is 200, I'll insure it for 200. That way if somethign happens and I get the insurance back, I can rebuy the item and/or end up on top. I had this happen 1 time 3 years ago when i shipped a whole computer to my Uncle. Fedex lost it. I had bought all the parts used through friends etc and Uncle paid me 500, but I insured it for 1500... Good thing cause I got the money back and rebuilt him another computer and still had money in my pocket :p

watertown, glad you found your stuff! Closing the thread before it gets to off topic. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back