How to get Virtual Audio Cable output to play through speakers?

ShoeLace

Gawd
Hi,

I'm starting to get into streaming and I'm not quite an audio wizard, but here's what I have so far:

Free virtual audio cable driver:
VB-Audio Virtual Apps

Reaper (real time ability to modify my voice):
REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Free tool to record your screen:
Open Broadcaster Software - Index

I have reaper configured to use my microphone as input and the virtual cable as output.
I have OBS set to use the virtual cable as mic input.

At this point, things work correctly. My modified voice from reaper is getting output through OBS's audio channel and things are good.

But here's the problem / question:

How can I get reaper's live monitor to play back the effects through my speakers so that I can hear it before I record it in OSB? I want to just sit here for some time tweaking plugins to get a good sound for my voice, but I can't do this without first recording it in OSB and playing it back, which is killing me.

I feel like the root cause of the issue is I have no idea how to get a virtual audio cable's output to also play through my speakers.

In control panel I have my speakers set as the default playback device but I also tried changing this to the virtual audio cable with no luck.

Hi,

I'm starting to get into streaming and I'm not quite an audio wizard, but here's what I have so far:

Free virtual audio cable driver:
VB-Audio Virtual Apps

Reaper (real time ability to modify my voice):
REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Free tool to record your screen:
Open Broadcaster Software - Index

I have reaper configured to use my microphone as input and the virtual cable as output.
I have OBS set to use the virtual cable as mic input.

At this point, things work correctly. My modified voice from reaper is getting output through OBS's audio channel and things are good.

But here's the problem / question:

How can I get reaper's live monitor to play back the effects through my speakers so that I can hear it before I record it in OSB? I want to just sit here for some time tweaking plugins to get a good sound for my voice, but I can't do this without first recording it in OSB and playing it back, which is killing me.

I feel like the root cause of the issue is I have no idea how to get a virtual audio cable's output to also play through my speakers.

In control panel I have my speakers set as the default playback device but I also tried changing this to the virtual audio cable with no luck.

You can listen to it directly through REAPER, before it gets even passed to the Virtual Audio Cable. The problem is to create one interface combining your actual soundcard and the VAC into one virtual device that you can select as your interface in REAPER. I'm sorry I use Mac OS for audio at the moment, but I know that it should be possible using ASIO4ALL.

Then in REAPER itself you have a couple of options but the easiest IMO would be to route the master track not only to the VAC, but also to your interface. Just click on the 'M R S ROUTING' button and choose 'Add new hardware output...'

Good luck. ;)

Thx linking new toys for me. :) Did you figure your issue out?

Sort of. I set the output as my headphones instead of virtual audio cables in REAPER and then just recorded a bunch of files in REAPER until I eventually got a sound that I liked.

Then I set the output as virtual audio cables and it works as planned.

Having to do the initial recordings wasn't as bad as I thought. Plus it was difficult to really hear myself while talking out loud at the same time. Although in this case, you could artificially set a really high block size to create a mult-second delay if you really wanted to.

Vyedmic Have you ever compared ASIO4ALL to WASAPI in the past? I heard that for windows you're best off sticking with WASAPI unless you had a legit sound card that lets you natively use ASIO.

Last edited:
Back