How to couple D-Link Gaming Router with Prolink ADSL Single port Router?

yogiB

Limp Gawd
Hi Folks.

Very new to ADSL and networking in general. Therefore, I'd appreciate it if your answers were as much as possible in laymen's terms. :)

Here's my problem:
I bought a D-Link DGL-4300 gaming router and attempted to couple it with a Prolink Hurricane 9000C ADSL Modem/Router. Essentially, the Prolink is a modem with a single port router combined. Thus, it has a Ethernet output.

Now, when I connect the Prolink alone to my PC, everything works just fine. However, when I connect the Prolink to my D-Link router's WAN port (according to D-Link instructions) and then connect one of the D-Link LAN ports to my PC, the Prolink and D-Link does not communicate with each other.

In other words, I cannot get Internet access with the D-Link connected. But, all the LEDs light up properly. The D-Link WAN, Prolink LAN, D-Link port 1 (PC), Prolink LINK (synchronized with ISP), etc.

When I first setup the Prolink, I inserted the CD and provided Username and Password as requested and all was fine. When I connected the D-Link also I went to its homepage and entered the Username/PW combination. But it never accesses the Internet via the Prolink. The PC communicates fine with the D-Link, but D-Link doesn't do so with the Prolink.

What could I be doing wrong? Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm connecting two Routers together as opposed to a pure modem - router combination?

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem would be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Yogi.

you probly have both units configured to do dhcp and routing. They will conflict. Two routers=bad. I would turn off the nat and dhcp on the Pro link and let the dlink do the heavy work.

Phaedrus said:
you probly have both units configured to do dhcp and routing. They will conflict. Two routers=bad. I would turn off the nat and dhcp on the Pro link and let the dlink do the heavy work.

Thanks for the advice. Shall look into it.

Also, I bought the D-Link in the US, whereas the Prolink I bought in Singapore. And I'm using them in Sri Lanka. Could this have an effect or are "signals = signals" no matter where the equipment is manufactured?

Thanks again.

All the D-Link routers I have that I have in use as switches/ Wireless APs, I had to connect to one of the LAN ports; you can't use WAN. Assign the router a static IP outside of the router's DHCP range, and all is good.

movax said:
All the D-Link routers I have that I have in use as switches/ Wireless APs, I had to connect to one of the LAN ports; you can't use WAN. Assign the router a static IP outside of the router's DHCP range, and all is good.

Could you please be a little more detailed and specific with those instructions? Since I'm very new to this, most of the stuff pass over my head. ;)

Currently, I have connected the phone line to the Prolink ADSL modem. The modem's Ethernet port is connected to the WAN port of the D-Link Router (per D-Link's instructions). LAN Port #1of the D-Link is wired to the PC.

In this scenario, what exactly are you asking me to do? To which device do I assign the static IP? If you don't mind, please walk me through this. Very much appreciate it.

Also, might this be a firmware issue?

Thanks a lot.

Guys,

Thanks for the help. The problem just disappeard when I simply upgraded the D-Link firmware.

Thanks again.

Back