How To Connect Wireless Router To Time Warner Cable Modem?

Hi guys,
So I have Time Warner Cable Modem (with built in wireless). The wireless isn't really stable and I'm not even that far away from the modem (maybe like 15 ft max). That said, I also have a wireless router just laying around. Is there a possibility that I can connect my wireless router to the Time Warner Cable Modem so that I can actually get the speeds I paid for?

http://www.ehow.com/how_6502105_connect-time-warner-cable-modem.html <----- I tried reading those steps but still find it a bit confusing (Step 4-8)? Can someone please explain it in more simple terms? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to networking.

Thanks.

You need to login to the TWC modem via the web interface. I believe it's 192.168.0.1. From there, you can disable wireless, and change the router into bridge/modem mode or whatever they call it. It disables the entire routing portion of the device and turns it into a simple cable modem. From there, plug your router into any of the ports on the cable modem (I use #1), and set your wireless router to DHCP (probably already is).

I'm assuming the TWC device is a Motorola Surfboard something or other. I have the exact same modem, and did this the day I got it.

Also, call TWC if you have trouble. They will disable it for you remotely, or give you instructions on how to.

You need to login to the TWC modem via the web interface. I believe it's 192.168.0.1. From there, you can disable wireless, and change the router into bridge/modem mode or whatever they call it. It disables the entire routing portion of the device and turns it into a simple cable modem. From there, plug your router into any of the ports on the cable modem (I use #1), and set your wireless router to DHCP (probably already is).

I'm assuming the TWC device is a Motorola Surfboard something or other. I have the exact same modem, and did this the day I got it.

Also, call TWC if you have trouble. They will disable it for you remotely, or give you instructions on how to.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! I will do this when I get home.

I have a quick question though. Do you notice a dramatic difference in wireless speed and the amount of bars u have when connecting it to your wireless router and the TW Cable Modem?
Another this is, when I bridge the wireless connection to my wireless router, it will no longer rely on the shitty built in wireless of the TW Cable Modem right? All the wireless transmission will be made through the router and not the TW Cable Modem? Will I have to change the name of the network, or will it still recognize what my network name was previously?

Thanks

Thanks

It will use whatever settings you have on your third party wireless router. It will disable all features of the TWC modem turning it into a dumb modem like you are used to. If all your devices are setup to connect to your third party wireless router, you won't need to reconnect them, they will pick right up.

Call Time Warner billing department.

Why? If that cable modem is being rented from TWC...you're being billed every month for having that wifi chip inside the modem enabled.

It will use whatever settings you have on your third party wireless router. It will disable all features of the TWC modem turning it into a dumb modem like you are used to. If all your devices are setup to connect to your third party wireless router, you won't need to reconnect them, they will pick right up.

Thanks!

Call Time Warner billing department.

Why? If that cable modem is being rented from TWC...you're being billed every month for having that wifi chip inside the modem enabled.

But I'm still using their internet though. Do you mean the Wi-Fi chip cost extra money? If so, thanks. I should've just asked for a cable/modem that had not wireless built in. The wireless built in is seriously crap. I can't even play BF3 without being timed out for like every 1 minute.

Thanks

I dont know about your area, but TWC disable ability to log into routers. Most likely you have to call customer support (tier 3) and have them put it in bridge mode. Then you can hook your router to it and have it take over routering.
Current Status:
ISP: TWC
Modem: Arris TG852G (bridge mode)
Router: Wndr3700v1

Call Time Warner billing department. Why? If that cable modem is being rented from TWC...you're being billed every month for having that wifi chip inside the modem enabled.

You're actually being billed for the modem itself, not the features. Unless you buy your own, you pay $3-$5 a month for the rental.

You're actually being billed for the modem itself, not the features. Unless you buy your own, you pay $3-$5 a month for the rental.

Negative.

My local twc charges 2 bucks a month for the wifi to be enabled on top of equipment rental.

Negative.

My local twc charges 2 bucks a month for the wifi to be enabled on top of equipment rental.

I always wondered about that. When you look at their higher priced tiers, they all say "includes free wireless service". No shit, does it include free Ethernet connections too?

I dont know about your area, but TWC disable ability to log into routers. Most likely you have to call customer support (tier 3) and have them put it in bridge mode. Then you can hook your router to it and have it take over routering.
Current Status:
ISP: TWC
Modem: Arris TG852G (bridge mode)
Router: Wndr3700v1

This.

To the OP;

Just take the modem to your local TW store location and swap it out for a regular modem and be sure they change your bill because you're paying extra to have wifi.

Also, a side note. I had the Motorola Gateway with TW and it never caused issues. Maybe there is an issue with your gateway that should be addressed?

Either way, good luck!

I really have no idea what the problem is. But I had them come out before and replaced the modem. Sadly, the modem they replaced was the exact same model I had before. Nonetheless, I'm just going to do the bridging option (and hope to deduct some fees that were charged for the built in wireless), or just replace the modem with a non-built in wireless as you guys suggested.

I also have the new Motorola model modem. I'm pretty sure TW releases the same model modem to everyone because when I asked if they had a stronger wi-fi model they said they only have that one model.

Thanks for all the input!!

Update: So after bridging my router, which took like 2 hours, I still ended up with the same result. Does this mean I have to get like more download speed?

What internet package do you have and what speed are you getting?

I have the 20mb/2mb package. Just earlier I did a speedtest wired and no bridging, I got like 6mb/.95mb. I resetted the modem and also called them (they always do the same thing), and both wirelessly and wired I get the the speed I paid for. However, I know maybe tomorrow or later I will be getting really crappy speeds. Do you know why this happens? It's really annoying.

Thanks

I have the 20mb/2mb package. Just earlier I did a speedtest wired and no bridging, I got like 6mb/.95mb. I resetted the modem and also called them (they always do the same thing), and both wirelessly and wired I get the the speed I paid for. However, I know maybe tomorrow or later I will be getting really crappy speeds. Do you know why this happens? It's really annoying.

Thanks

Unfortuanetly TWC crappy network ! You can always schedule an appointment and have a tech check it out. If nothing wrong with indoor equipment, have him call in a plant job (checking the outside equipment). To see if theres a problem with outside equipment in your area.

Unfortuanetly TWC crappy network ! You can always schedule an appointment and have a tech check it out. If nothing wrong with indoor equipment, have him call in a plant job (checking the outside equipment). To see if theres a problem with outside equipment in your area.

But I had them come 2 times already. Every time they come the internet is fine. It is when they leave that the problem begins. That is why this is so frustrating. So I call and say I need a plant job, and they will know what I am talking about right? Will it be for free?

Thanks

Last edited:
So I call and say I need a plant job, and they will know what I am talking about right? Will it be for free?

Explain the problem and let another tech take a look. Then ask him could it be outside equipment causing the problem and let him call in a plant job to have it check. I don't know about now, but they didn't charge me when I had it done

What does this even mean?

I've worked for 3 major cable companies and have never herd of a "plant job"

What you're trying to tell the OP is that if the tech comes out be sure he checks inside and outside. Ingress/egress, and make sure everything out at the tap looks good......

Most techs will do the right thing and make sure everything is right.

But I had them come 2 times already. Every time they come the internet is fine. It is when they leave that the problem begins. That is why this is so frustrating. So I call and say I need a plant job, and they will know what I am talking about right? Will it be for free?

Thanks

This is why you need to start doing your own troubleshooting.

Try another modem, try another router. Get rid of the gateway......
Write down what times it occurs
Look around you....is a microwave turning on.....is your land line phone ringing?
Could be a silly thing causing it.

Went to an apartment complex and at 6:30Am every morning mon-fri the whole apartment complex's cable would crash.....come to find out it was someones alarm clock that would sync to the atomic hour and it used ethernet to sync....so when his alarm would go off to wake him up.....crashed the whole node.

This is why you need to start doing your own troubleshooting.

Try another modem, try another router. Get rid of the gateway......
Write down what times it occurs
Look around you....is a microwave turning on.....is your land line phone ringing?
Could be a silly thing causing it.

Went to an apartment complex and at 6:30Am every morning mon-fri the whole apartment complex's cable would crash.....come to find out it was someones alarm clock that would sync to the atomic hour and it used ethernet to sync....so when his alarm would go off to wake him up.....crashed the whole node.

Damn...that is one bad ass NTP implementation. :)

What does this even mean?

I've worked for 3 major cable companies and have never herd of a "plant job"

What you're trying to tell the OP is that if the tech comes out be sure he checks inside and outside. Ingress/egress, and make sure everything out at the tap looks good......

Most techs will do the right thing and make sure everything is right.

Maybe its an inside term used by TWC in ny, but either way thats what they call it. And thats what I had to use to confirm the appointment to check my outside equipment.

Back