How to access DWL-3200AP web interface on different subnet

NoodleTech

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a D-Link DWL-3200AP wireless access point. It's configuration IP is 192.168.0.50. My router's subnet is on 192.168.1.1.

How would I go about configuring it through the web interface? I can't access it at this point.

I don't know how to change my subnet over to 192.168.0.x. I'm working with a consumer router (Westell 9100EM provided with verizon FiOS at home). I will be moving the access point to my small business which uses some 2wire router provided by AT&T after configuring it.

Last edited:
Can you connect to the D-Link wirelessly? If so, you can set your ip of your computer to 192.168.0.2 you should be able to access the interface from the ip of the d-link

Last edited:
Set your client machine up with a static IP in the 192.168.0.x range, or you could keep the 192.168.1.x address and change your subnet mask to 255.255.254.0.

Ok thanks! Got it working. Is there any way to make it so when the user connects to the wireless network and opens up a web browser, they are prompted to enter a user name and password before being able to access the internet?

Ok thanks! Got it working. Is there any way to make it so when the user connects to the wireless network and opens up a web browser, they are prompted to enter a user name and password before being able to access the internet?

Yes, A captive portal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal

I know pfsense (freebsd firewall distro) support this. I'm sure their are others out their.

Last edited:
RADIUS is a protocol for authentication, it doesn't do anything user-side. You need a web server and some firewall packet rewriting magic to make a captive portal. Then you can authenticate against radius or whatever other auth scheme you're using. pfSense has a great captive portal implementation. Oh and it's based on FreeBSD not Linux.

oh I see. So would the combination of both RADIUS and a captive portal be ideal? pfSense would run on a standalone computer correct? Does a Cisco ASA5505 or any other Cisco router/firewall product have the capability to implement a captive portal? We are going to purchase a Cisco router/firewall and switch soon. I kind of don't want to run another standalone box with pfSense.

Back