How to access different partition from XP

moeamaya

n00b
Friend got a new Dell computer and I put their old hard drive in the computer. I'm not sure how to access the files in Windows XP. The old harddrive is formatted with Windows 95 but Im not sure of the partition type. I went through the FAQ but I dont quite understand them well enough to apply the info to my situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Formatted in Win95 means FAT32 or FAT16. WinXP reads both of these file formats natively. Assuming the HDD is installed correctly (and there is no weird compression or encryption schemes), it will read it as a drive letter accessible through Explorer or My Computer.

Cheers.

That's what i was thinking, but when i went into my computer and click on the drive it says that the file has yet to be formatted. It is a 6gb harddrive but windows only wants to format 1gb (the free space that was left). So i was assuming that the 5gb was still on there but I dont know how to access it. Thanks again.

You probably need to go into the disk manager and import it. Right click on My computer and choose manage.

almostinsane1 said:
You probably need to go into the disk manager and import it. Right click on My computer and choose manage..

Thanks that's what I was looking for.

Back