How often do you clean your gear?

theDreamer

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
2,513
As I pick up more items I am noticing the dust collection and me cleaning more often than before. I am wondering with those of you with larger setups how often do you clean? Other question, maybe more important, is what do you use to clean your equipment? Any certain items to look at or not look at specifically.
 
Ummm.... Never?

If you do find yourself infested with dust bunnies, I'd suggest nothing more than the vacuum cleaner (with a plastic attachment).
 
Ummm.... Never?

If you do find yourself infested with dust bunnies, I'd suggest nothing more than the vacuum cleaner (with a plastic attachment).

It is not so much dust bunnies, but I am very compulsive about getting things clean and neat so any little amount of dust bothers me so I attempt to keep it clean.
 
The thing that keeps my PC the cleanest is having it a few feet off he floor.
I dust it out 2 or 3 times a year using a Dyson mega suck.
 
I dust all my equipment about once every 2 weeks with a feather duster and I use a damp microfibre cloth to clean my LCD screen and the glossy frame on it. Those microfibre cloths work great and are good for cleaning your glasses too. You can buy them at stores like Zellers etc for about $3.00 to $4.00 dollars. I got mine for free at Zellers when they were doing a promotional demo for the cloths. I clean out the interior of my three PC's about once every 4 - 6 months with those cans of compressed air.
 
just use damp microfiber for surface cleaning and air compressor outside for blowing out the case
 
It is not so much dust bunnies, but I am very compulsive about getting things clean and neat so any little amount of dust bothers me so I attempt to keep it clean.

If you're talking about the OUTSIDE of the gear, then perhaps dust that when you're doing everything else. Damp paper towels or whatever you're using work fine for that. If you're talking about the INSIDE of the stuff (which I assumed, why would you ask about the outside?) vacuum cleaners work great. Perhaps compressed air if you're super neat-compulsive, but a vacuum works fine.
 
I read you shouldn't use vacuum cleaners to clean out the inside because they can create a static charge. Don't know how much weight to put in it but that is what I read some time ago anyway.
 
I read you shouldn't use vacuum cleaners to clean out the inside because they can create a static charge. Don't know how much weight to put in it but that is what I read some time ago anyway.

Absolutely right if you use the brush attachments.
On sensitive parts, Its best to loosen dust first with a paintbrush and use the long vacuum nozzle inside the pc.
Alternatively, use compressed air but careful not to damage anything, probably best done outside as well or the dust will be recycled :)
 
I dust it out 2 or 3 times a year using a Dyson mega suck.
Due to some strange compulsion, I Googled "Dyson mega suck" and, interestingly, this thread was the first hit.

For whatever reason, I thought it might actually be a real Dyson product.
 
i live in what seems to be the dustiest dorm room on earth, so I clean and organize most of my stuff at least once a week. I'll admit I'm a bit of a neat freak but hey, I paid for the stuff might as well have it look nice. My biggest problem is the shiny black Bezel around my TV/PC screen (think PS3 finish), I swear dust is magnetized to it. For my PC I usually grab the ol microfiber cloth 'n' water along with a can of air.

i never use a vacuum on anything but the floor just to be safe.
 
Due to some strange compulsion, I Googled "Dyson mega suck" and, interestingly, this thread was the first hit.

For whatever reason, I thought it might actually be a real Dyson product.

rofl
It'd be sweet if they did make one with that name tho :D
 
OK, someone design the "Dyson Mega Suck" and sell it on late night infomercials. You are sure to get rich quick doing that. Make sure to hire some obnoxious BS artist to do the infomercials for you too. The more obnoxious the better.
 
I use Swiffer Duster... it rests on my audio rack. I used to clean about once per week, but I've gotten so busy lately that I rarely clean now. I still try about once every 2-3 weeks.
 
Not sure what cleaning has to do with Computer Audio, but...

If Mega Maid is not available, I use my vacuum cleaner with a brush nozzle. The brush nozzle works well for heatsinks and fans. I hold onto the case while vacuuming to give myself a ground just in case there is static, but I've never lost a component from static discharge. If there is a LOT of dust, then I take it outside and use the air compressor and finish it off with the brush nozzle. About once every 4-6 months...
 
Not sure what cleaning has to do with Computer Audio, but...

If Mega Maid is not available, I use my vacuum cleaner with a brush nozzle. The brush nozzle works well for heatsinks and fans. I hold onto the case while vacuuming to give myself a ground just in case there is static, but I've never lost a component from static discharge. If there is a LOT of dust, then I take it outside and use the air compressor and finish it off with the brush nozzle. About once every 4-6 months...

It is referred to how often people clean their audio gear, or how often they feel it needs to be clean. Just a bit of a survey to see what people do and such.
 
The answer depends on how dusty the location is. For my speakers, probably just dust if off when I feel like it. But normally, if you clean the inside of the PC every 6 months, it should be fine. I know some people never clean the inside, that is why their PC dies. Yep, the fan dies due to dust, and overheats, the PC dies.
 
Back
Top